Interesting and peculiar things along the way | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting and peculiar things along the way

dirtbag

When the Squeeze and I plan a trip we usually research ghost towns** and other interesting sites along the way. Good examples would be the burning ghost town of Centalia PA, the Kinzua bridge collaspe site and the Fugitive train wreck site in Dillsboro NC. Staid sites like museums and historical monuments usually get a quick drive by or passed over all together.

I'm wondering what sites others might recommend (especially those in the Eastern US).

**Although I've explored some real abandoned ghost towns most are towns that have been badly hurt economically and are now "ghosted" with numerous shuttered and abandoned building. Others are preserved in park like settings such a Thurmond WV.

The Smithsonian Air Museum ( the one at DUlles Airport tho the downtown Washington one is good too ) is only staid if you think being up close and personal with The Enola Gay, the Concorde, The Blackbird and the Space Shuttle amongst many many more.

Letchworth Park is pretty and good food.

The Corning Glass Museum is well worth a look AND very good food.

Interesting thing today wandering around Jabiru - but off course for North Americans...

Screenshot2014-04-21atApr21201451515PM_zps9efaafda.jpg

You gotta love any country where the birds are big enough to kill you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the Squeeze and I plan a trip we usually research ghost towns** and other interesting sites along the way. Good examples would be the burning ghost town of Centalia PA, the Kinzua bridge collaspe site and the Fugitive train wreck site in Dillsboro NC. Staid sites like museums and historical monuments usually get a quick drive by or passed over all together.

I'm wondering what sites others might recommend (especially those in the Eastern US).

**Although I've explored some real abandoned ghost towns most are towns that have been badly hurt economically and are now "ghosted" with numerous shuttered and abandoned building. Others are preserved in park like settings such a Thurmond WV.

Trying to find true "ghost towns in the U.S. is hampered by the Yank's entrepreneurial spirit which I don't necessarily mean in a bad way :) Route 66 is a perfect example - plaster a 66 on any flea bag motel or roadhouse and its a tourist attraction.

Jerome and Oatman are two trendy "ghost towns" in Arizona that I loved despite the fact the vendors and hawkers have taken them over - they are still cool and the rides in and out of both of them are awesome enough reasons to go there.

Definitely going to check out Centralia one of these days. I've yet to see it but would love to. I recall seeing something on tv about American ghost towns. Is it Nevada or maybe Arizona that has several? I know Calico California has one and it's a tourist thing now.

Last edited:
Sorry MacDoc but planes in a building still rate a pass.

Roomie, Centralia is neat and if you get a good start you can be there by mid afternoon.

Last edited:
Sorry MacDoc but planes in a building still rate a pass.

Roomie, Centralia is neat and if you get a good start you can be there by mid afternoon.

I don't think the Garber facility has tours any more but it's where they rebuild the planes that go into the Smithstonian. Lots of ghosts there.

There are numerous "Ghosty" site in Ontario. A lot depends on how one interprets "Private Property". I recall seeing some books on the subject.

TVO has a program coming, "Lost Highway" IIRC about hwy 7 around Kaladar. More abandoned than ghost.

A lot of old mine towns get flattened when the mines close due to potential liabilities.

Route 66 is a stretch in more ways than one. Guide books show you a picture of an old motel but the caption reads "This is an old motel that no longer exists". BTW if you do R66 how many burger joints can you eat in per day? How many weird motels can you stay in?

your loss OP
it's your time - world history up close has its appeal - especially aircraft
rust belt towns have a caution.

Thanks Nobbie. Turns out I have a very loose interpretation of private property, I forget how many abandoned buildings and houses I've been in (trespassed??). I used to go 4 wheeling up north to explore ghost towns but you need to travel so far to get to the few remaining decent sites.

Thanks but no thank MacDoc - but it's good to see you're still trying to impose your world order.

The title is interesting and peculiar - if you don't want to go don't go.
I found it fascinating as have millions others. Dusty boring museums don't interest me...the Black Bird up close does.

If you want to go rattling around old buildings be my guest...just get your tetanus booster.....total yawn like antique stores but the Alaska Highway is chock full of abandoned places so I'll post up a few pics if the thread is still around.

How about BoBlo Island (Amherstberg / Windsor area)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrg_K3e7uyk

If that's too dull there's always downtown Detroit. :)

Access by private ferry. I'd check first.

P.S. I'm not into starchy museums either but the Garber was a hoot. The guide took you through a scrap yard of WWII relics stacked up like firewood. You heard of the Huey chopper that was on display for several years before they realized the guns were loaded and other tales. We got to wander through the shop as the trades were restoring the Enola Gay and an Arado bomber.

Static displays behind plexiglass with "Push button for information" is pretty dull. What's the sense of looking at a tomahawk if you can't pick it up and scalp someone? :)

Last edited:
The Corning Glass Museum is well worth a look AND very good food.

I found a lot of interesting stuff at Corning.. surprize to me.. that glass isn't as simple as one might think!!

in the same neighborhood is Glenn H. Curtiss Museum with motorcycles, airplanes and boats etc... I havn't made it there yet tho... I have been recommended to go, and will try this fall...
www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/‎

Watkins Glen.. roads , scenery, actual "glen" gorge trail,, the track... downtown...

Ithaca... the falls.. the roads,,, scenery,

have you tried
http://www.motorcycleroads.com

Thanks for this tip!

Thanks for the pics, will have to check it out next time I'm in the area.

PS, I think it was you that was talking to me at L&L tonight, sorry I couldn't chat, had to get going.

Back
Top Bottom