fixing leaky faucet in basemnt? | GTAMotorcycle.com

fixing leaky faucet in basemnt?

rashidme

First time home owner here. Went to the basement today and noticed the hot water faucet in laundry room was leaking, probably bad o-ring? Traced down the pipe and noticed it is going straight to the heater with no shut off valve. Now to fix the faucet do I just turn off the main water supply to the house near the meter? What about the heater since I am going to shut off the main water? do i put the heater on pilot or don't bother.

I am sure some of you have had to fix similar issue. please help!

Turn off the main water valve,drain the system and go from there,don't through away all that hot water it's money.

Turn off the main water valve,drain the system and go from there,don't through away all that hot water it's money.

lol i am going to save it for a shower.

My apologies for asking stupid question but when you say drain the system you are implying to leave the faulty faucet on? obviously after shutting down main valve.

lol i am going to save it for a shower.

My apologies for asking stupid question but when you say drain the system you are implying to leave the faulty faucet on? obviously after shutting down main valve.

Yea drain till its dry. Best advice is add 2 shut off valve for the hot and cold. Both thats easy access. 1 that is for emergency and the other is to be used whenever you need to shut off the supply. This way the valve u always use to shut off the water goes bad, you can use the emergency shut off valve to fix the other shut off valve. Hope that makes sense.

Shut off main valve.
Unscrew defective tap
Replace O ring.

I've seen whole cores for sale, not just the o ring

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Yea drain till its dry. Best advice is add 2 shut off valve for the hot and cold. Both thats easy access. 1 that is for emergency and the other is to be used whenever you need to shut off the supply. This way the valve u always use to shut off the water goes bad, you can use the emergency shut off valve to fix the other shut off valve. Hope that makes sense.

+1 for adding shut off valve.

Back
Top Bottom