Help! Gas tank won't open! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help! Gas tank won't open!

sirani5

[h=2]So my 2009 kawi is having some issues. Everything else is good but my key won't turn in the lock which is pretty inconvenient since i am almost at empty.....newbie problems.[/h]

I've read that I should try putting lube into the lock mechanism. It seems that people use WD-40, machine oil or a graphite formula?

Just wondering if there is something I should use over the other. And lastly if it doesn't work does that mean I have to replace my lock?

Looking forward to any advise!​

WD40 Penetrating fluid worked for me on my ZX12.

WD40 in the key hole, and try pushing down on the gas cap (the end opposite the hinge) while trying to turn the key.

My 2c worth.
Do not use oil. Oil is not ok as it slimes up and collects dirt. Graphite does not usually help. Clogs. If you can find Ronson Multi Lube. Best stuff in the World. (WD 40 2nd best)
Locks are best kept clean free of anything that ends up slimy.
Whatever spray you use, cover the area with a cloth so it does not backsplash on you. Stains. Spray, work the key in and out then try.
Good recommendations here.
Good Luck.

Spray your key with wd40 then pretend your finger banging old Mary Jane Rotten Crotch.

If all that fails, drain and remove tank. Prying it out will probably scuff or dent tank.

if the WD 40 doesnt work, you can just unbolt it, take it off your bike and disassemble it. Maybe try to clean it out after you get it off the bike.

if the WD 40 doesnt work, you can just unbolt it, take it off your bike and disassemble it. Maybe try to clean it out after you get it off the bike.

Pretty sure it doesn't have the imperial hex bolts.

$(KGrHqVHJDkE+LVh6uoiBQI9SDFUs!~~60_35.JPG

If your key goes into the slot..PUSH AND TURN...apply downwards pressure on the cap itself with one hand and then twist the key with the other hand...it will open!

So my 2009 kawi is having some issues. Everything else is good but my key won't turn in the lock which is pretty inconvenient since i am almost at empty.....newbie problems.

I've read that I should try putting lube into the lock mechanism. It seems that people use WD-40, machine oil or a graphite formula?

Just wondering if there is something I should use over the other. And lastly if it doesn't work does that mean I have to replace my lock?

Looking forward to any advise!​

I've had a dodgy tank keyhole in the past and have even broken a key off in there. The locking mechanism (the little metal tabs that keep the gas cap in place and slide in when you turn the key....best way i can describe it) were stuck, I had to apply a healthy dose of chain wax in there while turning the key over and over again to make sure the wax worked its way in there to fix it. Layer a clean rag over the tank if you do this so you don't get any wax in/on the gas tank.

If your key goes into the slot..PUSH AND TURN...apply downwards pressure on the cap itself with one hand and then twist the key with the other hand...it will open!

+1 for the above.
I have had gas caps with the same fault but it only been because of the spring pressure trying to push it up that stops the key from seating properly. Push cap down and turn key.

+1 for the above.
I have had gas caps with the same fault but it only been because of the spring pressure trying to push it up that stops the key from seating properly. Push cap down and turn key.

+1 For pushing down on cap

Back
Top Bottom