First Attendance Representation | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Attendance Representation

Deanmac

My girlfriend got a couple of tickets the other day. One for speeding, the other for failure to produce a valid insurance slip. I can deal with the speeding. From what I have read on this site, it's not a slam dunk to fight the insurance slip but I at least want to try going to first attendance with her valid slip.

My question - can I represent her at first attendance as her agent to present the slip or does she have to do it? If I can represent her, do I need a letter from her authorizing me to act on her behalf or a notarized letter? She works north of the city, I work downtown, where she got the tickets, so it's easier for me to run to court on her behalf.

Thanks in advance.

If she has insurance she can just go to the police station with her insurance slip and they'll cancel the ticket. I've had it happen to me and that's all I did.

Same if you get a ticket for having a tail light or head light out. You just get it replaced and then to the cop shop and show them the new light and they'll void the ticket

You don't need a letter of authorization, you just have to orally say that you're there on her behalf. You'll be forced to fight the tickets together, in a plea-deal the 'Insurance Card' will get dropped and you'll be given a reduced speed.

@drey how long ago did this cancellation occur? this is news to me, especially in the GTA. Insurance Slip tickets IMO are not the same as "tail-light out" tickets; with the "tail-light" you have a due diligence defence, where you can argue that when you left for the road... all the lights were working, but during the drive it died.

Before you put the car in drive, you have to make sure that all the documentation (ownership, insurance, driver's license) is valid.

I've seen the scenario where the driver can't find his insurance slip; officer writes up a ticket, as he's giving the ticket to the driver... the driver shows the officer the insurance slip. Guess what? That ticket is still valid.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90c25_e.htm

Operator to carry insurance card
3. (1) An operator of a motor vehicle on a highway shall have in the motor vehicle at all times,
(a) an insurance card for the motor vehicle; or
(b) an insurance card evidencing that the operator is insured under a contract of automobile insurance,
and the operator shall surrender the insurance card for reasonable inspection upon the demand of a police officer. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.25, s. 3 (1).​

After the ticket is written and submitted to the courts, it's in the hands of the prosecutor.

I am going in mid May, for ERM, (Early Resolution Meeting), with crown for a insurance slip ticket. Last time I was at the same court house for a ERM, the crown before starting the meetings announced, "anyone here on a fail to produce insurance, have your slip available for inspection when you come into the meeting" This indicated that at least at the High Tech courthouse that day with that crown if you had a valid slip he would be cancelling. But it is not a guaranteed outcome.

As for the voiding tickets at the police station that is how it USED to be done back when I was a copper but that was 30 years ago..LOL They don't, (to the best of my knowledge do this anymore).

I went to Newmarket for a fail to show insurance. I had contacted my insurance broker and asked her to write up a letter verifying that I did indeed have valid insurance on the day in question. I sat down and explained that I truly honestly thought I had my slip, and here it is along with a letter from my broker. The prosecutor scribbled something on her paperwork and said she cancelled it and to have a nice day. I thanked her profusely and did have a very nice day.

You don't need a letter of authorization, you just have to orally say that you're there on her behalf. You'll be forced to fight the tickets together, in a plea-deal the 'Insurance Card' will get dropped and you'll be given a reduced speed.

Can I not do the tickets separately? I'd like to defend the speeding ticket through the court. Interesting comment made by the officer to my girlfriend was that he said if she did have a the insurance slip, he would have let her off on the speeding ticket. From what I read on this forum, this sounds like a common result - "hey while I got you on the insurance, what the hell, I'll just add in the speeding while I'm at it." I'm sure it assists them in negotiating a plea deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
drey how long ago did this cancellation occur? this is news to me, especially in the GTA. Insurance Slip tickets IMO are not the same as "tail-light out" tickets; with the "tail-light" you have a due diligence defence, where you can argue that when you left for the road... all the lights were working, but during the drive it died.

This happened to me during university, probably 8 years ago. I just told the cop that I had forgotten to switch my slip when I got my renewal and he just informed me to go to the police station with proof of insurance and they could cancel it. Things might be different now but it worked for me a while back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if they ask to see your insurance papers and you cant show them its an automatic ticket even if you do have, must be carried at all times while driving cant be left at home.
happend to someone i know, they left the house but forgot wallet so fine for not having insurance paper stands.

if they ask to see your insurance papers and you cant show them its an automatic ticket even if you do have, must be carried at all times while driving cant be left at home.
happend to someone i know, they left the house but forgot wallet so fine for not having insurance paper stands.

So they went to meet the prosecutor and they didn't cancel the ticket for your buddy?

Of course in all technicality it is a slam dunk ticket, but I would imagine if you showed remorse and didn't walk in with a crooked hat or baggy jeans, then they will dismiss it for you.

Hell, i got a ticket for not having a new sticker after five months. I dressed nice and can speak properly. I even laughed and said my forgetfulness is not a valid reason and that I had no valid reason, but that I was really sorry and I sure as hell won't do it again.

If she has insurance she can just go to the police station with her insurance slip and they'll cancel the ticket. I've had it happen to me and that's all I did.

Same if you get a ticket for having a tail light or head light out. You just get it replaced and then to the cop shop and show them the new light and they'll void the ticket

This was a possibility perhaps 20 years ago and may still be in smaller jurisdictions, but it certainly isn't in the GTA.

If you would like to deal with the tickets separately, ie. first attendance meeting for the insurance, and trial for the speeding Yes you can do that. Just file two notice to appear in court forms separately, with one indicating you would like to meet with the prosecutor, you will then show up in the appoint time slot for your meeting and show prove of insurance, your insurance ticket will be dropped on the spot. Then just wait for the letter to appear in court for the speeding ticket.

Either way your insurance ticket is nothing to worry about, the judge will also drop it (with prove of insurance) even if you don't choose first attendance meeting.

That bring it to station and it'll b thrown out is a thing of the past. Bring it to court and show the slip... More than likely the ticket will b thrown out. Of course to the plea of guilt to the speed....

This happened to me during university, probably 8 years ago. I just told the cop that I had forgotten to switch my slip when I got my renewal and he just informed me to go to the police station with proof of insurance and they could cancel it. Things might be different now but it worked for me a while back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that's him doing you a favour, it's not a rule.

If you would like to deal with the tickets separately, ie. first attendance meeting for the insurance, and trial for the speeding Yes you can do that. Just file two notice to appear in court forms separately, with one indicating you would like to meet with the prosecutor, you will then show up in the appoint time slot for your meeting and show prove of insurance, your insurance ticket will be dropped on the spot. Then just wait for the letter to appear in court for the speeding ticket.

Either way your insurance ticket is nothing to worry about, the judge will also drop it (with prove of insurance) even if you don't choose first attendance meeting.

This. You have to get creative.

Back
Top Bottom