Should I keep my mouth shut? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I keep my mouth shut?

Mukala

I am 23 with my m2 from rti. Right now I am insured for my cbr250 for $2700 a year for full coverage. When I got insured, I had 2 speeding tickets and 1 at fault accident from 2 years back.

Now early this year, I got in another at fault accident. I am also getting my M in a couple months.

When I get my M, should I call and let them know to hopefully get a lower rate? Will they recheck my record and ding me more than what I will gain for a M, for my accident?

Also, will they ding me when I renew my policy at the end of the summer?

If it makes any difference both accidents were In a car and the one from earlier this year was from that crazy ice storm we had.

Last edited:
They will generally not give you a discount for having your full M.

As far as I know you're obligated to inform them of any accidents, and with 2 at faults and 2 tickets you'll get dropped faster than the pants off my ex girlfriend at a Three Days Grace show. Or if they find out later, they'll pro-rate your PRIOR months AND jack up your rates for the future.

If you're very lucky, they won't check your abstract on renewal, but at-faults last 7 years. How long do you plan on getting away with it?

If I've had 2 at faults in 2 years while driving a car, I think I'd be nervous getting on 2 wheels. Just 1 accident, at fault or not, while riding might just be the last 1 you ever have. Honestly good luck with your insurance for the car or bike, I think you'll find it hard getting any with 2 at faults and 2 speeding tickets in 2 years.

I don't think most companies discount for a full M. If I were you I would keep my mouth shut. Don't buy a new bike, don't buy a new car, don't change coverages. Don't give them any reason to run your record cause I have a feeling when they find a second at fault on your record that will be the end of riding for you for a while.

I wouldn't say a word. That said I'd die if my insurance was that bad on a 250. That's beyond insane. I wouldn't even be riding or I'd be moving to another place where they at least use some lube.

you'll get dropped faster than the pants off my ex girlfriend at a Three Days Grace show.

I guess we'll have to find out who that girl is don't we?

As stated earlier, I consider changing the way you drive

with this driving record, i would say go and take some driving courses or stay the hell off the rds

I wouldn't say a word. That said I'd die if my insurance was that bad on a 250. That's beyond insane. I wouldn't even be riding or I'd be moving to another place where they at least use some lube.

You must be over 30, or live in moosonee. Every time I look at insurance, I strongly contemplate leaving Ontario. There's so much to hate about this place that it almost makes it not worth it.

Most of the time - they will run your record at the renewal time. If you have too many convictions you'd see a huge hike or coverage will be terminated .

you people are *****

1 - Do not call your insurance for any reason, stay quiet and away from them until your tickets expire 3 years from conviction.
2 - Do not call them to report you got a ticket, you are not required by law as discussed in another thread.
3 - If you are with state farm, they don't give a damn about your M status license, you wont get a discount, don't know about other insurance companies.

you people are *****

1 - Do not call your insurance for any reason, stay quiet and away from them until your tickets expire 3 years from conviction.
2 - Do not call them to report you got a ticket, you are not required by law as discussed in another thread.
3 - If you are with state farm, they don't give a damn about your M status license, you wont get a discount, don't know about other insurance companies.

Hiding a speeding or similar ticket, nbd. Hiding an at-fault collision is a little harder bro

When a ticket expires do you guys call your insurance companies to tell them?

Because if they don't pull up your record every single year then how will they know your ticket dropped?

You must be over 30, or live in moosonee. Every time I look at insurance, I strongly contemplate leaving Ontario. There's so much to hate about this place that it almost makes it not worth it.

Not sure why you are still here we got after the first 50 threads you posted in about how the insurance industry here in Ontario is corrupt and screwing us all. It is really necessary to post the same thing over and over again? Do you think the insurers will read your posts and say "how crap he is right, let's fix this today"..LOL I have news for you, the rates are not going to dramatically decrease anytime soon. So if it is really that irritating to you then I would recommend you consider moving now why wait. The longer you wait the more you have paid them to screw you, (cause we all know they are only screwing you, and not the rest of us)..lol

To the OP, you are required to report an at fault accident, (doesn't matter to the insurer weather it was in a cage or on your bike, an accident is an accident and increases your risk level to them). The "could" refuse a future claim saying you failed to disclose the accident, Not sure if the accident was reported by other party to their insurer, (If it was then your insurer will already know as that insurer will notify your insurer to pay out the claim). With 2 convictions and 2 at fault accidents prepare for your insurer to drop you and you will be going into the facility market, for at least a couple of years until your convictions clear. You are likely better off parking the bike and just maintaining the fire/theft insurance on it during this time. That way you have continuous coverage for a bike when you get out of the facility market.

Either way with your driving record, as others have stated may be time to evaluate your driving/riding habits. I commute approx 250 km per day, 6 days a week so I have ample opportunity to get tickets etc, but because of my driving/riding style I have one conviction in the last 10 years. So your driving style is at best aggresive, at worst a danger to yourself and every other road user near you.

Almost all tickets and accidents can be avoided simply by paying attention out there.

Not without exception but in Ontario the police are generally not hiding their speed traps. Normally they're out in the open and only catching the person who is asleep as the wheel and speeding. If you want to sleep at the wheel, slow down. That won't help you with those accidents though.

I would read your policy to better understand your obligations about reporting the accident. If you need to, and choose not to, and you have another accident and someone is injured, it could ruin you financially for life. Hundreds of thousands isn't that hard to get to. If you don't have to, I would never call them and be happy if they keep sending you those outrageous monthly insurance bills. I think that bike insurance is a complete rip and my 250 only costs me 700 a year. The parent in me wants to tell you to stop wasting that money and sell the bike and just drive for awhile.

Two at faults and you're 23. Do us all a favor and take public transit. Obviously you can't safely navigate the roads on 4 wheels you may not get a chance for another at fault on two wheels. They have a thread on this forum specially for people like you. It brings sadness to all of us when we read it. Don't make yourself another thread on this forum. Use common sense, it sounds like the least of your worries is what your insurance will cost. To harsh?

Yep over 30 and after living in Alberta for 9 years trust me. It's worth it. Insurance here is a scam plain and simple. That said those with bad records should pay. It's the people with clean records who get bent over that I feel bad for.

Yep over 30 and after living in Alberta for 9 years trust me. It's worth it. Insurance here is a scam plain and simple. That said those with bad records should pay. It's the people with clean records who get bent over that I feel bad for.

You can tell how bad insurance is marketed up when you look at provinces where the government runs the insurance corporation like ICBC.

This is why more people need to sign up with insurance groups from Quebec.

Not sure why you are still here we got after the first 50 threads you posted in about how the insurance industry here in Ontario is corrupt and screwing us all. It is really necessary to post the same thing over and over again? Do you think the insurers will read your posts and say "how crap he is right, let's fix this today"..LOL I have news for you, the rates are not going to dramatically decrease anytime soon. So if it is really that irritating to you then I would recommend you consider moving now why wait. The longer you wait the more you have paid them to screw you, (cause we all know they are only screwing you, and not the rest of us)..lol

To the OP, you are required to report an at fault accident, (doesn't matter to the insurer weather it was in a cage or on your bike, an accident is an accident and increases your risk level to them). The "could" refuse a future claim saying you failed to disclose the accident, Not sure if the accident was reported by other party to their insurer, (If it was then your insurer will already know as that insurer will notify your insurer to pay out the claim). With 2 convictions and 2 at fault accidents prepare for your insurer to drop you and you will be going into the facility market, for at least a couple of years until your convictions clear. You are likely better off parking the bike and just maintaining the fire/theft insurance on it during this time. That way you have continuous coverage for a bike when you get out of the facility market.

Either way with your driving record, as others have stated may be time to evaluate your driving/riding habits. I commute approx 250 km per day, 6 days a week so I have ample opportunity to get tickets etc, but because of my driving/riding style I have one conviction in the last 10 years. So your driving style is at best aggresive, at worst a danger to yourself and every other road user near you.

This is the correct response -- it is in your contract that you must inform your insurer of claims and anything short is misrepresentation. The insurer will find out on their own anyway, since the claims abstract is pulled from CGIC every year anyway (I think)? The convictions history may or may not be pulled every year from the the MTO because it's pretty pricey. Companies use models to predict the clients most likely to have a conviction and then purchase their reports.

Good luck OP.

Back
Top Bottom