Warranty Blues | GTAMotorcycle.com

Warranty Blues

Joots

So, first of all, this thread is more venting than actual complaint about a shop. Just to make that clear before I say anything else.

This tale starts on april 9th (wednesday). My Ninja 300 needs to go into the shop for the recalls on it ( ECU, rear brake bracket, and ABS check/possible replace). I take it in wednesday night so they can work on it while I'm at work the thursday.

Thursday while at work I get a first call from the shop, they started early, got the ECU and brake bracket done, haden't checked the ABS unit yet, but the tech noted that the steering head bearings were notched slightly. Since this was under warranty still, it could be done at no cost. Since they needed to order in the parts, I said to only do it if the ABS unit also needed to be swapped (they also needed to order parts for that too). Got another call later on, saying the ABS unit did also need replacing.

At this point my bike was obviously not going to be ready for pickup that night. They needed 3 days to get the parts. Amazing. So now, by my luck I don't have my bike for my birthday (which was the 13th).

Fast forward to this week, no calls from them until Wednesday (16th) when I called them to check on it. They said they have the parts, but no tech got to my bike today. Ok, fair enough, got a bit behind today. They said it should be done today (thursday, the following day). I get a call from them today at like 3pm, saying "sorry, one of our techs had to go home, your bike isn't going to be ready until monday now".

This is now the point when I'm starting to get kinda ******. It was supposed to be in the shop for 1 day. This is now being drawn out to 12 days there. I won't have had my bike for 2 weekends.

I'm not trying to call out the shop, because, I know for warranty claims, they can't order some of the parts (in this case the ABS unit) beforehand to swap out. But dammit, I'm missing out a lot of time on this. The one tech had to go home, so, who's bike got worked on that had been there a shorter time than mine, and got returned?

I know this thread is rather pointless, but I miss my bike and want it back. The winter was long enough without having to deal with this too...

Also remember that warranty work isn't rated at the same cost to the dealership than is regular repairs. So if your the dealership owner and you get compensated at $50 per hour to do warranty work, or you can charge a "paying customer" $125 per hour guess whose bike takes priority?

It doesn't seem fair but it is business. same as tow companies who work under contract for CAA. Back a couple of decades ago when I drove a tow truck, if I picked up a stranded motorist on the side of the road, then I got 60% of the tow charge normally, ($100+). If I took a CAA call I got paid $17.50 flat rate. Guess who got the tow first?..lol. Same with accidents if two vehicles involved you tried to get the non CAA vehcile, tow bill could be a few hundred as opposed to CAA which was still the $17.50 flat rate..lol

I once had to wait two months in the prime of the season to get warranty work on my bike. A single ****ing valve held up the repair because it was on back order for weeks. It was a 15 dollar part for a $1500 repair...Now that I think about it I should have just ordered one online at my own cost and given it to them.

at the end of the day they rebuilt my engine at no cost to me after I ****ed up a valve adjustment attempt...so I can't really complain. Kwai extended warranty FTW!!!

I don't meant to piss in your Cheerios, but every bike shop around here is going to be absolutely swamped with service work for the next two months. That's just how it goes in the spring. Is there a reason why you could not have taken the bike into the shop at some point over the winter?

When your bike gets put on the back burner while waiting for parts there are many other bikes also waiting for parts. It's a constant juggling act fitting in new service work and pulling bikes back onto a work bench when parts arrive. It's easy to think that when your parts arrive they'll resume work on your bike right away but in reality there are other bikes already waiting in line ahead of yours.

It's just a sad reality of the industry. Once upon a time I missed my M2 road test because my 7R was stuck in the shop waiting for back ordered parts.

It still sucks to sit by in your cage, watching bikes go by, while yours is stuck in the shop... Especially on nice weekends.

How are the steering head bearings already finished on a basically new bike?

I know the feeling, and it definitely does suck, even more so when the bike is your only mode of transportation! My clutch was slipping last spring at the beginning of April, I already had an extra set of clutch plates, so I figured why not and swapped them myself with the help of a friend. Ran into an issue where once everything was buttoned back up the clutch would not engage at all, so broke down and took it to a shop. Turns out for my STM clutch the clutch and friction plates go in a different order than the stock clutch and that was what was causing the issue. In all the time they had it they looked at it twice, once when it first came in; and once at the end of June about a month after I found the STM installation instructions and dropped them off to them. They ended up charging me almost $500 to remove the clutch cover, swap the plates around, and put the cover back on while taking 3 months to do it.

it sucks dude.

your venting is valid, especially as it was a very annoying winter. and certainly as you've stated, it's nothing against the shop… and others have mentioned this sort of thing happens.

hope you get your bike back soon and start enjoying the riding season.
we can all relate to wanting to get on the bike and ride.

OP, you must be a hard core rider, I'd like to know how many of the 12 days you would have actually ridden your bike had you had it......really come on, it's been friggen cold, wet, and we even had snow, low temps......I have a working bike and in the last 12 days I used it 2 times, heck even today sucks, it's cold, it's raining, so another day of not riding, even though my bike is sitting in the garage ready to go....

be honest, in the 12 days how many days would you really have gone out and rode......if 10 out of the 12 days, then like I said you are a really hard core rider.....

but I also wonder as did another poster, why did you not bring the bike in for the work earlier......like a month or 2 back.....

I am not even going to ask about the notched head bearings,,,,on a practically brand new bike, really......

OP, you must be a hard core rider, I'd like to know how many of the 12 days you would have actually ridden your bike had you had it......really come on, it's been friggen cold, wet, and we even had snow, low temps......I have a working bike and in the last 12 days I used it 2 times, heck even today sucks, it's cold, it's raining, so another day of not riding, even though my bike is sitting in the garage ready to go....

be honest, in the 12 days how many days would you really have gone out and rode......if 10 out of the 12 days, then like I said you are a really hard core rider.....

Really? I've been out every day unless it snowed. It's not that big of a deal. I empathize with the op. Hopefully you get it back soon

I don't think it makes anyone hard core. It's just different from some people is all. I try to get out anytime I can :dontknow:

Just knowing the bike is sitting there ready to go can have a calming effect on the psyche no matter what the weather actually does. To wit, I'm not riding atm but am high as a kite knowing I could. ymmv Also that I'm gonna have KFC later today .......:cool:

I don't think it makes anyone hard core. It's just different from some people is all. I try to get out anytime I can :dontknow:

so do I.....I just don't see the OP as that type of rider is all I am saying, I don't think he really missed much in the 12 days, I have a hard time believing he would have been out as much as say you.....

I was just trying to get some perspective is all

I guess he is anxious to get out, presuming he is a new rider, I can understand his wants,,,,,but I don't think he missed much, maybe 2 or 3 days at most....

I was not knocking the OP, I just saw it in a different light is all....

Hey I try to get out as much as possible as well, heck even tried yesterday morning, but being around 0 degree's it was just a bit on the chilly side....today it's 11 but raining.....so no riding either, but I bet by tomorrow and most of next week I will be on the bike....now with the nice weather next week, I could understand the OP more if he still does not have his bike.....

Good question, since it was covered by warranty, I don't really care if they wanted to charge Kawi canada more for the labour on it.

As for riding, I'm generally good to go unless it's under like 2C... Last weekend had a bunch of good opportunities to ride, and a few of the warmer nights this week.

300s have head bearing issues ...

Joots...who's the shop /dealer u went to....pm me if you don't want to blotch them up here...

Patients is a virtue. Looks like getting my wheels powder coated will take about a week.

To the op . I understand your pain but you do have to understand it is very busy at every single bike shop. I brought my bike in at the beginning of March and still waited about 2 weeks or so to get it back .. eventually you'll get it back ... it's not like the dealer is keeping it from you. Things take time . You'll get it back soon !

To the op . I understand your pain but you do have to understand it is very busy at every single bike shop. I brought my bike in at the beginning of March and still waited about 2 weeks or so to get it back .. eventually you'll get it back ... it's not like the dealer is keeping it from you. Things take time . You'll get it back soon !

Yeah, this is true... It just escalated rather quickly from 1 day onwards.

It's just kinda frustrating to be driving home on a lovely day, seeing dozens of bikes passing by you, and not being able to zip home and get my bike out for a quick boot around town.

Back
Top Bottom