Super Sport Insurance Young Rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Super Sport Insurance Young Rider

Gotta wait till you're 21 for reasonable rates ($3000-4000) for a supersport.

You call Intact for a 250 quote?

Yeah I guess, but it's just so discouraging and the immediate age stereotype and how anything with the word "sport" the price sky rockets...

Plastics add horsepower. Ontario is a scam with insurance on all you younger people. It's not right at all. For now I'd skip the ss and look at either something naked, super motor etc. You can still have lots of fun on other bikes. What about looking for a fz6r? Still a "sport" bike but a lot more friendly to insure I would think. Just a thought :dontknow:

Try a quote for a 250 supermoto like my WR250x.

They're wicked fun

Also call Desjardins

Plastics add horsepower. Ontario is a scam with insurance on all you younger people. It's not right at all. For now I'd skip the ss and look at either something naked, super motor etc. You can still have lots of fun on other bikes. What about looking for a fz6r? Still a "sport" bike but a lot more friendly to insure I would think. Just a thought :dontknow:

You'd think.....

I got quoted the same price for a fz6r as I did for a 600.

You consider the SV650? Yes I'm biased I own that bike. I went through a broker through, still paying like $2400, and im 23 with one minor ticket on record.

You'd think.....

I got quoted the same price for a fz6r as I did for a 600.

You consider the SV650? Yes I'm biased I own that bike. I went through a broker through, still paying like $2400, and im 23 with one minor ticket on record.

You're paying a very fair price. I got quoted $18XX with a clean record, 21 on the same bike

Yeah I guess, but it's just so discouraging and the immediate age stereotype and how anything with the word "sport" the price sky rockets...

its not a stereotype its a statistical reality. Young people in powerful vehicles are a larger risk to themselves and others. The parts of the brain that calculate Risk v Reward aren't fully developed until your 23-25 thats just a fact. Dont listen to brokers on reason why its expensive.. they don't know the Ninja is a popular bike so its risk profile is just higher

Don't be discouraged by what i'm saying tho if you want ride find a bike that you can afford to insure. older 250, scooter, small Crusier what ever hone you skills and learn your lessons on it. By the time you get to 25 with the experience and a full M under your belt you will find your insurance is much cheeper or do what i and allot of other did. Give up on the idea of owning a bike at 18 save your money and wait till you 25 to ride. At your age you should probably be thinking about starting to put away for down payments and starting to put something away for retirement. By putting the plans for the bike off until its more affordable and your life is more stable you would be a better financially in the future.

I've been driving for a long time and when I insured my second bike, my first sport bike in the early 90's, I was 21. It was costing me $1300 for a Fzr 400 per year way back then. I'm just surprised that everyone is still so surprised at the cost to insure an S'S bike when it's always been that way for a long time and it's probably never going to change. Also someone said it's age discrimination but my understanding are prices are set based on rate of incident and S'S bikes plus young rider equals a higher rate of incident. Insurance companies don't just say "well you're young so we'll charge you as much as possible" but rather charge based on statistics and history.
I'm sure most young guys aren't buying bikes just so they can get on 2 wheels (or theyd buy 125s or scooters) but rather buy them based on performance (how fast can it go) and how good they look. And with that that goes the saying "you gotta pay to play. I'm sure the majority of motorcyclists have all been down this road and paid their dues in terms of insurance costs. If it's what you really want, you know it's gonna cost, so suck it up and pay it or stop looking at Super Sport bikes and buy a different style. I'm not saying it's right that the costs are so high but it's life and how it is when it comes to insurance.

I'm 23 and own bikes + cars. Insurance is stupid. I pay more then most people's mortgage for toys, well worth it. Finish uni, get a good job. Cost will no longer matter! :)

+1 for a wr250x or a drz sm at your age. (I'm 24, GM2, 3 seasons exp, MSF course with desjardin paying around $800/year, for liability + fire/theft) I guess it depends on the person and the reason for wanting a motorcycle, but I am having a ton of fun with the drz on the road. If you're using it for a toy, or shorter distance commuting you can't go wrong. I think i'll have a supermoto in the garage for the rest of my life, they're just too damn fun.

I was looking for a SS for my second bike...got high insurance quotes... said forget that and fell in love with my 650 ninja. These young kids are too easily influenced....OP like the others have said look for something other than a SS you'll be surprised with what you find. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

+1 for a wr250x or a drz sm at your age. (I'm 24, GM2, 3 seasons exp, MSF course with desjardin paying around $800/year, for liability + fire/theft) I guess it depends on the person and the reason for wanting a motorcycle, but I am having a ton of fun with the drz on the road. If you're using it for a toy, or shorter distance commuting you can't go wrong. I think i'll have a supermoto in the garage for the rest of my life, they're just too damn fun.

+1
I was planning to ride my drz for a season and sell it (I had it up for sale, I bailed after the buyer began bargaining), I just couldn't sell it. This bike is great fun and cheap on insurance. I am expecting to keep this bike for a long time.

Soon i'll be getting a top case and better seating for longer distance touring.

Back
Top Bottom