Yamaha 2nd gear problem | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha 2nd gear problem

kcalB

Hey every one. I've been doing a little bit of research, and find so much conflicting information, regarding the infamous Yamaha second gear slip issue. Just wondering if any one has had this happen to them. Did Yamaha ever fix the issue? Are all 600's affected by this curse. Was it only for a certain period? Should i be worried about buying a 2004 Thundercat? (ever one that has had one says they love them), and any tips/ tricks to check for this slippage? (I guess revving up from first, and attempting to shift to second. I'm trying not to get screwed, picking up a bike that then needs to sit in a shop for 3 weeks, and cost an extra grand.

I hope this is not to technical for the general discussion thread :s

I believe post 2002 r6's are fine. I have a 2003 r6 and my transmission has been fine.

Yeah, i see a lot of people saying there was a change to the gear dogs in o3 and up, since its a 04, i think i might end up getting it. I jsut gotta test the crap out of first, shifting to second i guess...Hopefully Seller lets me take it on a short test run

Are you talking YZF-R6, or are you talking YZF600 Thundercat? Two completely different bikes, and two entirely different transmissions!

Thundercat = FZR, and I've been in a few of those. I've never broken 2nd, but I've seen three broken 4th gears, and the 4th-gear engagement dogs are on the same gear cluster as 2nd inside the transmission. The engagement dogs for 4th are a bad design, the flange that the engagement dogs attach to should have been thicker. The 400, 600, and Thundercat all have different internal ratios, so it is possible that they fixed this at some point.

Are you talking YZF-R6, or are you talking YZF600 Thundercat? Two completely different bikes, and two entirely different transmissions!

Thundercat = FZR, and I've been in a few of those. I've never broken 2nd, but I've seen three broken 4th gears, and the 4th-gear engagement dogs are on the same gear cluster as 2nd inside the transmission. The engagement dogs for 4th are a bad design, the flange that the engagement dogs attach to should have been thicker. The 400, 600, and Thundercat all have different internal ratios, so it is possible that they fixed this at some point.

i'm talking about the thundercat. From what i've been reading, all YZF type bikes from early 90's to 2002 are prone to this issue. Like i said a lot of conflicting information, not sure what to believe. Trying to figure out if this issue is worth not getting the thundercat tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom