at fault - no pay counts against you? | GTAMotorcycle.com

at fault - no pay counts against you?

LiNK666

My dad had an at fault accident in 2010, but there was no pay out because the damage was so insignificant less than $100.

Called TD for a quote but they said it will count against him because it's at fault.

Welcome to the wonderful world of insurance.
If he was found at fault for the accident regardless of if he claimed or not then he has an at fault on his record.
My question is if the damage was $100, why did he tell his insurance company?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

At fault accident is an at fault accident. Even if your dad had caused $10,000 damage and decided to pay for the repairs himself it is still an at fault accident, (which in the eyes of an isurer means he is an increased risk). Increased risk = higher premiums.

Happened to my sister. She bumped someone at a redlight and the person called insurance. There was NO damaged but the shop charged $50 for an estimate to her insurance. She got a at fault record now.

We called an insurance said it didn't matter if it was $1 or $1million. A claim is a claim.

At all costs, avoid insurance company involvement. At this point, Ontario's insurance has gotten so ridiculous that you're really just paying x dollars to get the sticker to get your vehicle on the road. You can't actually use your benefits because it will cost you so much more the next year.

An at-fault can cost you easily a couple thousand over a couple years, plus your deductible. So you're effective deductible is maybe $3000; if damage is less than something like that, pay out of pocket.

My understanding is that it can only count against you if there is an "at-fault claim" against you. If there is no claim, there is nothing they can do.

Some of you guys are hilarious. Go down, shatter your leg, lose your career and see if it's "worth it". Ontario has one of the richest accident benefits coverage in North America. If you get hurt, or worse hurt someone else, you'll be thanking the fact that you have a proper policy with adequate coverage.
As for OP, unless the other person claimed you should definitely not call and report. But if the other party reported than you're boned. Too bad. You rear end a car, you're at fault. End of story

The first at-fault is covered and doesn't effect your insurance rate but it does go on your record which is visible to your company and other companies when you are looking to add other vehicles to your insurance. Also, if you're trying to get motorcycle insurance through him or based on his insurance while being listed as the co-signer and he is not driving it, nor do you live under the same roof, that is insurance fraud. Also, at-fault aren't removed from your record after 3 years, unlike speeding tickets/demerit offenses

Last edited:
Some of you guys are hilarious. Go down, shatter your leg, lose your career and see if it's "worth it". Ontario has one of the richest accident benefits coverage in North America. If you get hurt, or worse hurt someone else, you'll be thanking the fact that you have a proper policy with adequate coverage.
As for OP, unless the other person claimed you should definitely not call and report. But if the other party reported than you're boned. Too bad. You rear end a car, you're at fault. End of story

It's better than other places, sure, but it's still not going to maintain your standard of living, no matter what your income level is. Insurance will screw you whether you have awesome benefits or not. I'd rather save money and be screwed than pay out the *** and still be screwed.

The first at-fault is covered and doesn't effect your insurance rate but it does go on your record which is visible to your company and other companies when you are looking to add other vehicles to your insurance. Also, if you're trying to get motorcycle insurance through him or based on his insurance while being listed as the co-signer and he is not driving it, nor do you live under the same roof, that is insurance fraud. Also, at-fault aren't removed from your record after 3 years, unlike speeding tickets/demerit offenses

Not sure where you got the notion that the "first at fault is covered".. That is only if you pay more for "accident forgiveness" option on your policy. For my bike with TD it is about $50 per year for this option. If you don't buy it your accident still "counts" But your correct in your second statement that it is "recorded" and can be used by other companies if your switching companies. Depending upon the company accidents remain on your record for 6 - 10 years, (Belair and some of the "over 50" companies go back a full 10 years when quoting.

Not sure where you got the notion that the "first at fault is covered".. That is only if you pay more for "accident forgiveness" option on your policy. For my bike with TD it is about $50 per year for this option. If you don't buy it your accident still "counts" But your correct in your second statement that it is "recorded" and can be used by other companies if your switching companies. Depending upon the company accidents remain on your record for 6 - 10 years, (Belair and some of the "over 50" companies go back a full 10 years when quoting.

This is correct. Also, be certain that you understand the accident forgiveness policy of your insurer (if it is offered) since the details can vary from company to company. Some insurers offer Accident Forgiveness for free for clients who have been claims free for X years, others charge a premium, some give it for free to multi-product clients, etc.

A third-party company, CGI, tracks your claims history and claims do not fall off your record; however, most companies only consider claims that have occurred in the last 6-10 years (and the impact on your rate diminishes with time). In contrast, convictions fall off your record after 3 years. If you are interested, you can order one free copy of your CGI AutoPlus report (i.e. showing your claims history) each year at the following link:

https://cgi-iis.com/RAPIDWEB/en/support/consumer-reports.aspx

Yeah, I'd forgotten it was back before I was with TD. My family had Coseco (under home, travel, and 5 vehicles) before becoming part of co-operators and never had to pay a premium for accident forgiveness unless it was always included because my sister and I both got into our only at-fault accident and never had to pay a premium for the service or price hike after the claim.

Back
Top Bottom