Question before i buy bike tomorrow | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question before i buy bike tomorrow

kcalB

I'm going to go look at a 2004 YZF thundercat tomorrow. I was just talking to the seller on the phone, and was advised that the "hazard" lights don't work (both signals flashing). I am wondering if this will cause the bike to fail the safety inspection, and if so, is it a hard/expensive fix? Apparently all the other lights and indicators work fine (i will check them before i buy) and I guess there might be a lot of variables that could be causing the issue. Has any had similar problems. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I would hate to have to stare at my bike for a few weeks, before I can ride with out the temp plates.

Most bikes don't even have hazard lights so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But they could say that it was equipped from the factory and is not functioning and might give you a hard time.

Thanks. My only worry is under the highway traffic act it says

(e) the turn signal lamps and the flasher unit shall operate properly;

Not sure if the flasher unit is the indicator lights, or the hazards.... Having hazards on a bike seems a little redundant... like is aid, not really sure what the mentioned flasher unit is

The flasher is the indicators.

No way it would fail over the hazards not working... as stated most bikes don't have hazards

From my understanding, if the bike is equipped from the factory with hazard lights, they would need to be working to pass a safety, same with the m2 exit test, if the bike has them they have to work. Depending on where you take it for the safety and if the hazard button is easy to miss they may not even notice it

If any one else runs into this problem, i don't believe it's an issue. There is only one mention of the four way flashers in the ontario highway traffic act.

62(14). Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light.

Technically yes but realistically no. Dont let it sway you if you buy and have issues call me.

From my understanding, if the bike is equipped from the factory with hazard lights, they would need to be working to pass a safety, same with the m2 exit test, if the bike has them they have to work. Depending on where you take it for the safety and if the hazard button is easy to miss they may not even notice it

Yeah i saw that in the act.... well i plan on going to crappy tire to get the SSC, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Thanks every one!

Technically yes but realistically no. Dont let it sway you if you buy and have issues call me.

Can you do safeties kneedragger? I Better watch out, safeties can be a touchy subject on this form. lol ( i don't remember if your a certified mechanic. no offense)

Lol thanks for all the technical help with my RZ 4 years ago :p

Oh also, this notorious 2nd gear problem. This bike has about 30k km on it. Whats the best way to test for this 2nd gear slip issue? Running it up to red in 2nd?

If it has gear problems don't buy it
You do worry more about easy fix them a more serious problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these with the dreaded 2nd gear failure. Without a test ride, you won't know.
HArd acceleration up thru the gears is the only way to test for this. Mine came from an insurance auction, and had cosmetic damage. Mine was headed for the track, so the damage didn't matter to me. It was clean, and ran well.
I spent alot of $ getting it prepped, only to find out the very first time I rode it (practise session at SOAR where I had already paid to race all weekend) that it had no 2nd gear.
I rode it the way it was that day, changed gearing -1, +6, and raced it with no 2nd gear the rest of that season.

Carboncat has done the repair before, and I hope that I can too someday and revive my YZF. I really loved the bike.

I'm going to go look at a 2004 YZF thundercat tomorrow. I was just talking to the seller on the phone, and was advised that the "hazard" lights don't work (both signals flashing). I am wondering if this will cause the bike to fail the safety inspection, and if so, is it a hard/expensive fix? Apparently all the other lights and indicators work fine (i will check them before i buy) and I guess there might be a lot of variables that could be causing the issue. Has any had similar problems. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I would hate to have to stare at my bike for a few weeks, before I can ride with out the temp plates.

Break off the hazard button, it never existed!

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Thanks every one.

I ended up buying it. It had no plates, but i managed to find a secluded area near by, and ripped it through 1-3. No problems, smooth shifting. Carbs need a cleaning, and it looks it was dropped at a stand still, but other wise very nice condition. Getting templates on tuesday. Its been a while, can't wait to hit the road again!

oh and yes he hazards don't exist, so thats not a worry. The seller was a little confused lol

Back
Top Bottom