will my policy be cancelled? | GTAMotorcycle.com

will my policy be cancelled?

rinCode

I JUST got my insurance policy and just picked up my first bike a week ago. today I met up with a couple guys from gtam to go for a morning ride. going 66 on a 60kmh road, but it turned into a 40kmh construction zone and so we got tickets for going 26 over. my question is: when I applied for insurance, they said as long as I have 2 or less minor tickets, theyd be able to insure me. now that I just tacked on a 3rd ticket, am I at risk of having my policy cancelled? im a complete noob to the bike scene and everything associated with it, so any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

나의 SM-N900W8 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Last edited:
they have to manually check everyones record?? that stuffs not automated or smthng?? I just assumed when we get tickets, our insurance companies just automatically notified. if thats true, then good thing I didnt call my broker yet :)

they have to manually check everyones record?? that stuffs not automated or smthng?? I just assumed when we get tickets, our insurance companies just automatically notified. if thats true, then good thing I didnt call my broker yet :)

Insurance companies have to manually pull an MVR from the MTO to get your ticket info. Lightcycle is right that they may not check at your next renewal so keep your head down and don't say anything to them. Tickets (and claims) only go on and only come off of your file at your renewal so you have nothing to worry about until then. When do your other tickets come off (ie 3 years from the date of conviction)?

they have to manually check everyones record?? that stuffs not automated or smthng??

No, too costly. They'll do it once before you sign a new policy with them, but once you're in they'll rarely re-check and they'll only ever be notified if a claim is initiated (ie. you get into an accident and give your insurance details to the other party).

It also goes by conviction date, So if one of your tickets is coming off in maybe the next 6 months or so, you could try to get it tied up in court until your other one disappears lol.

You have received a ticket, you have not yet been convicted.

Submit a request for trial. If you live in Toronto you will likely not get a trial date for at least 6 months.
Read up on fighting a ticket, see http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-you-want-to-fight-your-ticket-in-court-(new)
Note that there are ways to 'beat' a ticket without pleading not guilty. Review your options.

If you are new to the court system or do not have the time to prepare yourself, you may want to seek legal counsel since this would be your third conviction. If convicted, your insurance rates will be adversely affected.

Insurance companies have to manually pull an MVR from the MTO to get your ticket info. Lightcycle is right that they may not check at your next renewal so keep your head down and don't say anything to them. Tickets (and claims) only go on and only come off of your file at your renewal so you have nothing to worry about until then. When do your other tickets come off (ie 3 years from the date of conviction)?

one of them rolls off in march I think and another in july. ive gone almost 2 years without a ticket.

It also goes by conviction date, So if one of your tickets is coming off in maybe the next 6 months or so, you could try to get it tied up in court until your other one disappears lol.

definitely was hoping for that too lol.

The insurance companies don't check everyone's driving record every year. Your best bet is to just keep quiet and let your tickets roll off your 3 and 6-year records.

OP, keep in mind that if involved in a claim situation, you may be denied since you failed to inform your insurance company of your convictions.

OP, keep in mind that if involved in a claim situation, you may be denied since you failed to inform your insurance company of your convictions.

Good point...the insurance companies GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD ;)

Extremely unlikely you will get denied over not telling them about a speeding ticket though I believe.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

That won't happen. No one calls their insurer to tell them that the received a ticket. I've NEVER denied a claim because of a bunch of unreported minor convictions.
Pushing the conviction date back 6 months won't help you in this case. The ONLY date that the number of tickets matters is your renewal date. You said that you just got this policy right? Well if that is the case you CANNOT be cancelled mid-term for convictions. Only at your renewal. So, if you have less than 3 minor convictions effective your renewal date it won't matter.

I don't think so. Nowhere have I ever read that a policy holder is obligated to inform his insurance company of any convictions... unless they ask outright. Because then it's fraud if you lie.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Here's an article in the Globe and Mail informing their readers not to call their insurance companies (or to do so anonymously):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...e-company-if-you-get-a-ticket/article7428820/

Non-disclosure or misrepresentation MAY lead to increased rates, policy cancellation or claim denial.

Non-disclosure or misrepresentation MAY lead to increased rates, policy cancellation or claim denial.
No calling your insurance company over a minor will not constitute misrep or non disclosure.
Don't call your insurer and tell them you got a ticket. Just don't.

Don't misunderstand, I did not recommend calling the insurance about receiving a ticket.
I am only advising that if the OP is convicted, they might want to know that there could be issues with insurance if they don't disclose that information.

That has more to do with material changes in risk. Moving houses, selling cars, using a vehicle for business purposes etc.
As the person who writes the cheques for an insurance company, it simply doesn't happen.
When I was a broker, if someone did call me to tell me this I'd look through their policy, If they were a good client I just pretended like I never got the call and slowly backed out of the policy lol.

Back
Top Bottom