PLC's | GTAMotorcycle.com

PLC's

noor

just wondering if someone has taken courses or completed a program in PLC's

almost every college offers some sort of diploma/certificate and very hard to differentiate/choose

looking to get some feedback before I decide

just wondering if someone has taken courses or completed a program in PLC's

almost every college offers some sort of diploma/certificate and very hard to differentiate/choose

looking to get some feedback before I decide

Completed a 3 year program at humber as a EE technologist.

If you plan to go the 2/3 year course. Be prepared to learn extremely outdated languages. This includes slc5 ,slc500 and 5000. As well as hmi and omron. However, although these are old languages, they give a good foundation on what to do/expect in the work field. This includes wiring and programming diff platforms.

Try going with one that has co-op's. All graduates get a diploma, but some also get experience. Your experience is what will make you more desirable than other candidates; and it may be even more valuable than your actual education.

As a Georgian graduate I had 12 months experience after completing a full 3 year (36 months) program. Three separate four-month co-op placements at three different companies. Paid, the connections, the experience. It really did set me up to be successful. But it's also about your efforts.

Good luck!

^ This. I don't do PLC programming myself but I deal with programmers all the time. The co-ops should help with learning current applications.

As for the old stuff ... I've had a couple of customers run into situations where they couldn't change existing PLC logic because no one has the programming software any more!

thanks for all your replies - i actually dont plan on doing it full time but rather as a continuing ed program while continue working

i have narrowed it down to 3 programs - but cant seem to choose the best one

the first one is at George Brown - all online based learning using a Allen-Bradley RSLogix 500 simulator (they even have one for the more complex tag version as well) - call centre support is available and very flexible
http://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_pro...de=PA0048&stream_code=PS0626&cert_code=CE0186

the second is at Humber - all in class and covers a wide range of controllers (Allen-Bradley Compact Logix and SLC series, Omron CJ1)

http://calendardb.humber.ca/LIS/WebCalendar/CE/ProgramOffering.do?name=04671

the last choice is at centennial - similar controllers, plus some exposure to robotics

http://db2.centennialcollege.ca/ce/certdetail.php?CertificateCode=7347

I did EE(PLCs) at Sir Sandford in the early 90s. The stuff I was taught on was vastly different that the industry I ended up in (1950/60s technology). Big generation gap

The education got me in the door, but have never used it again.

A-B RSLogix is widely used nowadays. If that's what is in the curriculum, they are reasonably current.

+1 for Humber

Did some PLC stuff as part of my C.Eng program at Humber(2006). Teachers were great and the labs are nice.

Worked on old Siemens PLCs using Simatic Step-7.

As previously mentioned. If you can find a program with co-op it is worth it's weight in gold.

Yea and humber offers co-op back when i took it. Im sure they still do?
If you plan to take it at humber, Kazazi is hands down the best at teaching the course.

Back
Top Bottom