I am unclear on the M1 60 days minimum requirement | GTAMotorcycle.com

I am unclear on the M1 60 days minimum requirement

Frankee

Hi,

I hope to be a new rider soon, and I am also a new poster in this forum.

I'm not clear on the 60 day minimum M1 requirement as described in the MTO handbook.

If I write the the M1 test now, can I take an M2 course in the next few weeks (before the 60 days), because the book says that you have to wait the minimum 60 days before attempting the road test? Or, is it that I will need to wait till the end of the 60 days from when I wrote the test to when I take the paperwork from the course to the MTO to get the M2 license?

Thanks for your help,

Frank

If you finish and pass the course before 60 days, you must wait until the 61st day since you got m1 to upgrade to m2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get a sealed envelope from the course which you take to MTO on the 61st day.
Double check when you get to the MTO tho because if they break the seal on the envelope before the 61st day the form becomes void.
They'll stress that in the class as well.
The only reason I mention it is that I went in one day early by mistake and fortunately asked before handing the envelope over.

We need to sticky this information in the New Riders forum

On a similar topic: can you take the M2 exit course before your 18 months are up, and take the paperwork in at 18 months + a day? The one place I looked seemed to say that you had to actually be eligible at the time of taking the course.

I would be interested in hearing about the M2 exit course as well. My 18 months are up in October but testing/courses do not start until end of march.

Personally don't find the need to take course for M2 exit(getting full M).

The grading sheet from MTO is posted on this forum, knows what will get your points deducted. It's the easiest road test of all. It's really hard to not pass! No need to waste money on the riding course, just because other people do it, doesn't mean you have to. However i do recommend M1 exit course (getting M2).

"Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running!"....

I just wanted to say I had a great laugh when I read that.....thanks!
:p

The grading sheet from MTO is posted on this forum, knows what will get your points deducted. It's the easiest road test of all. It's really hard to not pass! No need to waste money on the riding course, just because other people do it, doesn't mean you have to. However i do recommend M1 exit course (getting M2).

You're probably right, most will probably pass without the course, but more education can't hurt if you can afford it.

One often overlooked advantage of the full M class licence is that on conviction of certain offences under the HTA, a novice licence will be suspended for 30 days. Not so with the full M. For reference, look to the charges for Novice B.A.C. above zero in the HTA.

One often overlooked advantage of the full M class licence is that on conviction of certain offences under the HTA, a novice licence will be suspended for 30 days. Not so with the full M. For reference, look to the charges for Novice B.A.C. above zero in the HTA.

Frankly, we can't afford insurance after such convictions anyway. The situation is so bad that insurance companies have gained de facto control over suspension of driving privileges.

With an M1, you can take the training course that includes an M1 Exit test at any time that the M1 is valid, and you can process the upgrade after the 60 day minimum. If you just do the test, you have to wait the 60 day minimum.
M2 Exit is different - you cannot take the test until your eligible. You can sign up and take a course, because we can't tell how long you've had your M2 and therefore we can't verify you're eligible. We could even be fooled into testing you and giving you completed paperwork. But when you take that to a DriveTest Center to upgrade, they'll tell you that you aren't eligible and hand it back (or rip it up).

Frankly, we can't afford insurance after such convictions anyway. The situation is so bad that insurance companies have gained de facto control over suspension of driving privileges.

Haha yup. The only people who care about demerit points on their license are people who don't know that the points aren't the thing that raise insurance premiums - its the ticket itself. You would rarely see someone that is knowledgeable about this care about points and thats probably because they have a stack of tickets threatening suspension - and once again, its the insurance after having a suspended license that screws them.

Ex. Go to the Laws section and read through the posts of people getting tickets, many of them are worried about fighting it in court to get rid of the points so their insurance premium doesn't increase.

Nope, people are told time and time again that its the ticket itself. Other than the Criminal offenses and HTA172 of course...

Haha yup. The only people who care about demerit points on their license are people who don't know that the points aren't the thing that raise insurance premiums - its the ticket itself. You would rarely see someone that is knowledgeable about this care about points and thats probably because they have a stack of tickets threatening suspension - and once again, its the insurance after having a suspended license that screws them.

Ex. Go to the Laws section and read through the posts of people getting tickets, many of them are worried about fighting it in court to get rid of the points so their insurance premium doesn't increase.

Nope, people are told time and time again that its the ticket itself. Other than the Criminal offenses and HTA172 of course...

I replay my 10-over ticket in my head often. I got it in my car, doing 21 over. I almost wish I had got it on my bike going 44 over, because damn, the consequences are the same anyway.

I replay my 10-over ticket in my head often. I got it in my car, doing 21 over. I almost wish I had got it on my bike going 44 over, because damn, the consequences are the same anyway.

Except if you get in an accident in the car, you will probably live. If you get in an accident on your bike, your dead.

Shane

M1

Minimum of 60 days Maximum of 90 days. So after 90 days, your m1 is expired.

M2

Must be at this level for minimum of 18 months with MSF accredited course (22 months without) before M. Valid for 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom