Alarms | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alarms

Roomie

Banned
I'm currently down to choosing between the Scorpio i900 and the gorilla 9100. Anyone with actual experience with either of these? I'm mainly looking to see if the Scorpio is worth the extra money for what seems like only rfid. Both are two way and both come with harnesses to plug into the bike. Any. Help would be great :thumbup:

Based on your avatar, you're gorilla all the way!

Sorry, I know it's not the quality of advise you were looking for. But I'm a noob and never have anything to contribute, so feel left out all the time!

*ruffles Roomies hair playfully*

The scopio is nice because it can scour away people near the bike. However, it can also draw battery power which will lead to a low battery voltage (once the backup battery is depleted). In addition, you will have to think about where you park ie. parking in a motorcycle friendly area and how it will trigger the warning alarm. This feature is good if you park your bike outside at all times giving it that dont you dare type of feel when you hear the alarm. Moreover, the back up battery is a great add if the theft think that cutting your battery cable will stop the alarm from going off. Lastly, the ignition disabler is good if the bike every gets stolen or hot wired..

The RFID makes things convenient if that matters to you. That means:

1. When you turn your bike off to gas up you don't have to turn your alarm off and then on
2. When you park your bike, and when you get on your bike you don't worry about the alarm either

Make sure your wires are snug, tight, if there's something not quite right it could drain your battery.

The prox alarm is pretty nice, it will chirp, and chirp faster and faster if someone doesn't move when it starts to prime. It definitely keeps away people who like to sit on bikes or pose with them without the full-on alarm blaring. It's kind of cool with the RFID too..a girl was walking by and touching up my bike and my gf said "hey that's not your bike". The girl goes "oh yeah? How do you know it's not mine?" It starts chirping and she backs off, and then my gf is like "because it's mine", sits on it and the alarm doesn't go off because she had the RFID on her. Baby knows who her owners are.

Another thing with the Scorpio, if you even care, is that it interfaces with the lights so it tells you which alarms were tripped while you were gone (prox vs tilt).

Also take some time to setup the prox sensitivity. You can turn that on/off separately too for a windy day, etc.

My buddy has the Gorilla alarm, and its simple and loud. He's never complained about anything and I believe it's also quite a bit cheaper so it'll probably come down to that, how much are you willing to spend for a prox alarm?

Btw if you're not riding for a few weeks don't just turn the alarm off, I would suggest disconnecting the harness. Also carry fuses. If the scorpio alarm fuse burns out, that will mess with your signals and alarm. On my bike (k7 gsxr600) when that happens, when you signal all the lights will flash and the alarm will chirp. You can just use hand signals but just saying, something to be wary of.

Keep in mind the 2 way systems have a limited range. I went with the Gorilla, 8005 I think the number is... exact same system only it doesn't have the 2 way key fob and costs much less.

Keep in mind the 2 way systems have a limited range. I went with the Gorilla, 8005 I think the number is... exact same system only it doesn't have the 2 way key fob and costs much less.

i think both are 2 way pagers and have an range of up to 1/2 mile

I guarantee mine isn't a 2 way pager. It has a lock, an unlock, and an F button on it. It is literally the same unit as the 2 way pager model... all you have to do is buy the other fob and sync it to your alarm system.

The number is actually 8007.

http://www.amazon.ca/Gorilla-Automotive-8007-Motorcycle-Transmitter/dp/B0042VVJGW

Ah i read your post incorrectly. I thought you meant to say the 2 roomie stated werent both 2 way. If what you say is true and that a 2 way could be synched, that would be a good alternative to save $$$

I'm currently down to choosing between the Scorpio i900 and the gorilla 9100. Anyone with actual experience with either of these? I'm mainly looking to see if the Scorpio is worth the extra money for what seems like only rfid. Both are two way and both come with harnesses to plug into the bike. Any. Help would be great :thumbup:
I have a gorilla and it is a piece of crap, the tilt sensor never really worked and the sensitivity is all screwed.

Scorpio all the way.

I have a gorilla and it is a piece of crap, the tilt sensor never really worked and the sensitivity is all screwed.

Scorpio all the way.

True.. the tilt sensor is a pain in the *** to set up. I can only get it to work in my hands.... but, on the other hand you can't even come close to getting the bike tipped up without setting the shock alarm off.. but yes, they do seem to suck ***.

+1 one the Scorpio. I've got the i900, As mentioned by others works like a charm. Keeps unwanted people from touching the bike..and you never have to worry about turning on/off the alarm since u got the RFID. Also the sensors might need to be adjusted because if it rains heavy it can trigger it.

I've had a Scorpio SR-i900R in each of my own bikes as well as my girlfriend's. Here's an excerpt from another thread with my thoughts on the devices:

I've always thought of the bike alarms as more of an idiot deterrent than a theft deterrent/prevention measure; if a skilled & confident thief wants the bike, they'll get it, that's what theft insurance is for. But at least it stops kids etc from sitting on/playing with the bike etc, which I used to catch people doing all the time prior to getting the alarm.

All that said, I've come across an issue with my current unit; for whatever reason, the Tilt sensor likes to randomly go off and it freaked me out the first few times it happened. I was sure someone was messing with my bike at night, but I've since witnessed the alarm trip for no apparent reason on numerous occasions. Possibly a defective unit, as I've also had the Proximity sensor chirp for no apparent reason at times too.

Bottom line, having anything is better than nothing, if only for the added peace of mind -- just make sure it's not your only theft protection, ALWAYS have theft coverage on your insurance plan...

That all said, I've had a pretty solid experience with the Scorpio and would continue using their brand on any future motorcycles I may own. I actually accidentally cracked the screen on my remote, and when I contacted them to inquire how/where to purchase a replacement remote, they sent me a brand new replacement housing for it free of charge. Considering the remotes are worth something in the $100 range, I thought that was a damn nice gesture from the company.

I had a Scorpio i900 and it was crap.

The range between how far the alarm can ping your remote (in case someone knocks it over or whatever) is extremely limited (maybe 100 meters). At the end of my first year with it, I took it out because it was starting to go haywire (it was being triggered randomly).

If I could do it again, I would have just gotten a full blown GPS alarm that pages your phone directly. I didn't want the alarm to prevent theft (skilled thieves will break through your alarm as stated above), I wanted an alarm to run out with a baseball bat if some ******* knocks over my bike or sits on it.

油井緋色;2154414 said:
The range between how far the alarm can ping your remote (in case someone knocks it over or whatever) is extremely limited (maybe 100 meters).

I will say the remote's range can be a bit finicky, yes. That said, I've tested it by having a friend mess with the bike while I was inside a major mall, and at a considerable distance the remote actually responded. Same goes for in my apartment building. I live 14 floors up, and generally the remote will alert me if the alarm is triggered -- though there have been times where it hasn't and I'd only find out by the turn signal flashing codes.

They do make a model which will page your cellphone/alert you via an app, I think it's the 1100 or something like that, but I've heard that because of the cellular aspect there can be a considerable delay between it triggering, and you getting the alert. I suppose this might be the case for any such device though given the nature of the connection.

As I said, I don't entirely rely on the alarm for security, mostly to keep the twits away -- besides, my bike isn't exactly a high theft target, lol. That said, it's still alerted me to a few sketchy people being a bit too curious.

Thanks for all the input. Just bought the i900. I'll report how I like it after install this weekend.

so umm ah can someone recommend someone in Durham area that sells/installs so I can get theft from TD?

Scorpio. Go directly to their website. It's cheaper to order it online right from them than what parts Canada bends you over for. Their retail on the Web is less than shops cost here.

Order the bike specific harness with the alarm and install is a piece of cake. I installed mine in no time and have had no issues on now my second bike with it

Back
Top Bottom