Cold pavement | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cold pavement

DanteGuelph

I'm hoping to ride to work tomorrow. By home time it will be nice, but I anticipate it being close to 0c in the morning. Anything I should be aware of or worry about with colder temperatures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take your time turning and stopping, avoid wet areas and dress warm. Tend to not think straight if you are frozen.

nice and easy on and off the throttle and doing turns. Other than that if it is a short ride dress warm if it is longer ride dress REALLY warm..lol

keep an eye open for wet spots that could be frozen,in the curves slow in fast out,wear a dickie around your neck,warm gloves is a must.

Be wary of puddles & metal grates/tracks.

Expect sand/salt/grit in the corners.

Don't expect your tires to grip well.

At 0c your hands WILL freeze even with leather+fleece+thermal glove liners, so stay off the expressways for long periods.

Most importantly, if you are second-guessing your decisions, or confused about your route, or unusually warm, or euphoric (more than usual), YOU'RE HYPOTHERMIC! Please get off the road and warm up!

Most importantly, if you are second-guessing your decisions, or confused about your route, or unusually warm, or euphoric (more than usual), YOU'RE HYPOTHERMIC! Please get off the road and warm up!

If you reach this level, you probably would have been so cold at some point that you would have stopped. I rode around town today (Wednesday), and I'll admit it was cold, but it was a nice ride. Just had my neck and face covered, thin long johns under my jeans, and decent gloves.

No regrets.

Hard braking... Or a burnout. Lol.

But the main thing is to be smooth and conscious that you do not have full grip on your tires when is this cold. Slow turns with minimal lean and keep enough distance so you can break on cold tires.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Thanks Victor I am new and this is my first full season. I started last summer and want to ride this weekend but not sure if its warm enough yet.

I say its always warm enough to ride! Aslong as the roads are not ice covered and snow covered, ride on! I bought sheep skin gloves (i think its sheep skin) for winter rides(i have the winter ones that are more like gauntlets, and a summer pair), and wore long johns (upper and lower) my leather jacket, and a windbreaker over the leather jacket. You would be surprised at how much the wind breaker helps. The leather jacket kept me warm, but the wind would tear right through it. When i tried the wind breaker (a decent 60-80 dollar one) i would arrive at work sweaty. I would also avoid the highways when possible. Obviously now is not really the time to test your riding skills, nice and easy as every one else has said.

Thanks Victor I am new and this is my first full season. I started last summer and want to ride this weekend but not sure if its warm enough yet.

There's no such thing as warm enough... this will really be up to you. Just make sure you ride accordingly to the temperature, wash your bike after the ride if there's still salt on the ground (usually after a couple of rains is ok), and watch for gravel on the turns.

I rode tonight after work. A bit chilly on the hands but the rest was great! Took it easy and really watched the road conditions....

I rode tonight after work. A bit chilly on the hands but the rest was great! Took it easy and really watched the road conditions....

Good for you, having the right gear also helps riding in cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom