2 batteries | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 batteries

I would still be interested to know which bike it is you have which takes more the 10mins to pull battery out .... Just so I never buy it .... LOL

The other solution is to get someone with a car, buy one of those invertors, plug the tender into it and let it charge, it should take quite short time to top off, if your battery is in good order.

Those guys on the ADV forum do all sorts of crazy/interesting things with their rides. They probably want enough juice to be able to run a compressor if they get a flat etc. And, they probably do not want to get stranded if their battery fails; back ups to the back ups and all that.

I learned my lesson this past winter. From now on I am taking my battery out of my bike. I left it on a tender all winter and it had/has less than half the juice it did when I put the bike away in the late fall. I have since learned that cold is not good for these batteries. That being said, the battery in question was really cheap with all the cells etc. The new battery is a Yuasa and it has more cranking power than I have ever had in the old rig.

I'm one of the guys from ADV that does all sorts of crazy things to my bikes - still no need to install 2 batteries.
Battery is in-doors over the winter and I ride pretty much all the time when the battery is back in on the bike.

Solution to your problem - ride more often!

Sounds like the op has a monster, install a battery tender lead that comes out under the seat then there is no need to remove the battery. I never take the batteries out of any of my bike until it is time for a new battery.

Same...6th season, 75k km and still going strong. Never tendered or taken out over winter.

I'm one of the guys from ADV that does all sorts of crazy things to my bikes - still no need to install 2 batteries.
Battery is in-doors over the winter and I ride pretty much all the time when the battery is back in on the bike.

Solution to your problem - ride more often!

And... Do not leave the battery in the cold. ?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Why not leave the battery in the cold? Cold actually reduces the discharge rate of a lead acid battery and does no harm as long as the battery is charged it is better stored in the cold than somewhere warm.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

When its - 20C outside, I remove my battery from my car. I'm afraid it might be freezed to death

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Why not leave the battery in the cold? Cold actually reduces the discharge rate of a lead acid battery and does no harm as long as the battery is charged it is better stored in the cold than somewhere warm.

Interesting. I was going to pull the battery I recently bought when I put the bike away this fall and store it in my basement on a piece of wood. Then I would put a tender on it every month or so. Would that not be preferable to leaving it in the bike all winter?

Removing on battery lead would eliminate any parasitic draw if you are worried. Then just top it up once a month or just top it up every couple of weeks.

Yuasa Smartshot 900 charger that I have goes into float mode at 13.5v and maintains with micro pulses. It only takes it above 14 for the initial charge which can sometimes be very quick.

I think trickle chargers are more common than float chargers but float is a good feature IMHO.

This was the battery I bought early last season and I only got one season out of it. It was on a tender whenever I was not riding and was on the tender all winter. Not enough juice left this spring to get the bike going.

It has since been replaced with a new YUASA which has a whack of cranking power. It is not a big deal to me to pull the battery so I have no issue with pulling the battery this fall and putting it in the basement on a piece of wood and topping it up every few weeks with the tender.

This is my battery tender which... well... is a battery tender! ;)

Is there another tender/charger that you might recommend for me? From everything I hear the Yuasa stuff is really well made and when I checked their webpage they have several different charger/tenders up to about $400 (obviously more of a shop/mechanic type of item at that point).

Is there a better tender/charger option that you guys might recommend?

I would still be interested to know which bike it is you have which takes more the 10mins to pull battery out .... Just so I never buy it .... LOL<br/>

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I would still be interested to know which bike it is you have which takes more the 10mins to pull battery out .... Just so I never buy it .... LOL<br/>

It's not the 10min the parking neighbors in condo don't like to see me doing work on bike. They don't get changing battery does not spill oil etc.. I cannot fight that...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Is there another tender/charger that you might recommend for me?

I have had good results so far with the same Tender that you have in the pic. Before that, I had a manual one from Canadian Tire, never had an issue either (edit: I have onlu used Yuasa batteries that are sealed).

If the battery in the first pic only lived for one season, my guess is that it wasn't filled in properly to start with.

I have had good results so far with the same Tender that you have in the pic. Before that, I had a manual one from Canadian Tire, never had an issue either (edit: I have onlu used Yuasa batteries that are sealed).

If the battery in the first pic only lived for one season, my guess is that it wasn't filled in properly to start with.

Probably not filled properly, and a cheap battery. I think that battery evaporated some acid too based on some of the powder I see around some of the vents. I remember that sort of battery from my youth in the 1970s. The Yuasa in the bike now seems much better built/designed. and Tyler at Two Wheel filled it for me so I am confident it was set-up properly.

The old adage is true; you get what you pay for. Going to stick with Yuasa batteries from now on.

Back
Top Bottom