2 batteries | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 batteries

Has anyone tried installing 2 batteries in parallel. I know it won't damage the bike voltage would stay same.

But I am not sure what happens to charging the battery does that need any hack etc...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointer it has lot of detail but still did not get what I was looking for...
Guess I might have to give it a try..

Strange I searched the forum (from Google) for parallel battery and nothing was as good as your thread... Perfect I got some pointers and it will me make it work...
One reason I wanted 2nd battery was to avoid winterizing my battery. It's mounted under the tank and I forgot to disconnect it last winter.

Now I am planning to install 2nd parallel battery under seat which I can disconnect easily and and charge inside in winter...
I also had my my drain significantly when I used a gps... I am hoping I will enough juice to run a gps and phone with 2 batteries

If your system is unable to power a gps, then there is definitely something wrong with either your stator or regulator/rectifier. The power draw on a gps is miniscule and if that's putting you over you need to get the electrical checked out, a second battery won't help.

If your system is unable to power a gps, then there is definitely something wrong with either your stator or regulator/rectifier. The power draw on a gps is miniscule and if that's putting you over you need to get the electrical checked out, a second battery won't help.

i agree with Ed any street bike or even scooter should be able to power a GPS and have plenty of juice left for normal operation.
What bike do you have?

Strange I searched the forum (from Google) for parallel battery and nothing was as good as your thread... Perfect I got some pointers and it will me make it work...
One reason I wanted 2nd battery was to avoid winterizing my battery. It's mounted under the tank and I forgot to disconnect it last winter.

Iam not sure what bike are you talking about ... but I have yet to see a bike where you simply cannot either easily to pull battery out and do whatever you feel you have to do over winter. Or simply leave it in and hookup battery tender to it.

I have re-read your post few times to make sure I am not missing something, because it still doesn't make any sense to me .... I thought you would reply that you are doing some crazy adventures and require additional high power lighting setup for evenings .... something of that nature.

Sounds like the op has a monster, install a battery tender lead that comes out under the seat then there is no need to remove the battery. I never take the batteries out of any of my bike until it is time for a new battery.

OP, what's the purpose of having the 2 batteries installed on the bike?

What are you running? A toaster? .... :)

Those guys on the ADV forum do all sorts of crazy/interesting things with their rides. They probably want enough juice to be able to run a compressor if they get a flat etc. And, they probably do not want to get stranded if their battery fails; back ups to the back ups and all that.

I learned my lesson this past winter. From now on I am taking my battery out of my bike. I left it on a tender all winter and it had/has less than half the juice it did when I put the bike away in the late fall. I have since learned that cold is not good for these batteries. That being said, the battery in question was really cheap with all the cells etc. The new battery is a Yuasa and it has more cranking power than I have ever had in the old rig.

OP has confirmed he's not looking for any adventurous crazy needs .... hence the questioning why he really needs two batteries. People normally try to shed weight from already heavy bikes, not to add another 8 or so pounds, unless there's a very good reason.

Your battery was bad and cheap brand as you pointed out, with a good battery there's no need to take it out. Just top off with battery tender ... I have unheated garage where temp was around 1-2C for weeks this winter and I have used the tender twice just to top off. I never have any issues. After 4-5 years the battery will be junk as most batteries will start losing charge. Replace battery and move on, it's really simple.

+1

My last gixxer had the following connected to a stock Walmart battery (EverStart?): 2 Audi style LED in the front for signals + 2 LED blockoff lights (4 in total). Underglow lights, licence plate led lights, a Cig lighter in which I plugged in my Garmin car GPS. Bike was running just fine..didn't have any issues.

So i'd say there's something else involved.

+1

My last gixxer had the following connected to a stock Walmart battery (EverStart?): 2 Audi style LED in the front for signals + 2 LED blockoff lights (4 in total). Underglow lights, licence plate led lights, a Cig lighter in which I plugged in my Garmin car GPS. Bike was running just fine..didn't have any issues.

So i'd say there's something else involved.

Your leds are burning far less power than stock. But I get your point. I have a heated vest connected to my bike. 35 watts, still no problem. Got gps & underglow too

I might have to look at why but just running Gps and phone of battery was enough to drain to level where it would not start..

Though I did leave my Gps connected in parking for few about hr.

I don't have power where I Park so if battery dies due to my mistake or leaving it for all winter I have to remove it from under tank(partially moving the taknk) and I hate that...

I will check my wiring to see if I have issues given what you plug in I don't have much...

Sounds like the op has a monster, install a battery tender lead that comes out under the seat then there is no need to remove the battery. I never take the batteries out of any of my bike until it is time for a new battery.

I just installed a Battery Tender pigtail with fuse.
This will allow me to charge the battery during the winter wihtout taking it off the bike. I have never done this (charge the battery in place), my preference is to take it off, but it is too much work in my current scooter.

This is the Battery Tender pigtail with fuse that I am talking about, also called Battery Tender Quick Connect Cable

gps_mount_kawasaki_vn750_023.jpg

I might have to look at why but just running Gps and phone of battery was enough to drain to level where it would not start..

Though I did leave my Gps connected in parking for few about hr.

I don't have power where I Park so if battery dies due to my mistake or leaving it for all winter I have to remove it from under tank(partially moving the taknk) and I hate that...

I will check my wiring to see if I have issues given what you plug in I don't have much...

you need to setup your GPS so that it uses switched power.... IE when you bike is of your are not pulling power to it. i would suggest ruining it through something like this.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

Can you use an electrical cord? Just charging it once a month (during the winter) with the Tender should be enough to keep it healthy.

Back
Top Bottom