what's this "clean title" business?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

what's this "clean title" business??

LoneRonin

I have been looking at bikes and see this come up a lot in some of the listings. I figure that when you buy a vehicle outright or pay off any loans its got a clean title entirely in your name. Once its paid off does it just automatically switch over to a clean title? WTF is a title?? A piece of paper kinda like the ownership or is it something like a UVIP?

Also I see some guys just selling titles with no bike, how the **** does that work? What exactly are they selling you?

The "title" is the ownership. A clean title means no liens, no accidents, can be registered for the road. Selling just a "title" is a scam IMO, unless it comes with the frame from said title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought that wording was misused in Canada. I am sure the "clean title" vs "branded title" are terms that originated in the USA. A branded title refers to a vehicle that has been in a severe accident and it has been branded as "salvage". Basically, it was done (totalled) but somebody repaired it to put it back on the road. It could also been branded as lien.

But recently somebody posted here on this board that now Canadian ownerships are also "branded". So I am not sure how that is going to work in Ontario.

Obviously, most people do not want to buy a car that was previously declared a write-off. The damage may have not been repaired properly.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Ontario ownerships have always had "BRAND" on the ownership, it's what it says next to that word that matters.

Irreparable
  • Vehicle has been written-off as a total loss.
  • Can only be used for parts or scrap.
  • Cannot be driven again in Ontario.
Salvage

• Vehicle has been written-off as a total loss.
  • Can be repaired or used for parts or scrap.
  • If repaired, vehicle must pass a structural inspection test and be inspected by an authorized technician.
  • If vehicle passes test it will be re-branded as "Rebuilt".
Rebuilt

• Vehicle was written-off, branded as "Salvage" and was repaired.
  • To qualify as "Rebuilt", owners must have photographs, documents and receipts of vehicle damage.
  • Vehicle must have been issued a Structural Inspection Certificate from an authorized technician at a Ministry of Transportation-licensed Motor Vehicle Inspection Station.
  • "Rebuilt" or "None" are the only acceptable brands for a consumer buying a used vehicle for on-road use.
None

• Vehicle has not been given one of the other three brands.
  • Vehicle may have had a damage-related brand applied outside Ontario, or
  • Vehicle may have been damaged or rebuilt before March 31, 2003, or
  • Degree of damage does not meet branding criteria, or
  • Vehicle may never have been in a collision.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/branding/mandatory.shtml

permit.jpg

If a motorcycle has anything but a BRAND-NONE on the ownership, it can never be road worthy again. Unless you swap out frames/ownership. You can have a clean titled vehicle with a registered lien, you need to do a lien search to know for sure. A UVIP is a good source to find out about liens but there are online sources as well. Last one I did was ~$7 or something like that.

Last edited:
Ontario ownerships have always had "BRAND" on the ownership, it's what it says next to that word that matters.

Great post, thanks for the info.
The URL says that the branding program became effective March 31, 2003. So it hasn't been always... I am feeling old !

Also, check out the FAQ:

8. Are any vehicles exempt from the mandatory vehicle branding program? Yes, the following vehicles are exempt from the mandatory vehicle branding program:

Trailers, traction engines, farm tractors, road-building machines, bicycles, motor assisted bicycles, motorized snow vehicles, street cars and motorcycles (other than motorcycles** that are irreparable) or motor vehicles with a model year of 1980 or earlier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom