BMW F800S anyone have any experience | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW F800S anyone have any experience

Actually government is forcing the recall.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&rn=2013380

Problem for me is that recall is Nov 2013 for 2007 motorcycle, where people are complaining about it for very long time.
I mean there are recalls and then there are "your rear wheel can seize up" recalls. I would expect BMW to be all over issue like that and they failed miserably which recall finally proves.

As for redesigned part, I would expect BMW to realize that sooner, 2007 was long time ago.

I spent many hours reading about this because I really wanted this bike for my GF.
Failures don't always give much notice and some riders had them at 5-7000 miles.

From what I read in few days when I was interested BMW at best paid for the replacement parts and in many cases not even that.
Anyway, for our money we went elsewhere, and have no problems at all, knock on wood....

OOOPS I just realized you are selling the same bike :) Sorryyyyy...

Cheers!

^^^^^

Exactly, as pointed out above, and in BMW's case, and in GMs case........ we can put endless amounts of links on here showing how companies put out "defective" products.

For the record on the "massive safety issue" on the BMW (it must be really massive since the Govt isn't forcing them to issue a recall :lol: ), the F800 rear wheel bearing is a gradual issue and not every bike is affected. There are tell tale signs when your wheel bearing is starting to go. Funny click sounds, loose/wobbly rear wheel, belt looking like its going to fall off, etc.

It appears BMW felt it fit to make a redesigned wheel bearing for affected bikes so that the problem is less likely to reoccur. I don't see a problem with this.

It not like BMW quietly changed the design of ignition switch after getting reports of people dying and instead of issuing a recall like they should have done, quietly redesigned the faulty ignition switch and kept the same part number, so that everyone could be duped into thinking it was the correct part all along and no changes were ever made. *cough* GM * cough* :lol:

Last edited:
OP, I own a BMW F800S that is completely stock and I think it is a great all-rounder bike. But I'm not trying to sway you in either direction. Regardless of where you get any bike, you also have the option to take it wherever you want for service. As for cost of ownership, I chose mine because the one I was comparing it to (VRF800) was far higher expected maintenance costs as a result of the V4 engine. I'm happy to say that I know I made the right choice.

When I bought my bike the salesperson told me that BMW was targeting a more mature rider who has possibly been away from riding for several years (family, etc.) and is looking to get back on the road. His expectation was that 800 owners would trade them in after 2-3 years to step up to the 1200/1300 models. But a lot of owners decided this was the perfect combination of power, handling and comfort that worked for them in the longer term. It appeals to a rider who is 30+ years of age, but who doesn't want to fall into the "old dude" class, but also doesn`t want to be thought of as a hooligan if he got an SS.

The 800S was only available for 2 years in Canada so there aren`t a lot of them on the street. That may be a plus for some people, the lack of mass appeal means there is definitely a much smaller used market for them. Sellers may have to hold onto them for a couple of years unless they are ready to really drop their asking price.

The other thing to recognize is that people are always comparing the 800S to bikes that are not in the same category. Ok, I'll give the GSXR750 the nod in power (or any 600SS for that matter), but the same does not apply to torque. In real world riding scenarios, I'll take torque, thank you very much :) That said, you have to decide what is important to you and compare on that basis. Going for horsepower alone is a terrible choice, ask anyone who has been on a track with a liter bike and had their *** handed to them by an SV650.

Either way, good luck with your search. Just try not to compare an M3 to a Honda Civic :tongue3:

When I bought my bike the salesperson told me that BMW was targeting a more mature rider who has possibly been away from riding for several years (family, etc.) and is looking to get back on the road. His expectation was that 800 owners would trade them in after 2-3 years to step up to the 1200/1300 models. But a lot of owners decided this was the perfect combination of power, handling and comfort that worked for them in the longer term. It appeals to a rider who is 30+ years of age, but who doesn't want to fall into the "old dude" class, but also doesn`t want to be thought of as a hooligan if he got an SS.

The other thing to recognize is that people are always comparing the 800S to bikes that are not in the same category. Ok, I'll give the GSXR750 the nod in power (or any 600SS for that matter), but the same does not apply to torque. In real world riding scenarios, I'll take torque, thank you very much :) That said, you have to decide what is important to you and compare on that basis. Going for horsepower alone is a terrible choice, ask anyone who has been on a track with a liter bike and had their *** handed to them by an SV650.

Either way, good luck with your search. Just try not to compare an M3 to a Honda Civic :tongue3:

You are making some good arguments, but on few points my opinion would differ a bit.

Of course, BMW would like you to trade-in your 800 for K1200/1300 or anything more expensive .... I think that's just a nature of high-end brands. They certainly do not target first time owners, especially in younger demographics .... it's a well known stat for any BMW potential customer. So if you are young and on a budget, BMW basically says stay away, that's how I always understood it .... especially if the end game is resell back to BMW to get something newer, better and more expensive ... Isn't that how most of used BMW bikes and cars are moved? ... they always use that as a selling point. Pre-owned merchandise plenty of and with BMW's 2 year warranty .... I cannot imagine most people buying BMW used without one ... I have not met anyone yet.

I am not sure, to compare a liter bike against SV650 is a wise selection ... Would I prefer SV650 in town to a liter bike? Sure I would. Would I expect to be faster on track, not really, unless the other guy was worse rider than me ..... At any rate the F800 makes nice smooth power with plenty of torque. There's nothing to not like about that for a street riding. I do agree with you that looking blindly at horse power is a non-sense, but does anyone still does that in today's day and age?? (I thought that war was over, like the megapixel war in cameras .... it took a loooong time though).

wow this really sidetracked somewhat!

I am pretty certain I could lookup and find cases of defects/faulty parts etc that caused crashes/deaths on all line of motorcycle makes....suzuki/honda/bmw/kawasaki.....etc.
If someone could tell me a well known motorcycle make that have never such problems id be sold! In fact give me a manufacturer of ANYTHING.....motorcycles, cars, TV's, boats, cellphones etc that have never experienced the above.
Its easy to sit there, and google "bmw factory defect" and read all the stories and say they suck

I personally am more interested in finding out about all the known issues there are in a particular model bike so that i can then check for those issues on the actual bike I am looking at.
I could look at 5 F800S and maybe 1 or 4 or 5 of the will have the issues. Its at that stage I can decipher whether to take "the risk" or not to buy it.

Is it an optical illusion or does the back wheel look ajar?

Anyone have a problem with their 2008 F800ST? The nut from my front pully had come off for the second time and I only have 23,000 miles on my bike.

I have a 2008 st and have had no problems. I've got over 80,000km on the bike and the only issue I've had is the fuel pump which was resolved at the first service....

Anyone have a problem with their 2008 F800ST? The nut from my front pully had come off for the second time and I only have 23,000 miles on my bike.

If you're a certain type of person (I know I am) the BMW engineering/dealership experience needs to be avoided. There's a reason thousands of BMW airhead owners stopped buying new in 1994. I think I'm going Japanese, I think so.

I was considering this bike and backed way after some research and talking to some owners. There was a lot of anger from BMW owners worldwide over the rear bearing issue which was insanely dangerous, but was only recalled after 5 years of complaints. BMW quality varies model to model, and they have produced lemons, but the idea that buying a BMW will guarantee quality and customer support. They had some serious quality issues with parts made in Malaysia.

[video=youtube;ctplgxEMEBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctplgxEMEBI[/video]

There are many videos on youtube about this problem.

Dean Segovis' Hackaweek covered a shaft drive rebuild @25,000 miles on a K1200, the bearings just fell apart.

It is my opinion that if you demand the highest prices on the market, you owe above average quality, design and customer support.

Last edited:
Just sold mine to a proud new owner.

Highly recommend this bike to anybody in the market. A blast to ride and gave me very few problems.

I didn't have any rear wheel bearing issues, but BMW will cover it in the years to come. To my knowledge, all the owners who had this work done previous to the recall got reimbursed with no questions asked.

The rear bearing doesn't fail overnight. There are tell tail signs.

I wouldn't let this issue discourage anybody from contemplating the F series.

Sent from my Z30

Good to Hear Sunny. Any ideas on it's replacement?

I didn't have any rear wheel bearing issues, but BMW will cover it in the years to come. To my knowledge, all the owners who had this work done previous to the recall got reimbursed with no questions asked.

only after years of denial and threats of class action suit.

It's a great bike, and looks great, rides very well, but I had issue with the response of BMW. You make a mistake, especially a major safety issue, you fix it. That's what recalls are for.
BMW only changed its tune when EEU and American regulators started changing laws.

They have changed in the last few years due to aggressive regulators threatening criminal proceedings on auto manufacturers.
The recent 2014 R1200T suspension recall was quick and had a stop riding warning.

only after years of denial and threats of class action suit.

I. You make a mistake, especially a major safety issue, you fix it. That's what recalls are for.
BMW only changed its tune when EEU and American regulators started changing laws.

They have changed in the last few years due to aggressive regulators threatening criminal proceedings on auto manufacturers.
The recent 2014 R1200T suspension recall was quick and had a stop riding warning.

Like the GM defect that they knew about for 10 years and did nothing about while people were dying?

It's just the way it is. Seems to be changing for the better, but I agree, manufacturers should be held accountable for serious hidden defects.

Sent from my Z30

Good to Hear Sunny. Any ideas on it's replacement?

Hey bud, I've joined the club w you of former F800 owners. haha

Hanging up the helmet for now. To fill the moto void, my recently acquired "fun" now comes in the form of a slick stick shifting, sweet handling (for a front driver), 18" wheeled, family sedan.

Was really pining for a 3 series, but couldn't stomach the extra $20k+ price tag, premium gas, and extra insurance.

All the best and ride safe!

Pzr3AzI.jpg

Very nice looking Accord. 2 wheels will come calling again sometime. Enjoy the car, manual trans just makes it so much more fun to drive.

Back
Top Bottom