BMW F800S anyone have any experience | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW F800S anyone have any experience

I put in 2 yrs and 40,000kms on a 2007 F800s and loved every minute of it. The rear bearing did seize on me (just after the bike clocked over 45K) and it was expensive to fix as this was before the recall, so Budd's just blamed my 'non-dealer maintenance' and asked me to pay for the repair.

Despite the bearing issue I would buy one again if I were to go back to street riding. The bike was otherwise bullet-proof, super comfy on long treks required to get to any decent twisties and amazing on gas (as an added bonus needing only REGULAR) and a willing performer in the bends. Suspension is severely lacking though (for a sport-bike anyway) so I would consider that in your decision.

It is a machine with very niche appeal but if ticks the right boxes for you it will be a blast.

I've heard stories of guys heading back to their dealers with receipts and getting compensated from BMW for past repairs. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Pretty accurate sum up of the bike overall. It really is a blast to ride.

thanks everyone for the feedback. its all really helpful.
the suspension is lacking I noticed from the test ride, it has a custom shock installed on the back, will see what can be done in the front to help it.
i did have fun on it for sure.

If you're a certain type of person (I know I am) the BMW engineering/dealership experience needs to be avoided. There's a reason thousands of BMW airhead owners stopped buying new in 1994. I think I'm going Japanese, I think so.

They must have come back then, because BMW, (and other Euro bikes) have been outselling Japanese brands for a while now. Oh right, I forgot: BMW out Japanese-ed the Japanese with their s1000rr in line four, and have the original and still considered best "adventure" bike in the world. :p

Once a customer crosses over to BMW, they find they have an excellent line-up of models to keep them in the BMW family. And parts availability is the industry leader no doubt about that, and the parts themselves are really not that expensive in comapro to the Japanese. If there's one thing that can be said about propeller heads, it's that they are as blindingly faithful to their brand as can possibly be expected, even if the brand's number of recalls and significance of the breakdowns are horrendous, which often times they can be. Not to mention the bank-breaking and at times incompetent service departments which need to be used more and more due to all the electronics on the newer bikes leaving the average home mechanic little choice when all that poop eventually stops working.

The seductive power of the roundel is an unexplainable phenomenon and never ceases to amaze me. I find myself looking at new ones with plenty of lust all the time, regardless of what my rational mind tells me: "Be afraid, be very afraid." :p I may just end up buying one in the future if I have a weak moment...some of them are gorgeous machines to gaze upon.

I've never ridden any BMW but I did sit on some at the February show just to see how the ergonomics felt. I found the 650 felt more relaxed than the 800 but I didn't ask if the 650 was stock. What I noted was that BMW offers a variety of methods to adjust both the seat height and I think possibly the handlebars too.

I think it is good that BMW offers this. I haven't looked closely, but I know that some bikes have very few choices or none when it comes to changing seat height etc.

I thought the same thing about the battery. 5 minutes is doable. I coulda sworn the bike required premium fuel though.

They must have come back then, because BMW, (and other Euro bikes) have been outselling Japanese brands for a while now. Oh right, I forgot: BMW out Japanese-ed the Japanese with their s1000rr in line four, and have the original and still considered best "adventure" bike in the world. :p

Because credit is cheap? Because less people want to service their own stuff? Because people like shiny things? Every BMW bike is better than the junk I ride. My economic status (not dire by any means) suggests owning a BMW would actually mean the BMW owning me. That feels wrong.

I do not get it why BMW took so many years to admit to this problem?
This is one really scary issue and to read how BMW was treating it put me off the bike more than anything else.
I really don't get sentiment "my rear wheel seized up but hey it is a great bike go get one".
BMW makes great bikes but this one is not one of them.
Maybe they will fix it after 6 years, for my skin that is not good enough.

I thought the same thing about the battery. 5 minutes is doable. I coulda sworn the bike required premium fuel though.

Just installed a new battery, mite have taken 6 mins since it was slightly larger and I had to enlarge the mounting bracket bolt...plus I have a battery tender cable hooked up..mite have added 30 secs :cool:

The bike does not need premium but I run Shell Premium since I despise ethanol and that is one of the few fuels without any in it.

Had a discussion a few years ago with a buddy who was riding a F800S and I was on my ST...we tried to figure what bike would be as light and nimble/fun and also able to do some mild touring.
We couldn't come up with one...although he finally sold his and went more dirt.....KTM 690

My future probably will be 2 bikes.... a proper sport bike for fun and a K1300S for the longer rides....then again I would like to have something for the dirt roads and trails....maybe 3 bikes:)

For now this is a pretty good all around bike.... I find the same thing with German cars...maybe not the absolute best in any one category but all around a well balanced well engineered piece of machinery.

I do not get it why BMW took so many years to admit to this problem?
This is one really scary issue and to read how BMW was treating it put me off the bike more than anything else.

Ask GM this very question on the ignition recall where they KNEW there was a problem, they KNEW people were dying, yet ignored the problem.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

BMW to admit to anything anytime. They simply don't make engineering mistakes ...

Took GM over 10 years to admit to anything, only when they got cornered by govt investigators and the uncovering of facts began to be unravelled.

Then they hide behind a judge saying, "we're not responsible, that was the old GM"

Shame shame.

GM = Giant Mistake

LOL .... way to go throw the GM in the mix when needed, right?

I have a better one for you ... and much more relevant ... http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...still-waiting-for-answers-from-bmw/24228.html

Once you read that, you will understand the hesitation by BMW to admit to anything anytime. They simply don't make engineering mistakes ... they say ...

I've heard far too many stories of BMW vehicle owners pulling their hair out dealing with them. BMW is not a part of CAMVAP, the Canadian Arbitration program so all vehicle issues are dealt with through either the dealer or court. It was a deciding factor when I was looking at a pre-owned 3-series.

Took GM over 10 years to admit to anything, only when they got cornered by govt investigators and the uncovering of facts began to be unravelled.

Then they hide behind a judge saying, "we're not responsible, that was the old GM"

Shame shame.

GM = Giant Mistake

Why do you keep bringing GM when we are discussing BMW bike(s)?????

Because credit is cheap? Because less people want to service their own stuff? Because people like shiny things? Every BMW bike is better than the junk I ride. My economic status (not dire by any means) suggests owning a BMW would actually mean the BMW owning me. That feels wrong.

Aspirational products out sell less aspirational products in hard times because the people who buy them are better heeled than most. That's why BMW sales were better in terms of higher percentages, not units, same can be said for Ducati, during the recession than the big four: the people who buy them didn't suffer as much financially, so sales didn't suffer as much. Cheap credit is equally available to all brands.

I didn't buy one that's for sure. :(

I've heard far too many stories of BMW vehicle owners pulling their hair out dealing with them. BMW is not a part of CAMVAP, the Canadian Arbitration program so all vehicle issues are dealt with through either the dealer or court. It was a deciding factor when I was looking at a pre-owned 3-series.

Yep ... as most 1st owners will tell you (or have told me) ... great cars, but must sell before the warranty runs out, because after that ... No question they can design cars and bikes, but boy the also know how to play the game. I just find it distasteful when some people try to make you believe that this is not the case.

Aspirational products out sell less aspirational products in hard times because the people who buy them are better heeled than most. That's why BMW sales were better in terms of higher percentages, not units, same can be said for Ducati, during the recession than the big four: the people who buy them didn't suffer as much financially, so sales didn't suffer as much. Cheap credit is equally available to all brands.

I didn't buy one that's for sure. :(

Bingo .... finally someone who gets it.

Why do you keep bringing GM when we are discussing BMW bike(s)?????

He doesnt seem to say why he has this anti GM attitude. Maybe he got fired by them and now has nothing better to (check his post count). He also has this pro honda thing going (but doesnt own one)yet he rides a bmw that has a massive safety issue. Hypocritical?

At least keep it bike related:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-forum/262001-gl1800-brakes-frame-recall.html

"Just a shame that Honda were supplying 04 models with possibly defective frames when they had to already know that the weldng was insufficient on all the 1800s. I wonder if the 05's will get the recall next year.
Likewise the overheating problem. I haven't personally had it but I reckon that all 1800s will be likely to get this problem with a few years age on them."

Last edited:
^^^^^

Exactly, as pointed out above, and in BMW's case, and in GMs case........ we can put endless amounts of links on here showing how companies put out "defective" products.

For the record on the "massive safety issue" on the BMW (it must be really massive since the Govt isn't forcing them to issue a recall :lol: ), the F800 rear wheel bearing is a gradual issue and not every bike is affected. There are tell tale signs when your wheel bearing is starting to go. Funny click sounds, loose/wobbly rear wheel, belt looking like its going to fall off, etc.

It appears BMW felt it fit to make a redesigned wheel bearing for affected bikes so that the problem is less likely to reoccur. I don't see a problem with this.

It not like BMW quietly changed the design of ignition switch after getting reports of people dying and instead of issuing a recall like they should have done, quietly redesigned the faulty ignition switch and kept the same part number, so that everyone could be duped into thinking it was the correct part all along and no changes were ever made. *cough* GM * cough* :lol:

It appears BMW felt it fit to make a redesigned wheel bearing for affected bikes so that the problem is less likely to reoccur. I don't see a problem with this.

I do. Seems BMW is always trying to be too clever by half. Wheel bearings have been around forever and the single sided swinging arm half of forever. Shouldn't need to redesign bearings. I'm surprised they haven't tried to reinvent the wheel.
Drive shafts, U joints and final drives, same deal. How many other brands have those without issue? Everybody except BMW. What about lubing splines on the trans input shaft? No standard trans vehicle I know (car or bike) needs the trans pulled as a regular service to lube the splines except BMW. For 2014 they changed that on some models. Finally.

It is really sad how some people would defend brand they own .....

Did you know that r1200GS latest year model sports a steering damper? ..... Year after a journalist died and after many others reported strangest and wild tank slappers. Obviously, BMW admitted to zero problems, yet decided to not really list the damper even as a feature .... Who spends money on everything but standard part without bragging about it??

Point is, companies make awful errors and mistakes, BMW is unfortunately no different, even though some people would like you believe that.

Back
Top Bottom