Decent Looking Tie downs | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decent Looking Tie downs

How much pressure is too much? I strap about at least 2-3" of the forks compressed from neutral.

You guys know how to make anything complicated

2" cam buckle straps. Replace the bed end with self locking hooks and the bike end with caraibiners. Climbing strap looped through itself around bars and carabiners clip to them. Cinch loose ends of straps through themselves tight against buckles. Done. Best 2" cam lock straps I've ever used were the branded Yamaha ones dealers sold in the 70s.

F39B4B35-8734-452B-A203-5B61720FDAAB-2840-00000174C5E19201_zpsaf870451.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, I HAD one of those. Unfortunately either Asselstine's has mine or it's in the Direct Motocross Magazine trailer which I think got sold recently lol. Gotta get another.

A piece of 2x4 works just as well.

I use ratchet straps because I find them easier to get the bikes level when tying them down. I used the cam style straps on my mx bike years ago and never had issues and still use them when quickly tying down material. Tying down bikes with nice paint and fiberglass bodywork takes a bit more care than plastic dirtbikes that can be crashed constantly and still look new lol. All this said I'm done with straps and will use the pitbull system from now on.

2" cam buckle straps. Replace the bed end with self locking hooks and the bike end with caraibiners. Climbing strap looped through itself around bars and carabiners clip to them. Cinch loose ends of straps through themselves tight against buckles. Done. Best 2" cam lock straps I've ever used were the branded Yamaha ones dealers sold in the 70s.
Been thinking about using carabiners for a while. Would allow you to use a lot less tension as you don't have to worry about it coming unhooked if it goes slack.

Exactly. Some climbing straps in a Girth Hitch on the bars and the carabiners clipped to them and you never have to worry about popping a hook. Plus there's less pressure on the bars than the single contact point of a hook, and they don't leave marks.

girth_hitch.jpg

I just use regular cam style straps... I've NEVER had one fail, and I likely trailer/haul bikes more than most of the guys on this board. Seriously, I haul every single weekend both the FZ6 and the 250F an average of 6 hours EVERY weekend and I've never had one slip.
Tie the free end around the tensioned part of the strap just below the buckle. In the event it slips on the cam, it won't go anywhere.
You guys are likely putting too much force on the suspension using all these ratchet style straps, plus it takes longer and there is more of a chance for failure.
You only need enough tension so the suspension doesn't easily move on it's own body weight over bumps, balance the tension between the straps and you're good to go. Get the straps with the guards over the hooks to prevent them from coming off your mounting point if they do go slack if that's a concern to you. (I don't have them, and as stated, I've never had an issue)

Back
Top Bottom