If you weren't feeling old | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

If you weren't feeling old

What about the Gemini? Anyone use this one?

A friend of mine use to have onw and remeber the video output was hanging off the motherboard so we would have to set it up a certain way with books pressing up against it so it could make contact with the cable/motherboard, what a POS. lol

6a00d83452989a69e200e550507fc48834-800wi.jpg

Last edited:
back in my day when you wanted a computer andthought you were going to play video games, you got one of these:

Coco3-1L.jpg

and a book:

basicprograms-trs80.png

after you typed in the program you could play it, and if you didn't have a disk drive well....enjoy it until the power went out....

I used a book similar to that but for GW-BASIC. My brother and I took shifts copying the text. It took about 3 hours to write a Ski game. The game lasted a total of 10 seconds and it wasn't very good... deflating times.

I used a book similar to that but for GW-BASIC. My brother and I took shifts copying the text. It took about 3 hours to write a Ski game. The game lasted a total of 10 seconds and it wasn't very good... deflating times.

The BASIC games never turned out that great.

I had an Apple II clone and I quickly graduated from typing in BASIC games to typing in machine code from a magazine called Nibble. Can you imagine reading and copying 10 pages of tiny hexadecimal codes into a greenscreen hex editor? Took days to do it and even longer to proof-read it, since you'd inevitably type in (more than) a few codes wrong.

I think Nibble had an option where you could mail in a card and buy a floppy disk with the game on it. Not an option for a 10-year old... I think this is how I developed my OCD tendencies...

How many had their first computing experience with these?
card2.jpg

Awesome. I used to write infinite loop printing programs on purpose so that I would get the biggest printout in class -
the next day of course as the school didn't actually have a computer.

How many had their first computing experience with these?
card2.jpg

Wow, that's wild ... Mag Cards!!! In my business career I went from Telex machines (with the old ribbons -- don't make a mistake or rip them), to mag cards, to carbon fax machines, to papers fax machines, to memory typewriters, to dedicated word processors (Micom), to computers where you had to program every thing on screen (bold, underline etc), to personal computers .... and on and on.

On one hand I feel really old (I guess I am!!!). On the other, I can't imagine running my business without a computer, the cloud and my samsung Note 3. Who woulda thought!!!

Their ignorance does not justify us being old. That's why we call them kids.

Getting too close to 50. I remember playing on my Commodore Vic 20 !!! Bad games, and the computer did absolutely nothing useful.

vic20_ad.jpg

Last edited:
Nintendo is where we all came together. If you are a 30-something this is our common ground.

Nintendo is where we all came together. If you are a 30-something this is our common ground.

Agreed, who here hasnt had a Nintendo and hasnt blown into the cartridge to get it to work...

Good old days of Mario Bro's....really makes me nostalgic and also makes me realize how much technology has improved in the last 30 years.

Agreed, who here hasnt had a Nintendo and hasnt blown into the cartridge to get it to work...

Good old days of Mario Bro's....really makes me nostalgic and also makes me realize how much technology has improved in the last 30 years.

And yet the rage today is Minecraft featuring big, blocky graphics played on high-powered gaming systems... I don't get it.

Its a fad. Nothing more. Certain group always cared more for the gameplay than graphics. I'd still bet more people play call of duty.

And yet the rage today is Minecraft featuring big, blocky graphics played on high-powered gaming systems... I don't get it.

Still have mine with a bunch of the games. Duck hunt used to be a riot after a few beers with friends

I had colecovision too. I could almost legally drive in 92 lol

I also had a colecovision lol. My first computer was an Apple IIe and then I got into the world of BBS....yup I feel old.

The Commodore PET w/ Cassette drive.
pet4032-12.jpg

and Unisys ICON
IconII.jpg

These were the first computers I was exposed too.

Back
Top Bottom