• Hell yes! Give into lust

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Hell no! The WR is the perfect city bike

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Alternator output
690E 224 watts
WRX 350 watts

That may be something to consider if you ride with heated gear. If not, then carry on.

Oh and ...
11uj2o4.jpg

Update: looks like the deal for my WR is going to happen tomorrow and I'll be on the hunt for a replacement immediately after.

I'm thinking that, for my use, that all three of these will be functionally equivalent: enduroR with SM wheels, 08-10 Duke and the 690sm.

Remember, this will be purely a commuter city bike, overkill I know but it is what it is

Any reason why one of these should be on the top or bottom of the list vs the others? Aside from looks I mean? The 690sm is the cheaper way to go but it may be the better bike, not sure

What say you?

Last edited:
. the only problem with the brand vs your yamaha is that if you need to order original parts is the wait can sometimes be painful. Get the KTM dude you won't regret it.

HOOLLLAAAA

I have never had an issue with getting KTM parts and I have owned 5 of them. If not in stock they have always been shipped within 3 days. I believe they come from Quebec which is KTM Canada's head office

KTM parts are way cheaper than Honda parts...and I have yet to order anything that took more than a day to get from Ohio to Apex Cycle in Cambridge.
All of my Japanese bikes take way longer to get parts for.

Honda mirror- 4118
KTM mirror- $34

Ditto, and I've got a model that hasn't been sold in NA for at least 3 years.

KTM parts are way cheaper than Honda parts...and I have yet to order anything that took more than a day to get from Ohio to Apex Cycle in Cambridge.
All of my Japanese bikes take way longer to get parts for.

Honda mirror- 4118
KTM mirror- $34

Thanks for this thread... Very possibly the next street bike.
Selling the FZ6 this spring to finish up my car project then eventually getting another bike and this fits the bill.

I bought my SMC a couple of years ago and it's easily been one of my favourite bikes for it's all around versatility. It's also fairly light. You can accessorize it, as it shares the same platform with the Enduro, and go touring or strip it down and take it to the track. With it's 10" travel, it makes the bumps and pot holes in the city easier to manage.
Valve clearance adjustment is fairly straightforward, it's a single. Other than one issue I had when I was in Utah with the bike, it's been trouble free for me.
I bought some 17" knobbies as I want to do more off pavement stuff.
SMC's maybe hard to come by, but you can always get the Enduro and put on some 17" wheels, easier to go this route than going from SM to Enduro.

My SMC in it's current form.

gpsmount3.jpg

Not entirely true. The brakes are very different. The rims dont swap due to disk size and caliper.

The LC4 needs new rocker rollers at MAXIMUM 20 000 KM, otherwise you will eat the camshaft.

IMHO it's the right bike, but not the right place.

Well, dammit, someone bought my WR!

Im now on the hunt for its replacement.

I cant fall even further behind in GTA PhotoTag!

It will be between the Duke III and the Enduro R with SM wheels.

Possibly something different - looking for a supermoto dripping with wickedness or a Duke III

Well, dammit, someone bought my WR!

Im now on the hunt for its replacement.

I cant fall even further behind in GTA PhotoTag!

It will be between the Duke III and the Enduro R with SM wheels.

Possibly something different - looking for a supermoto dripping with wickedness or a Duke III

After checking out kijiji prices on those, call Todd at Mission Cycle in Angus (10 minutes from Barrie). He is selling new 690 Dukes at $8500 until June 30. Considering the kijiji average of $7500, go new. He still has some and they look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im less of a fan of the new Dukes as the previous, but yes, thats sound advice and can help with pricing of the older ones too.

Thinking out of the box, for a commuter/super fun city bike, am I on the right track with a KTM 690 (of some form) instead of an Husq 510 or an Aprilia SXV550?

Maintenance is semi-important and reliability is very important. Bike will be on the highway about 25% of its miles.

Dont be scared of the 625s. That carb is a marvel while the 690 injector clogs. The LC4 is a very reliable engine short of the rocker roller oiling issues thats the same on 690s

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

I'd avoid husky until we see what pans out for parts/supplies now that ktm bought them. I love the sxv, but I'd never buy one (IMO), heard/read a lot of bad stuff about reliability, have no first hand knowledge of this though. In my mind, ktm is the way to go .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd avoid husky until we see what pans out for parts/supplies now that ktm bought them. I love the sxv, but I'd never buy one (IMO), heard/read a lot of bad stuff about reliability, have no first hand knowledge of this though. In my mind, ktm is the way to go .

I've heard the same about the Ape; it's a race bike in street trim and its engine doesn't expect to go for any duration.

KTM I say... but then I'm biased.

I really wanted an Aprilia. However, if you cruise the Aprilia forum the reliability is pretty terrible. Guys have broken pretty much everything on it at some point or another.

If I saw one for a good price I'd still probably buy it though.

The KTM is a little heavier, but the reliability is MUCH higher an easier to use as an everyday road bike.

I love the sxv, but I'd never buy one (IMO), heard/read a lot of bad stuff about reliability, have no first hand knowledge of this though.

I've heard the same about the Ape; it's a race bike in street trim and its engine doesn't expect to go for any duration.

The SXV is reliable when it's properly set up. Most people don't know how to do this and/or neglect maintenance. That's where the reputation for unreliability comes from.
My engine builder got over 30,000kms out of his RXV (enduro, sxv motor) before the next owner ran it low on oil. Show me that sort of longevity from an equivalent 450 mx bike.

I do agree the ktm is a much better street bike, mostly because it was designed to be one. The SXV is the wrong bike for 95% of people.

So my plan is to get a KTM this weekend, most likely a 2008-2010 Duke given that my sole purpose is as a city/short commuter bike. I figure that the Duke is made for pavement, so its probably the better tool vs the SM(R) or the Enduro R. Although I do think that aside from cosmetics, travel, exhaust routing and gearing, there is not a ton of difference between the bikes. If an Enduro R with SM wheels showed up for sale locally (one just like the Renfrew that has since sold), I could find my leg slung over that instead of the Duke.

A couple curve balls - a 2013 Duke showed up for sale at a price that is not that much more ($500 tops) than the 3 year older Dukes. I prefer the older Dukes but it makes me question pricing. And a BEAUTIFUL SMR is now available on kijiji. I ruled out the SM after going to see one and although the SMR is not THAT much different than the SM, its a sexier package that, if priced well, could sway me.

It is mine!!!

So much fun. Turns easier than my WR did but bucks like crazy under 3500rpm.

Back
Top Bottom