Day trip suggestions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Day trip suggestions

brownelvis

I was wondering if people had one day ride suggestions other than forks of the credit. I haaaate riding in the GTA so I want to get out to some decently entertaining roads and still make it home after a full day of riding.

Next time I'm out, which is hopefully Friday, I might try a loop around Kawartha Lakes

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I was wondering if people had one day ride suggestions other than forks of the credit. I haaaate riding in the GTA so I want to get out to some decently entertaining roads and still make it home after a full day of riding.

Next time I'm out, which is hopefully Friday, I might try a loop around Kawartha Lakes

Been wanting to do a Kawartha Lakes ride as well. Let me know how it goes!

Ellicottville.

That's so close to the Allegany State Park it would be really hard for me to resist.

What route do you take? Any suggestions besides the 219?

I have to go pick up some packages from Buffalo so I might do this on Friday, weather permitting.

This is probably my favourite ride in all of southern Ontario, https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tor...0x4cd4419dc4bd38fb:0x58475384eb45ced3!1m0!3e0

Figure out your own way back.

Other than that, PA isn't far away and I keep on meaning to explore it more. Same with upstate new york.

If that is your favorite route in all of southern Ont you must not know ALL of Ontario roads. You missed a bunch of good roads just getting to the 507. There is a lot more good roads in that area that will loop around and get you almost back home. There are even more great day routes in the Muskoka and Calabogie areas.

You can also check out Motowhere.com for some great ideas.

That's so close to the Allegany State Park it would be really hard for me to resist.
What route do you take? Any suggestions besides the 219?

I normally run the lake (#5) then cutover to Eden and south from there. Can't say I'd know exactly which road as it's more of a tour than a destination. I'm sure #62 is involved, but there are so many country roads that not sure which ones I've taken. Normally grab a bite in West Buffalo and lunch in Ellicottville. Hit some of the local roads for a couple hours before heading back. Like horses, I more often than not take the direct route home (219).

If that is your favorite route in all of southern Ont you must not know ALL of Ontario roads.

Who said I knew all the roads? That's just a ride I like to take, if you have better suggestions please share.

If you are looking for good roads nearby they are few and far between but you can construct some from Shanes map.

If you are looking for casual loops with some interesting stops then
Port Dover ( QEW/403 to 6 ) and along the lake toward Port Colborne ( look for Selkirk and don't stay on HWY 3 but cut right down to the lake.
continue along the lake to Fort Erie ( cut down to Point Abino and Crystal Beach )
Along the river to Niagara falls then to the Lewiston Bridge and boogie home on the QEW or if you have time cut up to the Ridge Road.

That can be reversed as well hitting Ridge Road first after crossing the Hamilton Skyway and up the mountain to Ridge.

•••

If you are comfortable crossing the border a day trip to Letchworth Park and perhaps Watkins Glen is doable tho not a whole lot of interesting roads.
PA is your place for riding...but needs a couple or 3 days.

•••

There is some stuff up towards the Ottawa River and into Quebec but usually an overnight. PA is the closest for good times....some have done it in a day,

••

I'd like to get to know the Huntsville area better but cottage traffic :(

The loop to Bancroft, down to Kingston on the "Snow" roads through Frontenac, then along the lake via Picton ferry back to Newtonville and slabbed to TO. It's a FULL day, but if you are young ... :)

Thinking about it further, I would reverse it so you are not looking straight into the afternoon sun.

Last edited:
how many KM can you do in a day? That will definitely determine how far you can go.

Good question...I've done 1000km or 16 hour days, but its more about time in the saddle for me since I need to get home to let the dog out after 10 or 12 hours at the max.

I'd say a comfortable day for me would be maybe 6 to 8 hours, including stops, regardless of how many km I cover.

If you are looking for good roads nearby they are few and far between but you can construct some from Shanes map.

If you are looking for casual loops with some interesting stops then
Port Dover ( QEW/403 to 6 ) and along the lake toward Port Colborne ( look for Selkirk and don't stay on HWY 3 but cut right down to the lake.
continue along the lake to Fort Erie ( cut down to Point Abino and Crystal Beach )
Along the river to Niagara falls then to the Lewiston Bridge and boogie home on the QEW or if you have time cut up to the Ridge Road.

That can be reversed as well hitting Ridge Road first after crossing the Hamilton Skyway and up the mountain to Ridge.

•••

If you are comfortable crossing the border a day trip to Letchworth Park and perhaps Watkins Glen is doable tho not a whole lot of interesting roads.
PA is your place for riding...but needs a couple or 3 days.

•••

There is some stuff up towards the Ottawa River and into Quebec but usually an overnight. PA is the closest for good times....some have done it in a day,

••

I'd like to get to know the Huntsville area better but cottage traffic :(

PA is awesome, I know if I went there for a day trip I'd get carried away. I applied for a NEXUS card to speed things up aas i want to drive aaround there more often.

Back
Top Bottom