ethanol and effects on engine... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ethanol and effects on engine...

And according to http://pure-gas.org/ (an app I just downloaded), Esso 91, Costco 91 and Ultramar 91 are all ethanol free as well.

Every Esso I've been to in the last couple seasons has had the 10% sticker on the 91 pump. Not sure why it's on there as pure but maybe it varies? I dunno

In my old bikes I try and avoid ethanol. They were not designed for it. If I know i am burning the tank that day, I put in whatever is handy, if I know its going to sit, then shell 91.
In my new bike (2013 Fazer 8 ), I run 87 from any name brand station. Its a new bike, its designed for up to 10% ethanol and its also designed for 86 octane. No issues so far and I don't expect any. Using anything with higher octane is a waste of money.

Every Esso I've been to in the last couple seasons has had the 10% sticker on the 91 pump. Not sure why it's on there as pure but maybe it varies? I dunno

Me too and a coworker said the same when I shared the pure-gas.org link with him. Can anyone confirm?

Ethanol can be really bad for old bikes. Some of the new reproduction rubber parts for old bikes, stuff like carb holders, diaphragms, etc. dissolve when exposed to even the limited amount of ethanol in regular fuel. I've seen carb holders fail within a week or two of installation. Some of that was due to cheap reproduction parts, but for a lot of older bikes that may be all that is available now.

Me too and a coworker said the same when I shared the pure-gas.org link with him. Can anyone confirm?

Esso is not being straightforward in any of its communications. Looks as though they think it's a non-issue, or they just don't have a consistent policy across stations.

Esso is not being straightforward in any of its communications. Looks as though they think it's a non-issue, or they just don't have a consistent policy across stations.

Well we looked over the site more and now I see it's station-specific for most brands.

Canadian Tire and Shell seem to be consistent. Maybe not all CT's have ethanol-free 91, but I've stopped at a handful of them in the city and they all had the ethanol disclaimer sticker that overlaps the regular and mid-grade fuels only.

Probably the only ones. I think they started in 2007 on the 600rr.....not sure why since it only needs 87

HD and BMW are both using knock detection on some of their engines for the last decade or so.

thanks all for the advice and quick replies.

just waiting on today's dreadful weather to pass so i can ride my tank empty then re-fill with proper fuel.

on most modern engines its not much of a problem, it shouldnt sit over the winter if you have a fuel injected bike with the pump in the tank, its hard on seals and such. On of the areas its been documented as a REAL problem is any of the bikes with plastic bladder tanks (ducati) or fiberglass fuel tanks. In the marine industry its been linked to hundreds of blown engines due to ethanol dissolving the resins in inboard tanks and creating a goo that detonates engines. Its caused some very odd issues with Audi cars.

interesting.

so what other bikes have this issue as well other then ducati (plastic/fibreglass bladder tanks)...

well since you ask, KTM has a model or two with a bladder tank, Norton/CCM/Paton/a variety of vetter designs had glass tanks that did not like ethanol, amongst others.
It was (is) an enormous issue with power boats like S2, Hinkley, C&C and a myriad of others, they made huge formed in place tanks that were polyester resin product and the ethanol ate the tanks. In the 1990's the S5 had an in tank fuel pump that was glassed to the inside of the tank with polyester, the ethanol eats the resins and your pump floats around in the tank........ , Its a $1800 repair.

interesting.

so what other bikes have this issue as well other then ducati (plastic/fibreglass bladder tanks)...

As I previously mentioned; KTM uses plastic which is why I have to be careful with my Superduke.

I've never suffered from any of these ethanol carb stories. Ridden several different zx9's in the past few years-more than 100,000kms. Current bike doesn't seem to care either. It might be a bigger deal if the bike sits for extended periods like 6-12 months, but short term I don't see the harm.

I contacted McDougall(sp?) up here and they stated over the phone that all 3 grades may contain up to 10% ethanol. Maybe a supplier specific thing?

Using anything with higher octane is a waste of money.

Not necessarily, it depends on the fuel map you have and the minimum recommended grade. My bike needs at least 89 PON, I choose to run 91 cause I don't like the idea of ethanol in gas period. It does give a negligible gain in horsepower and runs marginally smoother though (91 vs 89).

Back
Top Bottom