New Toronto Rider! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Toronto Rider!

JonHorv

Site Supporter
Hey Everyone! I've been a long time lover of two wheels in Toronto. Until now that has meant daily bicycling in the city, never a moto. But! That's changing this season. Passed my M2 training course last August at Sheridan and have my eye on a '09 Ninja 250r that's for sale at $3k. Everything looks good!

Only 'hitch' (sorry, bad pun) is I need a way to get it from Markham to High Park in Toronto. It wouldn't be safetied, but registered, and I could legally ride it down myself. As my first run ever, I think I'd prefer to get it checked over and try some simpler runs first.

(Apologies if it's been asked before, I tried to search for it first)

So! My question is, does anyone have experience using u-haul motorcycle trailers? How effective are they? Do I need all the extra junk they try to sell you, or does it come with a chock & straps.

I also have easy access to moving vans & trucks, but the beds of these are higher and I'm concerned about getting the bike up there.

Thanks everyone for any pointers! The knowledge is very appreciated early out. :)

Hope to do some riding soon!
Jon

Not sure if this help, when I sold my ninja 250 a guy came with a pick up truck and some straps and just loaded it on his truck and strapped it down, everything looked good and secure.

As for riding it, you can always go into MTO to get a "TEMP" plate which is good for 10 days for like $15 so you can ride it around until you get your paper work done and here is the link for require info.

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

Welcome!

The U-Haul motorcycle trailers are great. Cheap and easy to tow. It has a chock built into the front of it already, all you will need is to bring your own straps (or rent them). The extra insurance is $9, it's up to you whether you get that or not, I typically do just because there's a good chance your car insurance wouldn't cover it and it would just be my luck that something would happen.

Ed

Thanks!!

Otay - How'd you like the Ninja 250? Good beginner bike?
Ed - Good advice, I think this is the route I will be taking. I've got straps, and will definitely spring for the $9!

Thanks!!

Otay - How'd you like the Ninja 250? Good beginner bike?
Ed - Good advice, I think this is the route I will be taking. I've got straps, and will definitely spring for the $9!

The Ninja 250 honestly is a awesome beginner bike, the bike is nimble, so easy to ride, so easy to control and most of all, soo easy to turn with, I miss it. The only thing I complain was that it does lack power and being a more heavier rider myself around 190-200lbs, but I enjoy every moment with it, it was fun and I think you made a good choice for picking up a 250 to learn on.

The Ninja 250 is also super cheap on gas, comfortable seating position, looks good and CHEAP on insurance! I miss all those hahah.

Good luck with your ride and I am sure you'll love learning on it.

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

1 - 1

welcome!

Thanks everyone! My insurance break officially comes today (25th birthday) and am super excited to pick the bike up tomorrow. Here's hoping the weather clears! :)

I used uhaul trailers twice. theyre legit. no issues in my two runs.
you need your own straps. chock built in as stated earlier.

here's my bike on it this winter...

1010542_10152161698881675_1872774635_n.jpg

1511262_10152161698846675_1936001881_n.jpg

Hey JH, let us know how the move went.

Also, I'm a bit center/west, so if you ever want to hook up for a ride...

Hey jon, welcom! Good on you for picking up a 250 for your first bike. Baby steps. If you ever want any one to ride with let me know. I'm always looking to ride with any one, lol. Could get some practice in riding in groups.

Thanks so much EVERYONE. It's a really exciting process, especially since it's my first "very own motor". I drove family vehicles (never bikes) before, but never my own. All the support and guidance was very much appreciated, thank you especially to you Muay Thai Dan for those photos! Definitely helped.

The bike is safe and snug at my place now. This week it's off to the mechanic for the safety and registration. If I could bug you guys for some more tips, I'm looking to outfit myself head to toe, to keep everything in it's original placement & condition if possible. Looking for:

Boots / Pants / Jacket / Gloves / Helmets.

So far, I know I want proper boots with structural inserts to keep all 10 toes. Would like reinforced pants, not just regular jeans, for extra protection. A proper moto jacket with inserts, same for gloves, and a good full-face helmet.

Does anyone have opinions on what kind of gear to look for, what to stay away from / ignore, and where you go for yours? Any and all advice, I'm grateful for.

I live in the downtown & in bloor west village. Have car, can drive to shops.

Thanks all!
JH

Thanks so much EVERYONE. It's a really exciting process, especially since it's my first "very own motor". I drove family vehicles (never bikes) before, but never my own. All the support and guidance was very much appreciated, thank you especially to you Muay Thai Dan for those photos! Definitely helped.

The bike is safe and snug at my place now. This week it's off to the mechanic for the safety and registration. If I could bug you guys for some more tips, I'm looking to outfit myself head to toe, to keep everything in it's original placement & condition if possible. Looking for:

Boots / Pants / Jacket / Gloves / Helmets.

So far, I know I want proper boots with structural inserts to keep all 10 toes. Would like reinforced pants, not just regular jeans, for extra protection. A proper moto jacket with inserts, same for gloves, and a good full-face helmet.

Does anyone have opinions on what kind of gear to look for, what to stay away from / ignore, and where you go for yours? Any and all advice, I'm grateful for.

I live in the downtown & in bloor west village. Have car, can drive to shops.

Thanks all!
JH

You're welcome. Post some pics of the bike!

Helmets- Id say GP Bikes in oshawa has a huge selection.

Jackets / Gloves / Boots / All things motorcycle else- GP Bikes or Riders Choice (etobicoke) both have great selections.

There are plenty of other shops with gear, but Ive been to those two and they have good service.

Kahuna in woodbridge is good too, but i wasnt there for gear so cant comment.

Back
Top Bottom