How to tell if clutch is not disengaging | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to tell if clutch is not disengaging

cbcanada

Banned
I installed a new clutch lever today
The release point is closer to the hand grip. So it feels a bit different

Just want to be sure.. How can you tell if the clutch is completely disengaged when i release the lever?

You can change the engagement point. Check your service manual

put bike in first, pull in the clutch and if the bike rolls forward you need to fix it...

Just want to be sure.. How can you tell if the clutch is completely disengaged when i release the lever?

+1
Put me down for want to be sure as well.

if you put it in first and pull in the clutch the bike should roll forward, this is normal operation....

When I pull the clutch in the bike doesn't move. It only rolls when you start slowly releasing the lever...correct me if I'm wrong.

I am confused, how can you put the bike in first with the bike running and then pull the clutch in?

You mean, Pull the clutch, put the bike in first and then accelerate without releasing the clutch, if the bike moves then fix it?

This is pulling the clutch in right? or is my ESL ****ing with me
gear_clutch.jpg

So then as long as there is some free play when released then i can be sure that i am not riding the clutch and burning it

Yep, I'm confused, too.

When you release the lever, you are engaging the clutch, pulling the lever disengages the clutch.

Yep, I'm confused, too.

When you release the lever, you are engaging the clutch, pulling the lever disengages the clutch.

Ok yes i know.. Sorry my verbage is backwards and always is with release lever stuff

What i am saying is :) is there a scenario that the clutch is not fully engaged ever.. Lets forget about the lever for a minute :)

I am confused, how can you put the bike in first with the bike running and then pull the clutch in?

You mean, Pull the clutch, put the bike in first and then accelerate without releasing the clutch, if the bike moves then fix it?

This is pulling the clutch in right? or is my ESL ****ing with me
gear_clutch.jpg

lol...yes you're right I just ****ed up the first two steps. Its so natural you don't even think about...

I think you have to pull the lever back to the handlebar to fully engage the clutch plate separating mechanism. For best results lube the pivot. Do not use opened pivot lube, must be sealed container.

Easy way:

leave some slack in the line....let the lever have some play before it start to pull the line.

Easy way:

leave some slack in the line....let the lever have some play before it start to pull the line.

What frekeyguy said. If you adjust it according to the manual and leave a bit of slack in the line, this will allow the clutch springs to fully release and push the clutch plates together, therefore fully disengaging. If it didn't fully disengage, then you would likely experience clutch slippage as you accelerate.

and push the clutch plates together, therefore fully disengaging. If it didn't fully disengage, then you would likely experience clutch slippage as you accelerate.

Language issues continue.

Language issues continue.

You are correct, but trying to explain the exact workings gets a bit convoluted... so for inreb:

Clafification of the Official language - the clutch is engaged when the lever is fully released (allowing full power to transfer from engine to transmission) and clutch is disengaged when the handlebar lever pulled in (disengaging the power transfer from engine to transmission)

What frekeyguy said. If you adjust it according to the manual and leave a bit of slack in the line, this will allow the clutch springs to fully release and push the clutch plates together, therefore fully disengaging. If it didn't fully disengage, then you would likely experience clutch slippage as you accelerate.

Ok this was what i was looking for! What does clutch slippage feel like?

Back
Top Bottom