Tire pressure question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire pressure question

cbcanada

Banned
-My tires (Rossi) say 42 psi front & back
-On the bike frame it says 32 front, 36 rear
- my owners manual says 30 front 32 back

Lol which one would you follow.. My guess is what is on tire right?

Bike is 2005 monster

I'm not positive but I think that the 42psi on your tire is the max pressure. I go by what the manual says. my ducati has the pressures at 2.2 bar front and 2.4 rear if it will be used with a passenger.

Ignore the tire it gets used on different vehicles not only yours.

My manual and sticker both say the same number. I would be curious enough to investigate why the difference on yours if I was you.

I wouldn't go by the manual. The manufacturer always chooses the most conservative figure for liability reasons.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Tires only list max pressure for the tires, which can be installed on different bikes of different weights & speeds.

Frame stickers can be confusing to read, but will generally either give two sets of numbers based on load, or just one number straight up.

Owners manual is usually the same as the sticker. Is it for exactly the same year and model of bike?

Bike is 2005 monster

Your choice what you want to run, however i usually do 32-34 front and 34-36 rear for street. Solo rider...

I wouldn't go by the manual. The manufacturer always chooses the most conservative figure for liability reasons.

We are talking tire pressures here! your post makes no sense.

Actually the manual is just hand written pressure by the previous rider again preference i suppose.. I am running 32 front 36 rear and i like it.

We are talking tire pressures here! your post makes no sense.

Makes a lot of sense. The manufacturer has no idea if you are riding solo, going two up, racing, and loading the bike with luggage.

It makes sense to use different tire pressures for different needs. The owners manual tends to recommend pressures on the higher side to cover their asz so in the event you load up the bike and 2 up, their "recommended" tire pressure will work. That's great and all, but when I ride solo and aggressively, I like to drop the psi a bit.

Hope the manufacturer doesn't mind. :lol:

I'm running 32-36 for everyday driving around town on my q3's, when I do any long trips that are all highways I'll bump up the psi to 34-38, and once the spirited rides start to happen I'm gonna drop down to 30-30 then adjust accordingly to bike feel for that particular ride

Funnily enough, on my 2000 VFR800, the regular load and maximum load pressures, listed on the frame are the same. Go figure.

And yes, never use what's written on the tire as a guideline. It clearly states MAXIMUM cold pressure. The tire doesn't know what bike it's going to be on. Every tire has a specific carrying capacity or load index as well. Something most people neglect. If you have a heavy motorcycle and/or ride with lots of luggage, 2up, etc, pay attention to it and get extra load tires which are readily available from major manufacturers.

the issue i have found is what gauge to trust? I have used one of those pen-type to set pressure. On my former Ninja 650 it was 32F 36R ... I later got a better (dial type accugage) and using that i found it to read different. If i set the pressure to 32 on the accugage, the pen type would be 35-36.

so what to believe? I have seen some tire gauges that cost upwards of 130bux. That is crazy. The accugage was 20 and i assume that it has to be more accurate than the cheepo Canadian Tire pen type. So i just use the accugage and set it to that. On my NC750, max load cold settings are 42R 36F
but just me so i set it to 33F 37R and seems to be fine.

You should also be weary of those gas station gauges. They get dropped, thrown, and abused. They're never that accurate. Always use a gauge to verify

the issue i have found is what gauge to trust? I have used one of those pen-type to set pressure. On my former Ninja 650 it was 32F 36R ... I later got a better (dial type accugage) and using that i found it to read different. If i set the pressure to 32 on the accugage, the pen type would be 35-36.

so what to believe? I have seen some tire gauges that cost upwards of 130bux. That is crazy. The accugage was 20 and i assume that it has to be more accurate than the cheepo Canadian Tire pen type. So i just use the accugage and set it to that. On my NC750, max load cold settings are 42R 36F
but just me so i set it to 33F 37R and seems to be fine.

Pen types are crap. Dial types CAN be crap if you bought a cheap one. I use a $10 digital gauge I got from CT... I have found it to be very accurate as long as I zero it every time I use it. YMMV

Bike is 2005 monster

If tire list a PSI on them - it would be the max. It also meant for installers to follow. Never pop that bead in excess to 42 PSI....

Personally - I would not go over 40 PSI when I am slabbing. Prefer 34/36 normally.

Bike is 2005 monster
go by the manual but 32 36 is also fine, 42 is too much

Pen types are crap. Dial types CAN be crap if you bought a cheap one. I use a $10 digital gauge I got from CT... I have found it to be very accurate as long as I zero it every time I use it. YMMV

How did you know it was accurate?
I will buy the $10 digital but how do we know its accurate..

I use the pen myself

How did you know it was accurate?
I will buy the $10 digital but how do we know its accurate..

I use the pen myself

I checked it against someone else's $$$ dial gauge.... which has since been dropped and is now useless

Ive been using the pen type for 5-6years on my car and have always had accurate readings (to my knowledge)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I run 36f 38r when touring on my VFR. Used to run 38f 40r but the rear tire was getting too hot, lol.

Back
Top Bottom