So I Had The Motorcycle Road Trip Of My Dreams !! (Outside Of North America) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

So I Had The Motorcycle Road Trip Of My Dreams !! (Outside Of North America)

RhyJwV.jpg

Is the license plate just a piece of paper taped on the bike?

Cool trip. Thanks for sharing. You posting this on ADV Rider as well? Think you'll find a much bigger audience for it there.

You mentioned you stayed in local homes instead of hotels. Why was that a safer option and how did you find out about who had rooms available? Guessing it wasn't airbnb. ..

I will tell you why it's safer and cheaper to stay in a private house. Imagine 2 shiny bikes parked outside at night in a motel/hotel, that's a magnet for bike thieves or other miscreants. But if you stay at a private village house the homeowner is known by the entire village and he knows everybody. Nobody will dare rob our bikes or do us harm. They always refuse money and want to give you free food, but the most downthrodden ones will accept your money. We were never refused a night stayover, the people in this country are very trusting and the notion of the "evil stranger" just doesn't exist. In one case we even had one farmer make his two boys wash our bikes before we left in the morning! We loved staying in farms even though villagers insisted we stayed inside their modest homes.

bike trip through Central American ..added to my bucket list..and riding through South East Asia.. More pics pls :eek: Glad you survived El Salvador and Honduras not an easy feat

Tell me about it. El Salvador has the same population as the GTA region (6 million). The murder count in Toronto for all of 2014 was around 57. In El Salvador just in the month of June when I took my trip more than 630 people were murdered. The good news is that 99% of those murdered knew their killers and the killers knew them, zip tourists were killed. The safest place to be there is on the road in a motorcycle, the roads are constantly flowing with vehicles and commercial trucks.

Most of your pics show up as ads for iTunes gift cards for me but from the ones I can see it looks like a decent trip.

I bet you'd like a trip around the Yukon.

Sorry I hate riding in the cold, and the Yukon is too lonely as in infrastructure? In Central America there is more infrastructure for the bike industry than Toronto, about 10x times more. Every 40 km there's like 10 motorcycle shops and every tire place also fixes motorcycle tires because 1/3 of all moving vehicles in the country are motorcycles. In major cities there's a motorcycle mechanic every 3 city blocks.

After a day of watching overturned tractor trailers full of sugarcane along the "Litoral Highway" we took a detour and for 30 km we went on this paved mountainous road that leads to another lonely beach in the Pacific. This beach is called "El Espino" and is situated in Usulutan province. Literally for kilometers there is nothing but coconut trees loaded with coconuts, when we tried to get some we asked a fisherman who could be the owner so we can ask permission to grab some and he said "There is no owner, grab as many as you want". Nothing but wide beach with blue hawaii-like waves beating the sand in this place. We managed to find a little bunch of huts that sold cold beer, drinks and seafood and we rested there. This is where I took this pic.... a lonely cowboy drinking his corona beers, and I mean a complete cowboy with boots and a pistol at his waistband, he was around 60 or 65 years of age.

-
-
-
-

arFdTi.jpg

Sorry I hate riding in the cold, and the Yukon is too lonely as in infrastructure? In Central America there is more infrastructure for the bike industry than Toronto, about 10x times more. Every 40 km there's like 10 motorcycle shops and every tire place also fixes motorcycle tires because 1/3 of all moving vehicles in the country are motorcycles. In major cities there's a motorcycle mechanic every 3 city blocks.
It's only cold in the Yukon in the winter. It was over 30 when I was there and has hit the 40s.

Yes, it's barren as far as infrastructure. Your pics didn't show densely populated areas so I didn't realize that's what you were after.

Is the license plate just a piece of paper taped on the bike?

Thats a temporary licence plate because it was a new bike... being a 3rd world country it takes more than a year and sometimes 2 years to get your metal plates, but as long as you have this paper from the ministry you are good to go so who cares :) That paper is actually a paper from a copy machine given to my friend from the dealersip where he bought his bike, it's a "policy number".

It's only cold in the Yukon in the winter. It was over 30 when I was there and has hit the 40s.

Yes, it's barren as far as infrastructure. Your pics didn't show densely populated areas so I didn't realize that's what you were after.

Wow it gets that hot in the Yukon? This central american country is more crowded than southern Ontario.... it's as big as Israel and has the same population... but get this... to go from La Union city to the town of Ciudad Barrios its more than 4 hrs travel time... and they are only as far as St.Catherines is from Toronto. There are parts of the country that it takes 7 hrs to get there.

Last edited:
There are parts of the country that it takes 7 hrs to get there.

That's a function of speed and distance, mostly, but road congestion can also play a not insignificant factor. I was up north (Ontario) recently and found it takes 7 hrs. to get to a lot of places as well. I would imagine a lot longer if congested.

Did you nail any tighties?

Let me tell you this, the ratio of females to males in Ontario is 40% female to 60% male. In this tropical country the ratio is 80% female and 20% male. Females outnumber men 4-1, women just abound and predominate the landscape, and because the temps are 38C to 41C and sunny all the time they wear shorts and short skirts all the time.

That's a function of speed and distance, mostly, but road congestion can also play a not insignificant factor. I was up north (Ontario) recently and found it takes 7 hrs. to get to a lot of places as well. I would imagine a lot longer if congested.

The main factor here is mountain ranges and twisty roads going through so many towns and villages.

---

-
-
In the photo below we stopped at "Zapatagua" detour just before the entrance to the "El Capulin" mountain range, you can see the green tropical mountains rising in the background... from here starts a 7-kilometer-long hill up to the top of a mountain and a subsequent 7-km descent full of tight curves and carcasses of Mercedes-Benz buses and trucks that have fallen to their deaths on 800-ft high cliffs. On top of the mountains there's many villages, kids and women are seen carrying wood and water.

5NIbaL.jpg

-

Last edited:
Let me tell you this, the ratio of females to males in Ontario is 40% female to 60% male. In this tropical country the ratio is 80% female and 20% male. Females outnumber men 4-1, women just abound and predominate the landscape, and because the temps are 38C to 41C and sunny all the time they wear shorts and short skirts all the time.

The main factor here is mountain ranges and twisty roads going through so many towns and villages.

7420693f8ab552cd25a6d6135d7afb0d.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

---

-
-
In the photo below we stopped at "Zapatagua" detour just before the entrance to the "El Capulin" mountain range, you can see the green tropical mountains rising in the background... from here starts a 7-kilometer-long hill up to the top of a mountain and a subsequent 7-km descent full of tight curves and carcasses of Mercedes-Benz buses and trucks that have fallen to their deaths on 800-ft high cliffs. On top of the mountains there's many villages, kids and women are seen carrying wood and water.

5NIbaL.jpg

-
In the photo below is "Marisela" aged 23, relaxing under the shade with a parrot. She's the daughter of the lady that was kind enough to give us water to wash our faces after a gruelling passage through "Tierra Blanca" on unpaved roads. The name means "White Land" and for a reason.... the dirt is as white as snow... I suspect its gypsium, for real. This photo was taken at the rest we took in Zapatagua detour, where the highway devides into 2, one goes to the Pacific Coast and the other leads to "El Delirio".

-
-
UmDhDB.jpg
Sounds like a good place to live

What a craphole. Who would actually willingly go there?

What a craphole. Who would actually willingly go there?

I've been a couple of times. Travelled around using a taxi. I asked the taxi driver if it was safe and he just said "if you see me running...you run too". Beautiful country with lovely people. Shame the violence has ramped up again recently.

This is the start of a twisty and fun descent from the mountain ranges of "Chilanguera" village to Litoral highway. Its a treacherous descent for anyone wanting to race down the curves because herds of cattle are encountered mid-way through the curves. There are also carts/carriages pulled by oxen that use this same road. On both sides of the road there are streams and small waterfalls and coconut trees everywhere. It was 10:00am in the morning when I took this pic and the temp was already 38 F, the humidex must had been over 42. Its humid in this place.

-
-
-
0AKOsi.jpg

-
-
-
--
-
-
We stayed the night in a private home in a village and in the morning I saw a lot of movement around the "kitchen" which was really a hut with no walls and an elderly women yelled out "breakfast will be ready soon!". I approached the "oven" and noticed it was made of mud/clay and our breakfast was going to be fried plaintain, sweet bread and coffee... real cofeee not that garbage they sell at Tim Horton's. The coffee were actually beans of coffee boiled on a pot and at the bottom of the cup there was this "sand" that was the residue from the coffee bean, the coffee itself had a flavor as if they had put cinammon on it... it was the best coffee I ever tasted, grown just 20 km's away in Chaparrastique volcano.

-
-
-
L3b3SW.jpg

Looks like an amazing trip and something I would be happy to do if you ever go back.

I've been a couple of times. Travelled around using a taxi. I asked the taxi driver if it was safe and he just said "if you see me running...you run too". Beautiful country with lovely people. Shame the violence has ramped up again recently.

There is only violence between locals, there were 632 murders in the month of June there and I didn't witness not even one, as a matter of fact I never saw an ambulance, or firetruck or police car with their sirens on, or yellow tape with a body nearby.... if I go downtown Toronto I see that all the time on the weekend. The violence over there doesn't affect tourists or north americans hiking and camping over there. One night at 11:30pm I saw this fellow canuck with british Columbia plates on his BMW tourer bike filling up with gas, he was on a solo trip from Panama all the way to Vancouver, here he was filling up at midnight in the middle of nowhere. I bet this canuck had a better chance of been mugged in Toronto or in Texas.

Thanks for sharing Pegs. I'd love to do a trip like this eventually. Sounds like it was a riot.

It was a riot bubs! Amazing adventure and the best motorcycling roads ever! And get this, its always sunny and temp in the mid-30's.

Looks like an amazing trip and something I would be happy to do if you ever go back.

Yes you have to think out of the sandbox. Trips to Pennsylvania or Muskoka just don't cut it anymore, I wanted something more spicy and exotic. I discovered there exists other things other than Harper politics, taxes and stupid media coverage like the Kardashians. It was a totally different world over there, nobody is worried about next day or mortgages and everybody has a smile on their face. I want to retire in Central America now. My next trip will be across Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Everything is cheap and there's always an ambience of fun and youthfulness. The thing that abounds more here is pretty single women, it just looks like there is not many men to go around here, this is what I noticed in every village, town and city.

Last edited:
Yes you have to think out of the sandbox. Trips to Pennsylvania or Muskoka just don't cut it anymore, I wanted something more spicy and exotic. I discovered there exists other things other than Harper politics, taxes and stupid media coverage like the Kardashians. It was a totally different world over there, nobody is worried about next day or mortgages and everybody has a smile on their face. I want to retire in Central America now. My next trip will be across Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Everything is cheap and there's always an ambience of fun and youthfulness. The thing that abounds more here is pretty single women, it just looks like there is not many men to go around here, this is what I noticed in every village, town and city.

Noticed the same thing when I went to Columbia and part of Mexico (away from the tourists). I felt completely safe in both places and everyone I met was friendly to me. And the women in Columbia......beautiful, everywhere, and always making an effort to look nice.

Ontario is 40% female to 60% male - The thing that abounds more here is pretty single women, it just looks like there is not many men to go around here, this is what I noticed in every village, town and city

inb4 I'm fun at parties

Hmm, going to need a source for that one.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-503-x/2010001/article/11475/tbl/tbl002-eng.htm

Hard to get numbers just for Ontario but percentage of females here are at 50.7% as a whole so there something for everyone, just might not be your ideal age.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-503-x/2010001/article/11475-eng.htm

I know your probably basing it on your observations ( My program in college containing majority male oversea Indians, I'm lucky to get 1-2 females )
Just don't want my fellow enthusiasts thinking we live in a sausage fiesta. :rolleyes:

Noticed the same thing when I went to Columbia and part of Mexico (away from the tourists). I felt completely safe in both places and everyone I met was friendly to me. And the women in Columbia......beautiful, everywhere, and always making an effort to look nice.

*Colombia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom