Riding in the rain in the city. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in the rain in the city.

Those anti-fog sprays are ********....

The old school trick I learned in my hockey days is using dish soap and a papertowel on the inside of he visor.

Those anti-fog sprays are ********....

The old school trick I learned in my hockey days is using dish soap and a papertowel on the inside of he visor.

No water? Wipe away after?

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Aside from the obvious (break ealier, driver slower, be more cautious blah blah etc etc) i have found cracking the visor is the best way to stop fogging, as a lot of people have already said. Be really mindfull of ANYthing metal. The bridges spanners ( or what ever), man hole covers, rails of anysort. Its like hitting ice. Also, be careful around construction sites. Especially where the dump trucks removing dirt enter, as you will get a light covering of mud on your tires. I drove by a site while it was raining, didn't even think about the dirt clinging to my tires, i took a turn (going under the QEW on lakeshore,) going about 8 or 10, and my rear end instantly slid out. There was no wobble no anything, just me laying on the street wondering wtf had just happned. Granted iw as on a RZ350 with smaller tires. I was so ******, had to replace a mirror and turn signals and bent my controls on the left side.

pinlock visors work great, and having a rubber wiper on my waterproof glove thumbs helps with the outside. I normally open my visor when standing still at a light, unless its a heavy heavy downpour. Never really had much of a problem doing that.

Crack open the visor. I have used shaving cream on the inside of the visor. It works for a while.

Couple of other things. Avoid riding in the center of a lane especially at stop lights. This is where cars that leak leave their fluids and it can get very slippery. In really heavy rain I'll also try and ride in the tracks a car makes ahead of me. They clear a lot of the water away.

I am looking for tips and tricks for riding at low speeds in the city in heavy**** rain. Stopping fogging and keeping the Visor***** clean

I always find that many people have a fear of riding in the rain. What would you do if you are caught out in the rain while riding or are forced to ride through rain for any one of many reasons? What can you do?

You need to practice. I find when teaching that riding in the rain is one of a rider's biggest fears. One of the reasons I don't mind teaching the BRC or ERC in the rain is that it really helps the students out so much more than when learning in sunny weather. They learn right at the start that riding in the rain can be controlled. So find that parking lot, and get to work! (On a rainy day of course!) When you first start to practice in the lot there should be little to no traffic but it will still help you rebuild your confidence. As you get more comfortable, work up to residential areas where you will have some traffic and so on.

Now you may be saying: "Yeah, sure, but the feeling I have is that wet surfaces don't give any warning. One moment you've got grip, the next it's gone. How then, can you practice ...?"
You must realize that cars can hydroplane much more easily than a bike with good tires. The rounded profile and carefully designed tread patterns on modern motorcycle tires really limit hydroplaning- you would be down in a second if they didn't. Car tires with lots of the right kind of tread will resist hydroplaning, but as the tread gets worn, cars can hydroplane pretty easily. Being on the verge of hydroplaning creates the feeling that the vehicle isn't "planted" anymore whether in a car or on your ride. When this phenomenon happens, fear can rear its ugly head.
You can ask just about anyone that has crashed on a motorcycle about fear. What ever caused them to go down, sharp right hand curve in a downhill, decreasing radius turns etc, fear will cause them to be uneasy for a while when encountering a similar situation again. Just hang in there, practice, and practice and you will be fine.

First and foremost you have to get past the fear. It takes over your brain and does not allow one to make proper decisions and take corrective actions. I ride in the dirt as well as on the street and it can be firm, loose, slippery etc. You have to ride the bike, look ahead, think of what you want to do and do it all without fear. If you are scared you are not doing the many things that riding the bike requires.

Typically a bike will hold traction much better than most of us can ride it! Even in the rain!! You need to trust your tires. Try using your rear brake when it's wet to test how much traction you have available. Keep in mind that your mentality can be your worst enemy. You should be relaxed and be as smooth as you can on the throttle and brakes. Trust is a learned behavior so if you acquire some experience with the available traction in the wet then your trust of your tires (and your bike) will improve.

When riding in the wet, explore available traction with the rear wheel primarily, and only with the bike straight upright. You can test the rear brake to its limit as well as perform acceleration tests to investigate the limits of wet traction you have (in a controlled environment of course). I was impressed one time when I was able to loft the front wheel in the wet, not that I was trying... but it's just a testament to the grip of good tires these days. Of course I have spun up the rear as well when assessing traction in the wet, but this is all part of the learning experience. This is where you will build confidence in how much traction is there. Good tire tread depth is also very important for those of us who ride in the rain!

Other than working with some trainers and performing some practice there is not much else I can advise you to do. Keep in min though when you are out on the road and it's raining, don't let the drivers behind you "push" you out of a comfortable range of speed. I'd rather be slow and safe than appease the person behind me by speeding up.

I hope this helps.

pinlock is the way to go if you can find a pinlock capable visor for your helmet, its amazing how well they work

Can't really add to that. I fully agree everyone should learn how to ride in the rain. It's a little nerve racking yes but eventually you'll use it. I've been stuck in a few downpours so bad you couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of you doing 50 with nowhere to pull out of it. It's nothing fun but knowing how/what to do will help keep you calmer and how to react to your conditions.

Crack open the visor. I have used shaving cream on the inside of the visor. It works for a while.

Couple of other things. Avoid riding in the center of a lane especially at stop lights. This is where cars that leak leave their fluids and it can get very slippery. In really heavy rain I'll also try and ride in the tracks a car makes ahead of me. They clear a lot of the water away.

I tried shaving cream, is obscured my vision and got in my eyes

What is a double shield exactly? Link?

Today I rode to Milton and the sound from the wind was way too much, driving home at night the 401 was so serene with earplugs

I assume that we are talking about the Pinlock system. Click on the video and skip to 3:30 if you don't want to waste much time. Also, tons of other videos in Youtube...

[video=youtube;I7fwrKBcb8s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fwrKBcb8s[/video]

Manufacturer: http://www.pinlock.nl/

Review - http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/

My new helmet I got for christmas: The pinlock is in the blue plastic envelope that is resting against the box, and it got installed into the dark shield:

IMG_1957.jpg

Agree that you should practice riding in the rain. First few times are shaky because you haven't yet assimilated how the bike responds to different wet surfaces. After a while it becomes second nature.

Not skurred anymore.

A wiper-index glove would be useful.

Took a ten minute ride today with the wet pavement, just running an errand, no slipping by I really didn't feel steady on the uneven road surfaces with the combination of potholes/bumps and wet, potential for hitting some hidden oil in a bend. I always feel safer riding in a small town in the wet where the road surfaces are better. All that being said I still ride in all weather above zero in the city.

Back
Top Bottom