Using CAA to tow a bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using CAA to tow a bike?

Had CAA once, disappointed in some of their terms and conditions (eg. only 3 tows max per year, limited amount of service calls per member). What nonsense.

Just started my 3rd year with AMA, only $49 US, and I can get up to 52 Tows a year for up to 35 miles. US based, but proudly serving Canada market too.

They are a Motorcycle association, so you can be sure they will send a capable guy to tow the bike. They work great for my cars and trucks when I've used them in the past too. And when I do my yearly trips to/in Florida, or anywhere else in the US for that matter. Its nice to know Im automatically covered should I need them.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/amaroadsideassistance

Edit : CAA $70 per year, and max 4 tows up to a measly 10km. :lol:

http://www.caasco.com/om/SEM-Join/membership-landing-page-a?gclid=CNKqm_WI3r0CFYZAMgodEDoAMw

Everyone knows to get CAA Plus, which gives you four tows up to 200km each which is $114 a year, works in the states as well.

I'm confident AMA does not have their own towing service, they simply resell someone else's service and brand it as their own. So no, you are not guaranteed to have someone capable to tow your bike. At least no more than a CAA call. I've used CAA probably about four times for bike tows, no problems yet. Just make sure to tell them it's for a bike and they'll send a flatbed.

^whoa at 35 miles I can push my bike home. I rather have 200km for 2X

The beauty is, if you need more distance, which most people won't, you can pay the overage. Why prepay with CAA for the "chance" you might need 200km when most of the time, 64km will do? I'd rather pay the $49 a year, take the risk of assessing my situation, and if need be, pay for the overage. I've had 3 tows in the 2 years Ive used AMA and have never gone over the 64k.

And the max 4 service calls per year for $114cdn? Ridiculous when you have a fleet of vehicles and a motorcycle, And a lot of friends who appreciate using my AMA service too. I'll keep the 52+ calls per year (of the same type), thanks.

How much do they charge per KM?

Last time I used my CAA was to bring my GFs car home. Her alternator quit. To take it to a shop nearby the bill would have been $400+. I had it rebuilt for $100. If you fix your vehicles, getting them home pays for itself. 4 calls is more than enough.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

CAA+ is for breakdowns. Abuse the service for shifting new bikes and see what happens eventually to our coverage in future years.

I've paid for delivery services before and they aren't that expensive but then again...I'm a reasonably honest person.

Used CAA and told them my bike is not road worthy - I just purchased a bike and need to bring it home to fix.

CAA operator told me it was fine and asked where I was.

Luck for the most part. Membership holder needs to be there.

Make sure you tip the driver!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

This is 100% confirm? how come? Who's doing tows on MC now then?

Contracts come and go from year to year or what ever the length of the contract is.

They've told me flat out that I can tow any car/motorcycle to anywhere in the 200 km range.

However, the one time I had a bike towed they wrecked the front fender and lower plastics. But it was after an accident so the rest of the bike was pretty busted up, anyway, so I didn't make a big deal about it. A lot of those tow truck drivers don't give a **** about whatever they're towing so you need to keep an eye on them. Always nice when you get one that is careful with your vehicles.

I renewed my membership not too long ago and thought I read that they increased the tow distance to 250 kms. Maybe it's just for renewals or family plans cause the site still says 200 kms.

Making a fake CAA tow claim is morally wrong and results in members fee's going up the following year.

Yes, because the 1% of the people who ride bikes only figured this dirty scheme just now and CAA never included such a possibility in their cost projections yet.

The way I look at it - I pay up front for 4 tows, they do whatever they want with my money, I use my 4 tows whichever way I please.

Last edited:
Used CAA a couple times for my jinx of getting flat tires :-(
They always send a flat bed. Nice to see other options like AMA out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Making a fake CAA tow claim is morally wrong and results in members fee's going up the following year.

i completely agree. It's because of calls like this that sooner or later they will be asking for proof of ownership and matching it to the plate.

i completely agree. It's because of calls like this that sooner or later they will be asking for proof of ownership and matching it to the plate.

No they won't. Once the tow truck shows up, they doesn't give a rat's *** what they're towing or why. If they don't tow, they don't get paid.

So what? If you only ever tow your own vehicle with a legitimate breakdown, why do you care what paper they want to see? It will only affect people who use it "improperly".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see CAA as an insurance policy in an emergency. I may or may not use it. If I don't use it at the end of the year, I'm not to disappointed as I obviously didn't encounter any problems. I ride a lot and considering the $ spent on gear and other accessories, CAA is cheap in comparison.

I see CAA as an insurance policy in an emergency. I may or may not use it. I ride a lot and considering the $ spent on gear and other accessories, CAA is cheap in comparison.

Exactly. I had my stator fail on my this morning and I had a flat bed show up in the afternoon to take me home after work. He was a courteous and safe driver who knew how to properly load the bike. He also rides and was an interesting guy to talk to for the hour it took to get home.

On the phone I was only asked what the problem was and I said the alternator was done. The driver only asked to see my CAA card and nothing else.

It would be funny to have your bike towed and when he unloads you at your destination you pull on your helmet and ride away.

For the people saying they won't get paid if they don't tow it you are WRONG. Iv worked for caa and if the vehicle isn't plated with a valid sticker they will refuse to tow and they still get paid for that... the flat bed rate plus the KMs you where going to have it towed to. Of course you won't have to pay for it caa covers that but you will lose one of your tows. Just because you think you can cheat the system doesn't mean the driver isn't going to get paid. Trust me they look for this stuff because if your vehicle isn't road worthy they can goto the next call and your call was just some fast cash.

Last edited:
Yes, because the 1% of the people who ride bikes only figured this dirty scheme just now and CAA never included such a possibility in their cost projections yet.

The way I look at it - I pay up front for 4 tows, they do whatever they want with my money, I use my 4 tows whichever way I please.

A plus membership is what $120 how do you figure you pay for 4 tows up front? It's the same concept as insurance not everyone uses it, some do, some abuse it. Just for a flat bed to show up is $90 then first 10km are usually free and after that it's $3/km.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom