Using CAA to tow a bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using CAA to tow a bike?

JustinRR

Hi,

Friend is going to buy a bike from Oakville and he lives in Toronto. I have a CAA Plus membership card, can I request a tow from the seller's house back to my friend's house? I called CAA in the past when I had problem and need to tow my car, they always ask what the problem is. Do I need to make up a story for the bike to be able to get towed?

Any experiences?

Thanks!

Hi,

Friend is going to buy a bike from Oakville and he lives in Toronto. I have a CAA Plus membership card, can I request a tow from the seller's house back to my friend's house? I called CAA in the past when I had problem and need to tow my car, they always ask what the problem is. Do I need to make up a story for the bike to be able to get towed?

Any experiences?

Thanks!

Just say the bike "clutch lever broke" and it requires to be towed back to my friend which is ''a mechanic''. once the tow truck is there, he won't care cuz he's already there and he won't get paid unless he tows "your" bike.

Make sure it's plated for the road.....

Read the policy. You get tows pretty easily, but it's the distance that's going to be the issue. You can get a tow to home or garage of choice, within reason. You might be better taking it to a random corner somewhere and calling it in as broken down. Let the air out of a tire - a flat is something they can see, (if it matters), and they send a flatbed.

With a caa plus membership, Max tow distance is 200 km.... To any location of your choice.... Let us know how it went

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

With a caa plus membership, Max tow distance is 200 km.... To any location of your choice.... Let us know how it went

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is it 200km per tow, or 200km total tows (I think they allow for 4 or 5 right?) per year?

It's 200km per tow. Remember that some of the plans require you to be at the time of tow. Some membership plans are transferable so just make sure.

also remember to tell them that you need a flatbed. Some of the live agents on the phone don't know that people actually ride motorcycles.

With thy caa you can have them to it anywhere.

For CAA Plus it's 4 tows a year max of 200 kms for free. As people have said just make sure it's plated and make up some story like it's not shifting properly, etc. They'll tow it. However, we could be overthinking this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last experience with CAA/AAA flatbed tow was for a friends ST1300 with a flat rear tire in southern Ohio. An hours wait and the driver had never towed a bike, so he declined to load it or strap it down, so we had to do this with his rudimentary gear. So you may want a friend to be nearby to help load the bike and strap it down + bring along some extra tie downs as well. No charge for the tow BTW.

With CAA the coverage is for the member, not the vehicle. So, it's not intended to help out a friend in need. It's also not intended to help get a vehicle from one place to another to get some work for a restoration or something. It's intended for a break down.

The destinations to tow are to a repair facility or to your home.

CAA operators deny calls all the time. Members call drunk looking for a tow home or have an old basket case they need moved to a new place and yes, they have members call to have a motorcycle towed for a friend and need it towed for 180 kms. Believe me, they will ask some questions before dispatching a tow truck.

But, as long as the member is with the vehicle/bike, it's licensed/plated for the road, it doesn't run, they dispatch someone. If it's to a buddy's residence, they may give you a bit of a hard time because they don't tow the same vehicle for the same break down more than once. So, they will caution you if the vehicle/bike doesn't get fixed at the destination, the next call won't be covered but, they will gladly dispatch another at your own expense. Courtesy calls are cheaper than if you call directly.

When calling CAA trell them you insist on MOTOLIMO to transport the bike, they will accommodate you, just tell them that the battery needs replacing, they will send Motolimo and you will have an expert :)

When calling CAA trell them you insist on MOTOLIMO to transport the bike, they will accommodate you, just tell them that the battery needs replacing, they will send Motolimo and you will have an expert :)

Good advice.....You may have to wait longer but, well worth it.

CAA does not work with Motolimo anymore.

Making a fake CAA tow claim is morally wrong and results in members fee's going up the following year.

yea, slap in your plates if you can because they won't tow it without plates.

Make sure the sticker is current. They won't tow with an expired sticker.

Had CAA once upon a time, disappointed in some of their terms and conditions (eg. only 3 tows max per year, limited amount of service calls per member). What nonsense.

Just started my 3rd year with AMA, only $49 US, and I can get 52+ service calls/tows a year for up to 35 miles (56km). US based, but proudly serving Canada market too.

They are a Motorcycle association, so you can be sure they will send a capable guy to tow the bike. They work great for my cars and trucks when I've used them in the past too. And when I do my yearly trips to/in Florida, or anywhere else in the US for that matter. Its nice to know Im automatically covered should I need them.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/amaroadsideassistance

Edit : CAA $114 per year for motorcycle coverage, and max 4 service calls per year. :lol:

http://www.caasco.com/om/SEM-Join/membership-landing-page-a?gclid=CNKqm_WI3r0CFYZAMgodEDoAMw

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom