sportbikes to cruiser | GTAMotorcycle.com

sportbikes to cruiser

kazmiaad

have just over 3 yrs experience riding sports bikes (ninja 250, , zx6, ninja 300, 600rr)
thought id try a cruiser this season.. dont know anything about them and so here are my q's:
1) any recommended cruisers to start on, im hearing a kawi vulcan 900 would be good - also not looking to spend too much 5k-6.5k
2) are you afraid of a bug or something going into your mouth while riding if wearing a half-helmet?

any insight would be appreciated!

have just over 3 yrs experience riding sports bikes (ninja 250, , zx6, ninja 300, 600rr)
thought id try a cruiser this season.. dont know anything about them and so here are my q's:
1) any recommended cruisers to start on, im hearing a kawi vulcan 900 would be good - also not looking to spend too much 5k-6.5k
2) are you afraid of a bug or something going into your mouth while riding if wearing a half-helmet?

Just get a v-max, and you are not required to wear half helmets. Though a full face will help you keep your chin in the case of a crash.

Get a scooter. They shred cruisers.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

Sit on a few and check em out. It's really more about style and comfort. And affordability.

I prefer more a classic look. Triumph Bonnie or Thruxton, HD Sportster, Dyna or Vrod, or maybe a Victory 8 Ball or Honda Shadow or Vstar line......Kawi's cruiser line doesn't really appeal to me and I don't see much out there.

PS, I ride with a brain bucket and get bug guts on my face all the time. It's just part of the deal and get used to it.

Wear a full face helmet. There is no requirement that says you have to look identical to every cloned fool from Wild Hogs.

If you can wear a full face helmet do so. I wish I could but the visors screw with my vision.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Went from an 03 VFR 800 to an 06 Vulcan 900 a couple of years ago. At first the Kawi felt so sluggish and slow, and heavy compared to the VFR. The viffer is heavier than the bikes you've ridden, so you would feel the same even more so. Eventually I got used to it. It's the most fun I've had on a bike, mainly because I can ride all day in comfort. Speed is relative, it all depends on what you want in the experience. I bought a half helmet, didn't have much issue with bugs but wind was a major issue until I added a windshield to the Vulcan. Please wear eye protection no matter what. I found full face worked nicely without the windshield - no buffetting. I like the black cruiser, black full face with tinted visor look on a cruiser, it doesn't have to look weird!

I made the change on a whim, I was at GP Bikes one day, the Vulcan 900 caught my eye, and I started talking numbers and it worked out. I suggest you do your research, try to test ride some cruisers. My one regret is that I didn't look for a used one accessorized the way I'd want - windshield, hard bags, performance mods, etc...so the costs start adding up..

Good luck to you, and remember, you can always sell what you buy and try a different class of bike...

If you can wear a full face helmet do so. I wish I could but the visors screw with my vision.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Same, but only with cheap helmets.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

I went from a 90 FZR600 -> 07 CBR600RR -> 2014 Triumph Thruxton.

Couldnt be happier. 8/10 the peformance of the honda, so much more comfortable for daily driving, yet very sporty feeling. I'm still wearing a full face most the time, but I have a 3/4 helmet with a bubble shield on order for a more retro-feel.

My wife and I both went to cruisers from sport/touring bikes. We both still use our full face helmets even though we have full windshields. Why change? We traded up at dealers to new but looking on kijiiji or trader there seems to be a number of well farkled shadows etc out there. Then again we were sure we wanted big bikes. And yes, insurance went up. The problem I've seen is that folks buy underpowered big bikes ,750's, and feel they're crappy so they regret switching. Either way,we're happy with the switch,you'll enjoy it too.

a) Suzuki M50 (800cc, shaft driven, liquid cooling...) - # 1 choice
b) Suzuki C50
b) Kawasaki Vulcan 900
c) Yamaha Vstar 650
d) HD (this is not High Definition 1080p, this is Harley Davidson) 883

I dont know catually, I use 3/4 HJC almost all the time except around zero (celsius) ambient temperature. For this I use full face Shark helmet.

a) Suzuki M50 (800cc, shaft driven, liquid cooling...) - # 1 choice
b) Suzuki C50
b) Kawasaki Vulcan 900
c) Yamaha Vstar 650
d) HD (this is not High Definition 1080p, this is Harley Davidson) 883

I dont know catually, I use 3/4 HJC almost all the time except around zero (celsius) ambient temperature. For this I use full face Shark helmet.

Father in law has Suzuki C50 and it's nice machine and can two up comfortably.

I've got a 1200 Sportster and don't like to run it too long on 400 series. It can and does. But, it's not fun. The sweet spot is secondary highways or scooting around town. You can find a used anniversary (2003) model in the $4k to $5k range with some upgrades. I wouldn't bother with an 883 as it does nothing for insurance rate and just has less power. The great thing about old Harleys is, they look the same as brand new! They are easy to work on.

Definitely agree with this, my buddy has one and I love riding it.

I have the Volusia. My friend has an M50. Another friend has a Vulcan 900. I like the M50, I really like the Volusia, I LOVE the Vulcan 900.

The Vulcan is superior in every way.

No love for muscle bikes? M109R, V-Max etc?

The most fun I've had on a cruiser has got to be the V-Max. More though like a standard. Went from VFR to V-Star 950. Owned pretty much everything mentioned and like it the best. Nimble and not buzzy within "acceptable" North American speeds. Although I am moving back to a VFR for a few more years. Not quite ready apparently :)

I wasn't a fan of cruisers personally so I'm on a VFR now, but I just wanted to add that some lower end cruisers sometimes have drum brake and from past experience I'd say avoid them and stick to bikes with disc brakes if you can.

If I were to ever drive a cruiser again it would be a Honda Magna.

A good friend has the V-Star 650, and it is extremely underpowered. He is very unhappy with it. Not much passing powers and struggles on the highway over 110. I have never ridden it but have been out with him many times and it is quite noticeable. Now I ride a 2011 ninja 250, and I know two totally different bike but my little ninja has a fair amount more than his vstar 650.

Back
Top Bottom