VFR cooling issues | GTAMotorcycle.com

VFR cooling issues

Hi group, I have my first liquid cooled bike; a '92 VFR750F. After a week of excellent operation it has started over heating.

From your collective experience, what usually goes wrong? Cooling fan motor, fan sensor/switch?

I haven't found a repair manual yet or checked the fuses, does the cooling fan have a dedicated fuse?

I had a temp-sensor-switch failure on my 87 FZX-750 (long gone). You can jump over the switch to test this.

Define "overheating" ... What's the symptom?

Temperature gauge going up when you are stopped, as long as it is not going into the red zone on the gauge, is normal and is not "overheating".

Going into the red (STOP THE ENGINE), or puking out coolant, etc is not normal.

Things to check, start with the simple and go to the more complex.

1. Make sure the coolant level in the expansion tank is in the normal range - not empty, and not beyond the "max" mark.
2. Make sure the coolant in the radiator - remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold - is filled to the brim.
3. Make sure the coolant is circulating. From a cold start, feel the radiator(s) - some of those bikes have two. Normal behaviour is for them to start getting lukewarm after the engine has been running for a minute or two, then once the temperature gauge gets to the normal range, they should become hot (indicating that the thermostat has opened).
4. After the above tests, ride. If you stop and the temperature gauge goes up, then start and go 80 km/h or higher, it should come back down to the normal range. If this does not happen, you probably have a stuck-closed thermostat or a bad water pump or clogged radiator fins or something of that sort.
5. With the bike stopped and engine running, verify that at a certain point when the temperature gauge starts going above the range indicated by riding in test #4, the cooling fan comes on. No cooling fan operation? Find out if the connector to the fan motor is getting power when the fan should be running (ignition on, temperature above normal range). No power? Check fuse, check thermosensor, check relay. Power but fan no workie? Check wiring, check fan motor.
6. A radiator cap that does not hold pressure will wreak havoc - test it, or just replace it with a new one.

P.S. VFRs of certain generations are notorious for running hot, I'm not sure if yours is one of those affected.

116c ish Is normal on really hot days in traffic, at least for a 5th Gen. Try a good coolant flush that helped mine keep temp down a bit.

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk

Hi group, I have my first liquid cooled bike; a '92 VFR750F. After a week of excellent operation it has started over heating.

From your collective experience, what usually goes wrong? Cooling fan motor, fan sensor/switch?

I haven't found a repair manual yet or checked the fuses, does the cooling fan have a dedicated fuse?

Go to a VFR specific forum .You will get lots a help there.

Thanks for the responses and advise. I may have been overly optimistic when I defined my bike search for daily commuting.
My overheating starts about 12-14 minutes into a stop and go commute. The temperature climbs and holds at about 80' of 'normal' temp range when I am moving, then it goes right through the red within a 1-2 minute span at a long light. Today it went over the top and spit out coolant-very bad.
The cooling fan is not operating and I have not started investigating the fan motor or the switch, I'm looking for advise as to which one to suspect first...

Probably the fan switch it is easy to check the fan. Just run power directly to the fan motor. Once the fan is working you will likely no longer have an issue

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I had an 86 1000R Ninja, they were well know for overheating problems.. Back then Muzzy made a replacement fan blade that moved alot more air than the stocker so I got one of them and wired fan to a switch. Never had another issue and didnt have to worry about factory fan switch failing on the hottest day of the year leaving me stranded somewhere..

Back
Top Bottom