How often to you clean chain | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How often to you clean chain

Maybe on a streetbike but not on a dirtbike. All that sandy grit is not good for a chain.

Here's what my street bike looked like after one commute to work:

9be6242cc61c8eaaa88e04b3f7286ddc_zpsf38693e2.jpg

dc1126ba955f1617a81f307b859f85c0_zps6e789c83.jpg

I think the main problem with cleaning the chain is that anything that can get into the area that might clean crud out will likely damage the O-rings. If you lube lots the lube, or the carrier for the lube, can take a lot of the crud out of the area between the plates and elsewhere.

..Tom

I've been trying the V-Tom method of chain non-maintenance -- I use Wurth and lube the chain at every fillup and after every time the chain gets wet; having a center stand and custom made PVC tube-box to carry the oil definitely makes this easier. While I don't usually take my Wee-Strom completely off road, I don't shy away from any gravel roads/tracks so my chain gets pretty dusty.

I only have ridden only a fraction of the km that Tom has, but over 15000k so far and I haven't even had to adjust this chain. I'll see how this method works for this chain, but if I can get to 50k plus without buying a new chain then I will stick with it.

You shouldn't clean your chain very often whatever chemicals you are using will break down the o-rings and shorten the lifespan of your chain. lubricate as often as you can or would like to . but you shouldn't clean so very often.

HOOLLLAAAA

I think the main problem with cleaning the chain is that anything that can get into the area that might clean crud out will likely damage the O-rings. If you lube lots the lube, or the carrier for the lube, can take a lot of the crud out of the area between the plates and elsewhere.

..Tom

That's pretty bad...I would clean the chain before lubing..

that actually looks like the chain might need a wash tank treatment!

What do you use to lube the chain? I have been using the lube paste and I seem to be using too much....seems to be flinging around everywhere on my first ride.

Sounds like the outside of the chain doesn't really require lube since some people are wiping it down

I quick wipe with kerosene, and then a quick wipe with 80w gear oil, every 400-500 km. That's it. My chains always give me 20,000km+ service life. They are a consumable, don't sweat it. Every other rear tire change, stick a new one on.

Holy crap. I never cleaned my chain before. What is the best way to do so?

I spray it first with a hose, then, let it dry a bit and then i lube it... When i lube the chain, i don't do anything fancy, just spray, move, spray, move.

I lube it every 500km, clean, ehh, whenever i wash my bike or get rained on, so basically, like once a year lol...

!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont do this (NSFW and NSF weak stomachs) !!!!!!!!!!!!!
How NOT to clean/lube your chain:
Graphics on some pages: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261&page=1
Graphics on main page: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9b8_1255471863

thanks for posting this.. i was going to spray lube on this way the other day but i was balancing the bike between a jack and the kickstand.. and the engine offed as soon as i put her in first. imagine if i had spent the money on a rear wheel stand!!

I quick wipe with kerosene, and then a quick wipe with 80w gear oil, every 400-500 km. That's it. My chains always give me 20,000km+ service life. They are a consumable, don't sweat it. Every other rear tire change, stick a new one on.

I did a poll on another forum asking how long chains lasted vs the amount of lubing/cleaning. Bottom line was chains lasted around 20,000 to 30,000 if you cleaned and lubed every 1,000 km, used oil, Teflon or other or if you did nothing at all.

..Tom

I spray it first with a hose, then, let it dry a bit and then i lube it... When i lube the chain, i don't do anything fancy, just spray, move, spray, move.

Spraying with a hose is really not a good idea. Why would you want to spray water on a chain?

..Tom

I did a poll on another forum asking how long chains lasted vs the amount of lubing/cleaning. Bottom line was chains lasted around 20,000 to 30,000 if you cleaned and lubed every 1,000 km, used oil, Teflon or other or if you did nothing at all.

..Tom

Good point, and yes, I'm probably wasting my time with the 500km lube interval. I think I do it more for cosmetic reasons, as a clean/oiled chain looks so nice!

Again, I make a habit of tossing on a new chain every second rear tire change. Sprockets, for some reason, never seem to wear out for me!

Spraying with a hose is really not a good idea. Why would you want to spray water on a chain?
..Tom

Hey Tom, as i stated, cleaning, usually happens once a year, but lubing every 500km,
but either way, how would you clean something like this? ;)
dirty.jpg

thanks for posting this.. i was going to spray lube on this way the other day but i was balancing the bike between a jack and the kickstand.. and the engine offed as soon as i put her in first. imagine if i had spent the money on a rear wheel stand!!

Hehe, yes, pretty graphical stuff, i like to remind myself of this once in a while as well.
Btw, nice nick ;)

..Tom

Whoah NSFW. :p.

That is nasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just changed my chain. 30,000 kms on original chain. I cleaned it maybe 3 times in 10 years. Just lubed regularly. It looked dirty most of the time but I never had any problems with it. When I changed it there was nothing actually wrong with it and I'm sure could have got a lot more mileage. I just changed it because I was worried it might break somewhere on a long trip. I don't ride in the rain though.

Good point, and yes, I'm probably wasting my time with the 500km lube interval. I think I do it more for cosmetic reasons, as a clean/oiled chain looks so nice!

Again, I make a habit of tossing on a new chain every second rear tire change. Sprockets, for some reason, never seem to wear out for me!

500 KM to lube is a lot beter than what the manuals say and it is close to what I do. My typical lube is more like 350 to 400 km as that is what I normally go on a tank. Chains like lube!

..Tom

I just changed my chain. 30,000 kms on original chain. I cleaned it maybe 3 times in 10 years. Just lubed regularly. It looked dirty most of the time but I never had any problems with it. When I changed it there was nothing actually wrong with it and I'm sure could have got a lot more mileage. I just changed it because I was worried it might break somewhere on a long trip. I don't ride in the rain though.

Me neither, but sometimes you get caught in it! I once got hit with torrential rain and near-golf ball sized hail somewhere in Port Carling! I was surprized I made it home in one piece! The chain still looked oiled and fine.

I use Motul chain clean and lube, the lube is wax soo it stick nice and clean on the chain. Clean it when you feel like doing it. It never hurts to clean as often as you can.

Back
Top Bottom