How often to you clean chain | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How often to you clean chain

I use Motul chain clean and lube, the lube is wax soo it stick nice and clean on the chain. Clean it when you feel like doing it. It never hurts to clean as often as you can.

It might.

How long do your chains last?

..Tom

Use some common sense guys. Does water dissolve oil? No. So why would you clean your chain after every rain?? If it is especially dusty or muddy, then yes, the sand particles that attach to your chain are abrasive and will speed up the wear of your chain, sprockets, etc. If anything, the rain will clean out your chain from any loose sand particles. But I would agree that you can't go wrong with regular lubing.

A proper ride can't be undertaken without a clean back wheel. Timmies run? Sure. But a proper weekend ride needs a clean back wheel so while it's up on the stands it's nothing to lube the chain. So every long ride it's lubed.

edit, d'oh this thread is about cleaning N/M, never do that

Last edited:
A proper ride can't be undertaken without a clean back wheel. Timmies run? Sure. But a proper weekend ride needs a clean back wheel so while it's up on the stands it's nothing to lube the chain. So every long ride it's lubed.

edit, d'oh this thread is about cleaning N/M, never do that

Did somebody take your bike away? Or something? You have been a real grumpy gus lately

Usually clean my chain every week ... If I finish off a long ride up north for 4 to 6 hours I'll clean the chain right after the ride ... even if I don't ride for a whole week I'll still clean the chain ... call me obsessive but it puts me at ease that the chain will always be in good shape !

Usually clean my chain every week ... If I finish off a long ride up north for 4 to 6 hours I'll clean the chain right after the ride ... even if I don't ride for a whole week I'll still clean the chain ... call me obsessive but it puts me at ease that the chain will always be in good shape !

I'll do it after riding up north just because of sand. Ride anywhere else and it's just lube and clean every other week

Back
Top Bottom