Neck braces? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Neck braces?

ajaxguy

Ok so my son is 7 and is starting his racing career next month...I have everything except a neck brace right now...the only reason is I have been researching like crazy..now this scan be good or bad. So Leatt is the "king" of these things right? They are like $400 but its not the price, as i can get one really cheap right now. So assuming they were all the same price, which one is best and do they really work?
I ask IF they work, because in my research I have read numerous posts about Leatt braces breaking these guys collar bones as it presses down on them the wrong way in a crash. Not sure what any of your experiences are with this? he has tried on multiple ones at Royal so I have an idea of what fits...also with his roost guard I heard the Leatt does not sit proper.

Any info is appreciated!

We went with the Alpinestars one. I assume it's similar to the Leatt.

In my mind a broken collar bone is a million times better than a spinal injury.

We went with the Alpinestars one. I assume it's similar to the Leatt.

In my mind a broken collar bone is a million times better than a spinal injury.

I hear that.... but in these cases they said( and I guess hard to determine) that the fall was not that bad and would have not had created a spinal injury but did create a broken collarbone.

Go with Atlas. It is the only brace to wear. It's Canadian designed as well, but that isn't why I say it is the one to use.
The design of it is superior as to where it places the load.
The Leatt places the load on to the Spinous process of the vertebrae. This has seen a rise in Fractures of the upper Thoracic vertebrae, typically of the spinous process.
The atlas places the rear load on the scapula (shoulder blades). These are thick, hefty bones surrounded by layers of muscle. Much less likely to break, and if they do break at least you don't have the complications of a possible spinal injury.
The frontal load of the atlas is spread out on the chest and designed to limit the possibility of a collar bone fracture in comparison to the Leatt, since the Leatt tends to place side loads directly to that area.

The atlast is also not as rigid as the Leatt, which is a good thing. It allows the energy to dissipate, and to move with the body.
Another bonus is the cost. I was on a waiting list, and the day they were on the market I had one in my hand. I was the first guy in my club to have one, and now they are just as popular, and if not more popular than the Leatt. A lot of guys got rid of their Leatt to get an Atlas.

It is also of a lower profile design, which if you're someone with shoulder muscles and a shorter neck, will allow you to wear the brace with upper body protection. I couldn't get the Leatt to fit without hitting my helmet too early while wearing anything other than the expensive Leatt chest protector.

A few weeks after I got my Atlas, I cross rutted in a pretty fast corner and the first thing to hit the outside berm was my helmet (I basically had a highside that turned me in to a lawn dart). I felt the pressure of the impact in my shoulders, but I managed to get up, and finish my practice session... Without the brace I would have been done for the day at least.

Sorry for the novel, but I researched and test fitted and rode with the Leatt and the A* before I got my Atlas.

Side note: The release of the Atlas was held back due to Leatt trying to sue them for some type of similarity in design. Considering how they weren't threatened by A* which has a much more similar design to the Leatt and is a much larger company, shows they knew the Atlas was a better idea.

Last edited:
I liked the atlas one but all of the braces not fit with the roost protector thus negating the affect of the brace...so i went with this as it provides the body protection as well as neck and to be honest not to bad a price when you factor in all the protection.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/LEATT-YOUTH-FUSION-20-VEST

Yes, braces only work correctly when the contact points of the brace are on the body.
I wear a fox chest protector with my atlas, and basically tuck my atlas support pads under my chest protector. This also allows the protector to hold my neck brace in place. Makes it simpler to get on and off, and it's also less straps for medics to deal with.

Best thing to do, is go to Royal and try all the combinations.

Villopoto was a Leatt guy, and switched to Atlas... I wonder why? ($ isnt the reason, the dude is loaded and wouldn't risk his career for a lesser product)
ive seen the latches on the Leatt come off mid race.

Villopoto was a Leatt guy, and switched to Atlas... I wonder why? ($ isnt the reason, the dude is loaded and wouldn't risk his career for a lesser product)

[video=youtube;37QQC7E88-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37QQC7E88-g[/video]

Dungey loses his Leatt as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLEe3POxTqY

Yes, braces only work correctly when the contact points of the brace are on the body.
I wear a fox chest protector with my atlas, and basically tuck my atlas support pads under my chest protector. This also allows the protector to hold my neck brace in place. Makes it simpler to get on and off, and it's also less straps for medics to deal with.

Best thing to do, is go to Royal and try all the combinations.

I did that at royal and none and I mean none of the combos fit him.. this thing i ordered looks like the perfect fit and no latches on the brace itself...should work good.

I did that at royal and none and I mean none of the combos fit him.. this thing i ordered looks like the perfect fit and no latches on the brace itself...should work good.

This brace appears to not have a quick release system (not that I saw in that add at least).
The normal Leatt braces, A* and Atlas all have quick release mechanisms designed to help the medics remove the brace in the event they need to do so without moving the spine. The Atlas one is a cotter pin and a nut and then it's apart. The Leatt's is good as well, but the brace itself is not as easily removed with the patient laying in the dirt. With the one you showed, it's going to get cut or be a real pain to get off while maintaining good spinal control, even in the emergency room since it is all one piece.

I'm not trying to be a know it all here, but considering my job (army medic, with a whole slew of courses behind me, a combat tour etc.) it's an interest of mine. I've taken the paramedics we have at the track and shown them how all the braces worked, and practiced getting them off of a downed rider, since it's not something they would see outside of the track environment.

MX is the best sport out there, but safety is #1 priority as it is a pretty risky activity, so I'm glad to see you're taking interest in protecting your little dude.

My wife works in paediatric medicine , thankyou for researching and getting the product that fits your kid best. So many activities that are awesome and fun are so much safer when mom and dad put some effort into good gear.

This brace appears to not have a quick release system (not that I saw in that add at least).
The normal Leatt braces, A* and Atlas all have quick release mechanisms designed to help the medics remove the brace in the event they need to do so without moving the spine. The Atlas one is a cotter pin and a nut and then it's apart. The Leatt's is good as well, but the brace itself is not as easily removed with the patient laying in the dirt. With the one you showed, it's going to get cut or be a real pain to get off while maintaining good spinal control, even in the emergency room since it is all one piece.

I'm not trying to be a know it all here, but considering my job (army medic, with a whole slew of courses behind me, a combat tour etc.) it's an interest of mine. I've taken the paramedics we have at the track and shown them how all the braces worked, and practiced getting them off of a downed rider, since it's not something they would see outside of the track environment.

MX is the best sport out there, but safety is #1 priority as it is a pretty risky activity, so I'm glad to see you're taking interest in protecting your little dude.

That seems to be right with this one, and I appreciate your feedback and did try that atlas and loved it, but like I said, if they were not doing the job by sitting right then he might as wear nothing, so even though this may have to be cut if something happened at least he would be protected the best he could.

Apparently, all the advise you get seems to fall on def ears.

So you say! I absorb all the info people give me here... i may not always agree with it, but I have no idea why you think otherwise?

My wife works in paediatric medicine , thankyou for researching and getting the product that fits your kid best. So many activities that are awesome and fun are so much safer when mom and dad put some effort into good gear.

This is his first year and things are going to happen..he is a daredevil type kid and a small kid, so it is my job to make sure he is 100% protected... even if that means large money in gear.

Back
Top Bottom