Small cruiser = Big/medium standard/sport touring. What gives? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Small cruiser = Big/medium standard/sport touring. What gives?

drumstyx

My Vulcan 900 is getting me nice big fat quotes, even though it's only got ~50HP and ~50ftlb of torque. I can get that much power from a much smaller sport bike, and insurance is about the same on a Concours 1000, with over 100hp!!

What gives? I'd think a cruiser would implicate the most sedate of riding style.

DGI just quoted me $6500. SIX GRAND!! I'm with Intact right now, at just over $3000.

State Farm is well loved for only caring about CC, but what about the opposite? Is there anyone that rates primarily on bike type? Because really, this bike is not much more powerful than my previous GS400.

Not really. I have a Road Star 1700 as the agents have said to me, yes it is not as powerful as a sport bike but because of their size they tend to cause a LOT more damage when they hit something plus the rides seem to get more injuries. I guess they figure if you crash your sport bike at 200K they aren't paying out as much then if I crash my cruiser at 80K..lol

Edited out last sentence realized it was someone else.

Any claims or convictions??

My best price was with TDMM

Last edited:
TD MM quoted me I think $3700, and that's with higher deductibles and with an employer 'discount'.

Car accident in 2008 (I don't even enter it on the site because it only asks about motorcycle accidents) and a speeding ticket (10 over); conviction was March 2014. Even without that, it's pretty darn high.

Ontario, the gouging province. Try to get insured by a place in Montreal, I know a few people with skylines did that because the price of premiums on a RHD car (that only cost 8-10k and was over 15 years old) was around 10k/year.

Sad that our province doesn't have government run insurance. ICBC may be a ***** but their premiums aren't ridiculously marked up.

TD primmum quoted me 3000 for a 1250 cc harley..i have been making lot of calls, getiing quotes and searching online, i guess a policy less than 3000 for a cruiser does not exist.

Did you call tdmm? or just do online? Online quotes are wrong more often then not. It takes 5 minutes to call, but usually the savings are well worth it. My online quote was about 200 higher than actual policy.

TD MM quoted me I think $3700, and that's with higher deductibles and with an employer 'discount'.

Car accident in 2008 (I don't even enter it on the site because it only asks about motorcycle accidents) and a speeding ticket (10 over); conviction was March 2014. Even without that, it's pretty darn high.

Try Dalton Timmis. They do mostly cruiser insurance. My Vulcan 900 went from $1600 with state farm to less then $400

Try Dalton Timmis. They do mostly cruiser insurance. My Vulcan 900 went from $1600 with state farm to less then $400

Heh, I forgot I'd already been quoting with Dalton Timmis, and now called them again. $3500/year for me. Sigh...here's hoping it gets better next year...

TD primmum quoted me 3000 for a 1250 cc harley..i have been making lot of calls, getiing quotes and searching online, i guess a policy less than 3000 for a cruiser does not exist.

That is because most Harley's are 15+k. A lot of people forget that it's no different then insuring a mid size car when it comes to a value. insurance companies don't just rate on CC's they look at the cost of replacement as well and the cost to repair.

That is because most Harley's are 15+k. A lot of people forget that it's no different then insuring a mid size car when it comes to a value. insurance companies don't just rate on CC's they look at the cost of replacement as well and the cost to repair.

It really isn't particularly relevant when you look at the quote breakdown (only provided when you actually sign up, of course). 70+% of the premium is Accident Benefits; private health insurance essentially.

I had a shadow 1100 with intact, $720/year, goldwing $720/year, now a v strom 1000 $650/year. I also live in the middle of nowhere, population almost 5000. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old are you though?

I'm 41, m2 got quoted $4300 on a gsxr 600 prior to the other bikes I mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy Cow! I consider myself lucky. New Vulcan 1700, $717.00 a year. TD MM

Holy Cow! I consider myself lucky. New Vulcan 1700, $717.00 a year. TD MM

Lol wow, age? What's your discount group with TD MM? That's impressively low anyway, even my dad is paying nearly $2000/year on his Ultra Classic (103 CI, just under 1700cc), of course, that's a premium bike with a depreciation waiver.

Lol wow, age? What's your discount group with TD MM? That's impressively low anyway, even my dad is paying nearly $2000/year on his Ultra Classic (103 CI, just under 1700cc), of course, that's a premium bike with a depreciation waiver.

45yo, clean record, both cars and house with TD MM as well, wife is a nurse, so that also accounts for some discount. Oh, and we live out in the sticks now, not in T.O.

Back
Top Bottom