Some Questions Regarding 848 evo | GTAMotorcycle.com

Some Questions Regarding 848 evo

nousername

Hi guys. just bought a 848 evo last week.I have some questions.
1)How much are you guys getting from a full tank before the light comes on.(Mileage)?
I filled up 9.8 ltrs and i got about 147.9 km before the light came on... the light was on before i filled up that 9.8 ltrs.The bike has about 200km on the odo. will the mileage increase after 1000 km break in period.
2)what rpm should i stay at what speed?
i've been riding between 3-4k rpm.i know i can feel when to change gears but is there a specific limit of rpm where i should change gears.
Sorry first bike.Thank you for your advice.
Regards

Last edited:
I'm going to start with the disclaimer that I don't own one but I'll try to help with the questions....

Judging from a power/torque graph I found I'd probably be riding the thing between 6.5-10k RPM. From Fuelly it looks like people are filling them up between 135 and 170 km so 147 sounds about right depending on your riding. Most bikes do improve in fuel economy after they are broken in.

For cruising you should be near the lowest RPM where you're not lugging the engine unless you want to have the power right on tap without downshifting, in which case stay a little higher. For accelerating/spirited riding you're going to want to stay near the higher end of the power band.

Gotta say, brave choice for a first bike for someone that appears to know nothing about bikes (or even how to properly keep any manual vehicle in the power band)... Awesome bike, though!

Last edited:
Hi guys. just bought a 848 evo last week.I have some questions.
1)How much are you guys getting from a full tank before the light comes on.(Mileage)?
I filled up 9.8 ltrs and i got about 147.9 km before the light came on... the light was on before i filled up that 9.8 ltrs.The bike has about 200km on the odo. will the mileage increase after 1000 km break in period.
2)what rpm should i stay at what speed?
i've been riding between 3-4k rpm.i know i can feel when to change gears but is there a specific limit of rpm where i should change gears.
Sorry first bike.Thank you for your advice.
Regards

Nice bike. You're getting 15 km/litre. That's pretty darn good.
Your fuel capacity is 15.5 litres. Your fuel light comes on with 5.7 litres left in the tank. You SHOULD be safe to ride to 200 km and still have a 35km buffer -- depending on how hard you're banging the throttle, if you're in city or straight highway etc.

2) As for RPM - some people say "ride it like you stole it" others "do the proper break in". Personally I do the proper break in as per manual. Keep the RPM moving up and down to help seat the valves etc.

Given that the original poster appears to be a new rider (from what we've been told ... not sure if serious!) ... they would be well advised to keep the revs low, out of the powerband, until they get used to the bike. 3000 - 4000 rpm is fine.

Eventually, the revs will have to be varied depending on how much power the rider wants at a given time, but the original poster is not there yet.

I'm going to start with the disclaimer that I don't own one but I'll try to help with the questions....

Judging from a power/torque graph I found I'd probably be riding the thing between 6.5-10k RPM. From Fuelly it looks like people are filling them up between 135 and 170 km so 147 sounds about right depending on your riding. Most bikes do improve in fuel economy after they are broken in.

For cruising you should be near the lowest RPM where you're not lugging the engine unless you want to have the power right on tap without downshifting, in which case stay a little higher. For accelerating/spirited riding you're going to want to stay near the higher end of the power band.

Gotta say, brave choice for a first bike for someone that appears to know nothing about bikes (or even how to properly keep any manual vehicle in the power band)... Awesome bike, though!
Thanks. i asked about rpm because i drive a 5 speed Mazda 3 gt ..in car i change gear normally between 2-2.5 rpm and on the bike it feels different.

Given that the original poster appears to be a new rider (from what we've been told ... not sure if serious!) ... they would be well advised to keep the revs low, out of the powerband, until they get used to the bike. 3000 - 4000 rpm is fine.

Eventually, the revs will have to be varied depending on how much power the rider wants at a given time, but the original poster is not there yet.
All advise taken.This is my first bike in canada. i had a 500 cc back home for about 5 yrs.

Shell Gold if you don't want your gas tank to swell. 95 refers to the European gas. Is this your 1st bike? on my 1098, on easy riding I shifted around 6,000rpm and got around 135km before the fuel light came on; small tanks.

Also the manual says 95 for gas. should i get shell's 91 or esso's supreme+ ?

The RPM range of the motorcycle compared to a car is completely different. Is the concern consumption or range? If you want to use less fuel, think of something else. Like a Vespa or something.

It's not a very large fuel tank so, if you are getting 150 to 200 kms, from a sport bike, you are doing good. Don't expect much more after break in.

Why? Cause the more you ride, the more you'll want to ride it faster. lol.

Anyways, Nice bike. Have fun. Get a Prius if energy conservation is on your mind. Then rip it up with the Duc after.

Cheers.

Thanks. i asked about rpm because i drive a 5 speed Mazda 3 gt ..in car i change gear normally between 2-2.5 rpm and on the bike it feels different.

Pretty sure you're shifting too early in that car, too, unless you're just cruising gently on the highway. That's like what I used to shift at in my diesel.

Also the manual says 95 for gas. should i get shell's 91 or esso's supreme+ ?

95 what? Fuel is measured differently around the world. It could mean one of three things:

Research Octane Number (RON)
Motor Octane Number (MON)
Anti-Knock Index (AKI or PON)

In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Pump Octane Number (PON).

(source: Wikipedia)

These are beautiful bikes, but it seems like riders would be at the gas station quite often. Are we saying 848 riders can't even get 200 kms per tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

140 kms per tank? lol guess Ducatis ARE made for posing rather then actually riding.\

HOOLLLAAAA

Shifting a mazda 3 GT at 2- 2.5K RPMs is not the right way to shift...you are bogging the engine on 6th going 60 kmph...even the turbo will not kick in and you WILL be dangerously slow merging in traffic....

3-3.5K is optimum...higher still for spirited driving

...I know this is a motorcycle forum!

As others have said, keep the revs low-mid. I would advise not using the higher range until you really know the bike. Reasoning is due to the absurd amount of engine braking at higher revs when you drop the throttle; it pretty much acts as a rear brake. If you freak out mid corner and chop the throttle, we'll be seeing you on the news =(

Ride safe!

Back
Top Bottom