Trailer security | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer security

174Racing

I wasn't sure where this topic fit in best, but figured its us track guys that deal with trailers the most so I thought it would be most relevant here.

What do you folks use to secure your trailers? I'm talking about locks that prevent someone hooking up and leaving with your trailer! I've used pintle hitch locks at work but never had anything to do with ball hitch locks. Can someone recommend a brand they like or use and where did you get it?

I thought about removing a tire but then all someone needs is a tire and a handful of nuts and off they go... besides it would be a pain to jack and install/remove a tire every time I want to move it.

The boots have a certain NYC appeal and look pretty serious, but again... can you recommend and refer? (Does anyone other that NYC parking authority actually use these??)

Hopefully not too many people just leave their trailers and hope for the best!

I use a pin lock for the hitch portion and a locking ball mount coupler. A few use the one that goes through the tire which is ideal too, but it must go through part of the part to be useful.

I use a boot, a lock on the hitch and a chain to a big tree and still have my trailer but attempts have been made on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I use a boot, a lock on the hitch and a chain to a big tree and still have my trailer but attempts have been made on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If there was the slightest knowledge of an attempt id ramp up my security to max to ensure it stays where it is ..

I have a ****** trailer so no one cares for it

I have one of those locks if anyone needs it. Does not fit a 2 5/16 ball trailer hitch very well but would be good for smaller balls (haha).

If it is an enclosed trailer, paint the plate number on the roof, so that it can be identified by air. Trailers have been located that way. It is after the fact, but hey better late than never. :D

I use a pin lock, ball lock and a wheel boot. I'm not taking any risks, I can't afford to replace the contents so a little prevention helps me sleep.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I ended up getting a lock that covers the front and sides of the hitch, and added a pin lock through the top for good measure.

Rabid dogs and robocop are on back order!

I bought a brand new enclosed trailer this winter and now have it fully insured with its own policy for only $130/year. Fire, theft, collison, vandalism, liability, etc. Do your research before assuming your trailer is covered under your automobile or house insurance. In many instances its not.

No. The bike is not covered.

If I had my riding lawn mower in the trailer it would be covered though under the house insurance....I don't get it either.

Does that also cover contents? Would they cover the bike as well???

I inquired with my insurance broker about getting contents insurance and for an additional $40 a year I get $2000 of contents covered.

James Brown insurance will be insuring my race bikes for fire/theft/vandalism. The policy is $600 a year and that coveres a value up to $30,000 which is their minimum policy.

Last edited:
Makes sure you qualify the "Contents" I was broken into and my insurance said the genny wasn't covered becasue it was not on the "List"
Didn't know I needed a list. Now they have a list and a video. REALLY read the fine print and get them that list!

Makes sure you qualify the "Contents" I was broken into and my insurance said the genny wasn't covered becasue it was not on the "List"
Didn't know I needed a list. Now they have a list and a video. REALLY read the fine print and get them that list!

Excellent point John and I will definitely enquire about that. I just said it was for tools but before I buy the policy I'll make sure that my generator and BICKLE warmers are covered on there too :).

Wow. Thanks. I looked into this a few years back and as soon as they found out it was an unplated m/c they wouldn't cover it. Everything else is though, and listed specifically on the policy.

State Farm

Back
Top Bottom