Silence isnt Safer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Silence isnt Safer

the point people are missing is that it actually is safer. its not just a saying..

im sure theres lots of people that justify their excessively loud rude annoying bikes by saying that they are like that to save lives..
yeah, ok.. But yes, its true. its loud, it gets attention, it makes people maybe LOOOOOK for you. If a Little Kid doesnt bolt from inbtween a few car,
becasue he hears my bike rumbling down the street, then thats good

I agree there are people with extremely loud and annoying muffler systems. Mostly Honda Civics are to blame and some loud cruisers..but lets not forget about the sportbike crew.. you guys are guilty too..

can Loud Pipes save lives..? yeah. people can hear you, any advantage is an advantage
Can Silent pipes save lives ? who cares, its not safer by any means, its actually unsafe.

Should there be a Limit.. Yup. whatever the limit is, i hope its common sense/ reasonable level

the point people are missing is that it actually is safer. its not just a saying..

im sure theres lots of people that justify their excessively loud rude annoying bikes by saying that they are like that to save lives..
yeah, ok.. But yes, its true. its loud, it gets attention, it makes people maybe LOOOOOK for you. If a Little Kid doesnt bolt from inbtween a few car,
becasue he hears my bike rumbling down the street, then thats good

I agree there are people with extremely loud and annoying muffler systems. Mostly Honda Civics are to blame and some loud cruisers..but lets not forget about the sportbike crew.. you guys are guilty too..

can Loud Pipes save lives..? yeah. people can hear you, any advantage is an advantage
Can Silent pipes save lives ? who cares, its not safer by any means, its actually unsafe.

Should there be a Limit.. Yup. whatever the limit is, i hope its common sense/ reasonable level

How do you define reasonable, though? Is it a sound level that 95% of people do not find irritating? 90%? 80%? What do you think the principle is behind the current noise emission regulations that apply to your bike as it was manufactured?

I'm not trying to defend the quietness of modern motorcycles, I just don't think it's necessary to justify louder exhaust in the name of "safety"

Sorry man, that ship has already sailed. Too many people running straight exhausts is the reason for the increasing number of noise by-laws that will soon enough be provincial in scope. I hate loud pipes myself.

Bringing up children is weak because protecting the children is the first thing the government says when they want to take rights and freedoms away from people.

Drive slower in residential neighbourhoods. Children aren't in the practice of running into the middle of major thoroughfares or the highway. They would be more at risk from all manners of 4-wheeled vehicles than bikes.

I read a little bit of the OP first post. I haven't read any of the thread because its a trolling thread and overall just BS. All subjective and a waste of my reading time. Sorry, not trying to be a hater here.

My contribution is
erudy3a6.jpg

How do you define reasonable, though? Is it a sound level that 95% of people do not find irritating? 90%? 80%? What do you think the principle is behind the current noise emission regulations that apply to your bike as it was manufactured?

I'm not trying to defend the quietness of modern motorcycles, I just don't think it's necessary to justify louder exhaust in the name of "safety"

well, I think the regulation should maybe be a certain db level that is considered by dr.s, or whoverer non-hazzardous , or unsafe without proper hearing protection. ( that being said, get charged for operation a machine above a certain db without a permit, kinda thing )

either way, it cant be model specific, some engines are made louder than others, Some machines Sound is their trademark.
you also have to allow for Modifications..

I dont know what the level iks, and i dont care....lol You are right. Its weak to justify your pipes in the name of safety. Ive never said thats why i have loud pipes. I just really like the sound of it. Mine are louder than stock, but not annoyingly loud

regardless of who says it, sadly its true, louder pipes are safer than silent pipes.... maybe sportbike riders should come up with their own thing to justiify something.. like the leather x-men suits knee pucks and race boots. looks cool when you flying down the road, but silly at every red light on Yonge on a friday night

I did not install a loud pipe on my bike. It's old and I am too lazy to re pack it. While a smack across the head would'nt wake up drivers, wild life seems to be aware of me before I exit corners. Lots of elk in "elk county" PA. My pipe might have saved me there.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

Didn't really care about the loud pipe argument until I drove in LA recently. The bikes with loud pipes were infinitely more noticeable when lane splitting, than those without. Being heard before you can be seen definitely makes things a lot safer in that environment.

I've ridden a bicycle for decades and always maintained some kind of visibility in relative silence. So, I'm not buying the argument of loud pipes save lives.

However, I do love a tasty engine note. But, it's a personal choice and I respect my neighbours too. So, I try to keep things in perspective.

I am sure all the neighbours love this turd in the Rustclang
I can't understand this argument as much as I try to be objective I always come back to the same conclusion - it is nothing more than ego feeding. Here's a video I found that will demonstrate my point. Long after being out of site you can still hear the exhaust. While cagers are "looking for you" (like they give a shizzle) what are they missing?

[video=youtube;JqiKQzIG0as]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqiKQzIG0as&feature=youtu.be[/video]

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

/sorry
/hadto

Wearing a hi-vis vest is safer
Having a brighter colored bike is safer
Taking riding courses makes you a safer rider
Having a louder pipe is safer (But also gets negative attention)
Riding on track only vs street is safer
Not riding at all is safer

Overall, if someone were to spend the few hundred bucks to be safer, spend it on a course vs a louder exhaust pipe, they'd likely be much safer. Chances are the rider would fall due to their own inability to navigate a turn.

Louder pipe would be safer to have for drivers around to hear you(assuming they don't have loud music on), but given the many much less inexpensive options, people don't usually get the pipe cause it's safer, but because they like the sound and use safety as the excuse to having an obnoxiously loud pipe so they don't sound like a dick when people ask "why did you get a loud exhaust?".

Last edited:
Silent isn't good, because pedestrians can't hear you. Loud isn't good because the sound tends to echo and annoy.

Stock pipes are the best compromise.

Silent isn't good, because pedestrians can't hear you. Loud isn't good because the sound tends to echo and annoy.

Stock pipes are the best compromise.

But stock sounds so..........plain......lol.

I tried to run my stock exhaust but, couldn't.

If you really want people to notice you by sound. Then get a motorcycle that sounds like an ice-cream truck.

If you really want people to notice you by sound. Then get a motorcycle that sounds like an ice-cream truck.
F***ing brilliant!

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom