Silence isnt Safer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Silence isnt Safer

Sativa Quemador

Do loud pipes save lives ?

its been debated over and over, but look at it from another angle..

is a Silent Bike safer ?

I have heard the argument that an abrupt, loud, crack of the throttle can startle other drivers and cause them to break attention for that split second, putting you in possible danger.

I still find my Vance and Hines Cruzers give me a (false?) sense of security, especially when I have to enter somebody's blind spot.

Last edited:
It's definitely more about your head and wrist contributing to safety than level of noise coming out of your pipes, I know that much.

Your bike is already legally required to be equipped with a noisemaking device, activated by your left thumb

If you feel the need to draw attention to yourself, then loud pipes may stop your ego deflation issues. I always remember a biker buddy in the process of receiving 4 or 5 tickets in one stop - the officer said to the second one on the scene - "first I heard him, then I saw him". Lesson learned, not heard can also mean not seen if you're lucky.

There was one point where I was rounding the corner at around 7-10k RPM and a cop with a radar gun was ready pointing at me.

My bike is a bit loud for my taste, but I just love a shorty Akra

If youre comparing a motorcycle exhaust to an ebike than yes but if not it should be loud enough from factory especially in high rpm

If youre comparing a motorcycle exhaust to an ebike than yes but if not it should be loud enough from factory especially in high rpm

Not if you ride a FZ6R like me. LOL my farts can startle other drivers more than the stock exhaust system

Not if you ride a FZ6R like me. LOL my farts can startle other drivers more than the stock exhaust system

hahaha! ya i put a Two bro's on my ninja 650 because it kinda had the same sound. People definitely hear me now

No I couldn't hear a biker cruising my blindspot last summer. He had a 2bros on too. My windows were rolled up and music/subs were on.

No I couldn't hear a biker cruising my blindspot last summer. He had a 2bros on too. My windows were rolled up and music/subs were on.

Should NEVER cruise on anybody's blindspot. That's an ouchy waiting to happen.

the point i was making was that any kind of noise that increases the liklihood of you being heard is safer than not being heard.

I also think they should limit it. i Know what I like and I know what I dont. Theres a Pleasent tone of loud, and theres an annoying, painfull sharp loud.

im not sure of the law, and i dont really care, all i say is that louder is safer than quiet. its silly to insist its not.

Well then put me down in the silly category. The problem is what may sound pleasant to some is obnoxious to others and this is what lead to all the noise by-laws being created.

BTW, on more than one occasion my stealthy quiet ST has saved me from a ticket. That's because before the officer heard me and pointed his handheld radar at me, I had already scrubbed off more than 15 kph. My previous bike on the other hand, a GS1150 with Wolf pipes, could be heard from distances great enough that my arrival was announced long before I was in radar range. That was the partial reason I received my last performance award over 10 years ago.

Quieter can be an advantage.

The problem is what may sound pleasant to some is obnoxious to others and this is what lead to all the noise by-laws being created.

This is why since I work midnights I start up and idle away down my street and let it warm up at the park. My neighbors appreciate it even though my bike isn't all that loud. Areas with race tracks definitely make a lot of noise and while I love going to them I can understand why people dislike hearing it all the time.

Well then put me down in the silly category. The problem is what may sound pleasant to some is obnoxious to others and this is what lead to all the noise by-laws being created.

BTW, on more than one occasion my stealthy quiet ST has saved me from a ticket. That's because before the officer heard me and pointed his handheld radar at me, I had already scrubbed off more than 15 kph. My previous bike on the other hand, a GS1150 with Wolf pipes, could be heard from distances great enough that my arrival was announced long before I was in radar range. That was the partial reason I received my last performance award over 10 years ago.

Quieter can be an advantage.

you just validated my point, that your Motorcycles noise alerts people to your presence. people that cant see you yet know you are around, not just people in vehicles, but pedestrians as well. if you can be heard, you are better off for it. it is definately safer to be heard than to NOT be heard.

I can't understand this argument as much as I try to be objective I always come back to the same conclusion - it is nothing more than ego feeding. Here's a video I found that will demonstrate my point. Long after being out of site you can still hear the exhaust. While cagers are "looking for you" (like they give a shizzle) what are they missing?

[video=youtube;JqiKQzIG0as]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqiKQzIG0as&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back
Top Bottom