Thinking of Replacing the Cruiser - Any Suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of Replacing the Cruiser - Any Suggestions?

TF3N

I've only ever ridden cruisers, thinking of switching to something a little sportier.

Originally, I was thinking Kawasaki ZRX1200 - after contacting insurance, it's no longer a contender. I'm leaning more towards a Honda 919 (CB900F, Hornet, whatever). Insurance is about par with what I'm currently paying.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Criteria:
  • Less than 1000cc
  • Upright/standard riding position
  • Suitable for larger rider - 6'2, 220lbs, 36" inseam (Ducati Monster 600, for example, feels too small)
  • "Classic" naked styling. Round headlight, preferably. I'm not a fan of newer naked bikes with the crazy headlights (styling is important to me, I'm ready to be flamed for it)
  • $5000 MAX budget ($4000 is ideal)

I'm just interested to see if there's anything out there I've missed while searching. Any suggestions are appreciated.

ZRX+1200+DAEG+by+Nojima+02.jpg

3915098395_5157d87348_o.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
I test rode the cb919 a few years ago and loved it. If I was in the market for a naked bike, it would probably be the bike I would buy.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Just a thought, but does it need to be as close to 1000 cc as possible, or are you open to a 600cc ? I say this as someone who made the jump from cruisers to sport touring/standard bikes a few years ago. I found that my 600 bandit was a good step up in performance from my 1100cc Virago, and I saved quite a bit on insurance vs a larger engine. The cb599 was almost the same physical size/ergonomics as the 919, but you'll save on insurance. The 599 came in matte black one year and was really good looking. I wanted a bike with wind protection and that would look good with givi cases, so I went with the bandit. The cb599 would have been a serious consideration if I'd wanted a naked bike.

When I went from the 1100cc Virago to the 600cc bandit, my insurance dropped significantly and I gained a lot of performance in comparison.

are you open to a 600cc?

Yeah, for sure. Raw power isn't all that important to me. The size of the bike is, though.

ex. I've been on a ZX6R & Monster 600 - both were too small for my liking.

I don't want the bike to look/feel tiny, like below:
788px-Motorcycle.riders.arp.jpg

Last edited:
It has more to do with the individual bikes than the class of bike. For instance most bikes in this class are approximately 31-32" seat height. Basically no difference in proportion between bandit 600 and the 1200 for instance. The xx6 probably feels cramped because it's a ss bike, performance is all that matters, comfort is barely an after thought. Cb 599 and 919 are probably very similar in physical size. I'm not saying don't get a 919 if that's what you want, I'm just saying it's worth a look. Most naked standard bikes tend to look smaller than they are because they are naked. Park a cb919 next to a cbf1000 (basically different generation of the same bike) and the cbf1000 looks bigger because of the fairing.

Hmmm... R1200R / RnineT ( even tho it's > 1000 cc I imagine the insurance to be resonable), Bonneville or VFR800?

Hmmm... R1200R / RnineT ( even tho it's > 1000 cc I imagine the insurance to be resonable), Bonneville or VFR800?

All of those are way too expensive and the VFR800 isn't the right type of bike for me.

919 is a great bike, more then enough power for anything and it pulls no matter what gear your in.

I had one for a few years, never let me down, rock solid bike.

A real question to ask is what are your intentions with a new bike? Just for day rides or zipping around town? Or are you looking to some touring as well?

All of those are way too expensive and the VFR800 isn't the right type of bike for me.

Sorry I didn't see this as a requirement :p but that said I was looking at some older R1200R in the 5k range before picking up my current bike. You could always "modify" a bike that you like the great thing about nakeds are that they can be built a lot easier than the faired bikes.

B-King is interesting, never heard of it before - I'll have to read up on that.

VMax is out. The whole reason I'm looking at switching is for more sporting handling. Also, the insurance on a VMax is prohibitive.

Sorry I didn't see this as a requirement :p but that said I was looking at some older R1200R in the 5k range before picking up my current bike. You could always "modify" a bike that you like the great thing about nakeds are that they can be built a lot easier than the faired bikes.

Right now I'm just looking for a bike to buy and ride, minimal wrenching.

I may be looking into a custom build over the winter, we'll see.

Vmax is a good one. I'm biased but i'd go with a first gen fz1 01-05. Cheap to buy now and cheap to put a single round eye on. Being 998 cc and sport touring makes them cheap to insure. A few tweaks and for 4-5g's (including bike price) you will have a 140hp incredibly reliable bike.

save up a few more pennies and buy my F800. Its great for taller riders, cheap on insurance, and an absolute hoot to ride.

No doubt it would be a great bike, but I have no shame in admitting styling is important to me on this one.

Not a big fan of the "boy racer" look that goes along with full fairing sport bikes, much prefer more of a timeless look :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom