What basics are you wearing to go for a ride? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What basics are you wearing to go for a ride?

These are the boots I have and love em.

I have a joe rocket textile jacket and pants, aria helmet, and two pairs of gloves, one insulated for cooler day and then some summer ones.

How did you crash?
I am concerned as I started riding last year and had a bad fall in october it was the day with o degrees and 80 kms winds. I could not avoid riding as I was going for my m2 that day. I slipped on wet leaves and locked up the front wheel ( new rider woes) anyway I just had jeans on and took it all on my left knee it was swelled like a watermelon and I am still rehabbing it as its still tender due to my age.
Needless to say I now have proper riding pants with the knee and thigh pads and bought the Alpinestars SMX-6 boots. Also I got my m2 lol.

1600 km in 36 hours finding spring on the weekend. SLab and twists ( not riding them hard )
Here's the gear.

at 9 degrees leaving
Icon HiViz yellow jacket for warmth and visibility at 6 am.
Joe Rocket mesh jacket
JR liner ( warmth )
technical shirt with big pockets - camera etc - polyester
long sleeve technical shirt ( Nike etc - polyester as a base layer for warmth )

Boots
long socks
Light riding pants
Polyester long underwear
Knee armor over it the underwear - under the riding pants.
Convertible helmet up a lot of the time
Clear safety glasses for night and dim days and as a second rain layer if the visor gets too hard to see.
Armored gauntlets for warmth ( I have heated grips otherwise would be inadequate )
Heavy neck warmer - chest warmer - sort of a balaclava without the top but long bibs front and back
-33 db ear plugs...a critical bit as noise is super fatiguing.

At 33 degrees 6 hours later in Renovo PA
.. down to technical shirt and mesh jacket so cool enough.
Mesh offroad gloves with armored knuckles
Convertible helmet ( tho next time I take the 3/4 as it's quieter and cooler)

If you are going to ride distance in variable weather layering is important.
Dehydrating from heat is very dangerous.
It's one reason I choose mesh as the main gear. ( I have mesh riding pants as well but they were in getting a repair ).
The gear you choose early can extend your riding season out to 8-9 months with layering.
For warmth and visibility in rain get something very bright.
2009-Icon-PDX-Rain-Jacket-Hi-Visibility-Yellow634098727793968261_detail.jpg

I find armored shirts and knee protection as separate pieces better than most jacket armor as it stays in place.

So even with that range of temps ( and some rain ) I was comfortable with decent armor.
Above 35 or so armored shirts alone are fine. Even the mesh is too hot then.

In case some of your are unaware of separate armor. This looks bulky and heavy - it's not.

Impact_Rig_SE_Black_detail.jpg

there are tons of variations on knee armor.
Even if I wear lighter riding pants the knee armor is comfortable and invisible and saved my knee on off orad spills

Zeus_knees_front_L.jpg

For new riders.....if you can figure a way to come along on a PA ride....you'll really see what it's all about.
Motorcycle heaven is 4 hours away.

In case some of your are unaware of separate armor. This looks bulky and heavy - it's not.

Impact_Rig_SE_Black_detail.jpg

there are tons of variations on knee armor.
Even if I wear lighter riding pants the knee armor is comfortable and invisible and saved my knee on off orad spills.

Any advice on under armors? I've got a solid leather jacket, thick build, but without built in armor. Am considering a set of under instead of a full new jacket.

Any advice on under armors? I've got a solid leather jacket, thick build, but without built in armor. Am considering a set of under instead of a full new jacket.

I would recommend it. I have a decent textile jacket with (cheap) pads built in, but its a lot nicer to take them out and wear just the jacket over my armour. Even last weekend it was hot enough for me to try riding with just the armour by itself, and it's really nice. It will give you about the same protection as a mesh jacket: impact and some abrasion where the pads are, nothing everywhere else.

I got mine at GP Bikes. They have a bunch of different sets you can try on, but I went with the ICON Stryker Rig. Very happy with it!

http://gpbikes.com/icon-stryker-rig.html

Don't go too overkill, you want to make sure you buy gear that you'll realistically wear, the best gear won't help if you leave it at home. I went with an alpinestars waterproof textile and some armoured/kevlared jeans, seem to be a good balance between on bike safety and off bike comfort for me. You need to figure what is a good balance for you

When I first started out:

Helmet, regular jeans, motorcycle gloves, motorcycle SHOES (not boots), and a textile jacket.

Now...

Helmet, textile pants or kevlar jeans, leather jacket, handroid gloves, and sidi boots. I occasionally wear a Forcefield Pro Shirt underneath my jacket if I am planning to ride at a spirited pace through twisties.

I have seen a few crashes last year...my gear saved a friend of mine from any damage, another one was not so lucky due to wearing regular jeans....

I am beginning to see the benefits of all weather mutiple gear..
...op stick to what you can afford...buy the best, buy once..

a good leather jacket, pants, a textile jacket and kevlar pants... one good pair of boots to complement both and 1 helmet and a good pair of gloves...build you gear as you build your tool chest...

So some time has gone by & i have stuck to the MC jacket MC gloves the boots i am slacking on i am wearing leather hi tops laced up. This weekend the weather seems to have hit full blown summer hot & i am very tempted to ditch the jacket! but wont going to look into a mesh jacket mine is textile & was hot over my weekend riding,I am loving riding my new to me, small bike so far so good.
Seems about 50 50 T-shirts to jackets i seen over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom