What basics are you wearing to go for a ride? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What basics are you wearing to go for a ride?

Nothing beats the feeling of riding at highway speeds in shorts and a t-shirt.

All that's legally required is for you to have a helmet that meets the HTA helmet safety standard. As for the jacket, gloves, boots and pants, it's up to how much you care about your skin and safety.

The least I'd wear for a ride, no matter the distance, is a helmet, gloves, textile jacket, denim jeans and ankle high leather boots.

If I'm just going out for a really quick ride, helmet/Jacket and gloves (always). If I suit up to go for an actual ride, my setup is :Icon Variant, Text/leather Jacket, Joe Rocket leather pants, Aplinestar MX boots (ride an SM), and gauntlet gloves. I've fallen with gear last year doing a good 60 km/h and not a scratch at all. I've also fallen without gear on my dirtbike putting around in second gear, still got a scar on my leg to prove it ;).

Street/commute/scoot around on the left;
Held Lennox jacket, Draggin' Jeans (not pictured), Gaerne Balance boots.

Proper riding on right;
JR GPX 2 piece suit, Sidi Vertibra boots

Shared; Bell Star helmet, JR GPX gloves

For very cold or very wet days (not that I will usually ride in either) I still have my old textile suit with liners... but my neighbour borrowed it for his M2 course.

IMG_1813_zpscb9af6c7.jpg

Last edited:
after seeing a couple youtube videos of knee injuries after a crash I swore to wear my knee pads at all times, and thankfully was wearing them during my first crash, landed on my knee, and thought nothing of it

Last edited:
Helmet, textile jacket, gloves, kevlar jeans with knee pads insides, riding shoes.

Next investment is a full leather suit with proper boots and gauntlet gloves. And a separate leather jacket.

Riding aint cheap by any means lol but hey, better safe than road crayon or something lol.

ProTip: Don't ever ride squid. After the first time you do it, even if you lose some skin you'll wanna do it again. Speaking from experience here.

On topic: Alpinestars SMX-Plus, kevlar jeans, perforated leather or well-armoured mesh jacket, short gloves on the commute. Same boots, leather pants, leather jacket, gauntlets and forcefield armour on tours/highways

People will tell you a race boot or track oriented boot is no use on the street, my perfectly intact ankle that was dragged and rolled under my bike during a 30km/h lowside would disagree. On the back of the SMX-Plus at the ankle/heel you'll see a big plastic hinged mechanism, that's there to prevent the leather boot from flexing under stress. It's not found on the SMX-5 which will bend 180* at the ankle.

Last edited:
I always wear my full face helmet, leather armored jacket, and gauntlet gloves. When riding to/from work, or running errands I'm in a pair of adidas hiking boots and jeans. when out for a nice ride I'll swap the adidas boots for my Sidi Vortice boots, and when I'm going on spirited rides I keep the Sidi's and swap the jeans and leather jacket for my 1pc suit

I basically have two levels: "Minimum" and "Regular"

"Minimum" is for rides in the neighborhood to warm up the oil or chain before servicing or to ride 800m to the grocery store. ...
"Regular" is for all other times.

Minimum: helmet, gloves, long pants, t-shirt or long-sleeve shirt, runners (never sandals)

Regular: helmet, gloves, riding pants, jacket (w/armour), back-protector, ear plugs, riding boots, hi-viz vest (or hi-viz Fogg Toggs if raining)

For my daily commute:
-full face helmet
-textile jacket (switch between a touring one and a partial mesh one after it gets hot)
-gauntlet type gloves
-velocity khakis
-Gaerne Balance boots

Track is a different matter entirely.

I like my skin and after almost 2 decades of riding I have seen enough post crash scenes that I always gear up no matter what. Some images I wish I could forget :(

i never ride without some underwear on.

other than that, helmet, bike jacket, kevlar jeans, boots, gloves. Kinda the standard stuff.

Being new, I can't say I have a lot of experience. BUT - Full face SHoei rf1200, Joe Rocket armoured leather jacket and leather pants, SP-2 gauntlet alpinestars gloves, and smx6 alpinestarts boots. I have kids at home and I plan on seeing them everyday! I also like my skin and Im going to keep it. Just my 2 cents - but you should gear up for the crash......Just sayin'

Also, just to put things in perspective, a pair of running shoes or 'nice' shoes will easily be $120+. You can buy almost any armored street shoe for that price. A bit more and you got a boot for some real protection.
That made my decision to get street bike shoes very easy

going to work/commuting somewhere: Leather jacket, full length gloves, armoured jeans and Puma full length street boots (no sliders)

fun ride: Dainese 2 piece leathers, full length gloves, Axial Pro In boots

after seeing a couple youtube videos of knee injuries after a crash I swore to wear my knee pads at all times, and thankfully was wearing them during my first crash, landed on my knee, and thought nothing of it

as much as going down sucks, that's the best feeling to have after you do...

knowing you're perfectly fine thanks to your gear only having the bike to worry about.

Last edited:
Also, just to put things in perspective, a pair of running shoes or 'nice' shoes will easily be $120+. You can buy almost any armored street shoe for that price. A bit more and you got a boot for some real protection.
That made my decision to get street bike shoes very easy

Stop making sense on a public forum. This is gtam. Home of the holla holla and people getting bored of super sport power after a week in cold chappy conditions. Wife beater shorts and sandals it is yo!

Your reply is actually one of the best yet in this thread. For the cost of even something like the Joe rocket boots or any similar style hiking like boot you're offered decent protection compared to none.

Minimum helmet, jacket, gloves. Any chance of spirited riding I'm wearing full leathers and boots along with the minimum already stated.

Back
Top Bottom