What basics are you wearing to go for a ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What basics are you wearing to go for a ride?

John R

So i just got a bike a couple weeks ago got my M1 doing my M2 this weekend. So my question is what would you wear as a new rider to just go out for a quick ride?

Do you wear motorcycle specific stuff like jacket, gloves, boots? & helmet of course. So far i got a helmet & gloves i do have a gore tex jacket & over the ankle hiking boots both non motorcycle specific. Should i get a motorcycle specific jacket,boots & anything else to be more comfortable/safer?

Cheers

For the course you don't need anything special.... I went to Sheridan for my m2...They allow either leather or denim jackets.... Work gloves and safety boots are also permitted.... And they also had spare helmets for the people who hadn't bought one yet..... This stuff is probably not the most comfortable but will get the job done

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Honestly even a textile jacket and boots are a given. After crashing for the first time in 20 years I can tell you that jacket saved me huge. Don't think I'd be here if I wasn't wearing it. Boots don't need to be crazy track boots. I picked up a pair of alpinestars smx 2s and love them. They're not crazy expensive either

5e3evy6y.jpg

For the course your Goretex jacket will not be enough. If you already have a (non fashion) leather or denim jacket you'll be fine. A cheap rain jacket/pants from CT if it rains is handy. Some dollar store rubber gloves over your gloves will work in rain in a pinch as well.

Once your riding on your own, what you wear (above and beyond a helmet) is up to you. Your skin.

Personally I wear as much gear as I can when I go out, ,you cannot plan for an accident. Not to say I haven't taken a quick spin with helmet/gloves tshirt & shorts. It's all about how much you want to risk. When I first started riding I was AGATT to make it a habit.

I find a proper set of motorcycle boots best for when riding. I feel I have better control.
A motorcycle jacket (I favor waterproof textile ones) is much better when riding around than a regular jacket as they are properly vented with at least some armor in them.
I ride in jeans, but prefer to wear a pair that are at least kevlar lined ones. I've seen how quickly jeans rip/wear out in a crash. When out for a whole day/days I have textile riding pants I wear over jeans or shorts.

Honestly even a textile jacket and boots are a given. After crashing for the first time in 20 years I can tell you that jacket saved me huge. Don't think I'd be here if I wasn't wearing it. Boots don't need to be crazy track boots. I picked up a pair of alpinestars smx 2s and love them. They're not crazy expensive either

5e3evy6y.jpg

These are the boots I have and love em.

I have a joe rocket textile jacket and pants, aria helmet, and two pairs of gloves, one insulated for cooler day and then some summer ones.

Last edited:
I always always wear my jacket (textile), gloves, and of course boots (they're not mc boots, but are good leather and cover my ankle) no matter how short/quick the ride is.

I ride a gsxr. So I'm predisposed to wearing armoured flip flops complete with a kevlar tank top.

To the OP. Congratulations on the new bike. New sport new fun. Enjoy every minute of it. As many would say, enjoy your own ride and do not suffer from peer pressure.

I am sure you have red many of the post with regards to your question. What do you think you should wear?

when I commute, helmet, jacket, boots, short cuff gloves, regular pants/jeans.

If I am going out for a spirited ride. all the same but ensure I have on leather jacket, gauntlet gloves and leather overpants.

The whole idea is wear what your comfortable with, if your not comfortable then you are not concentrating on riding. That said start riding wearing gear, if you start out with gear it will feel natural.

Yesterday I saw a guy do a knee down in fashion jeans going DVP ramp south from laurence, and thought thats gonna hurt if you ever make contact.

Last edited:
To the OP. Congratulations on the new bike. New sport new fun. Enjoy every minute of it. As many would say, enjoy your own ride and do not suffer from peer pressure.

I am sure you have red many of the post with regards to your question. What do you think you should wear?

Thank you & thanks for the responses i have read/looked into what others do/wear im thinking my boots are going to be fine for now & as i said i got the lid and gloves i will be getting a MC jacket for sure i think my gore tex coat would shred! I also have rain gear i use for cycling to & from work that should work.
So i think MC stuff will be better then reg stuff 4 things i will be wearing to start is lid mc gloves mc jacket & boots.

Its funny cause when walking around looking at what some of the riders are wearing (some) are wearing the tank tops & flip flops! armored of course!

Thank you & thanks for the responses i have read/looked into what others do/wear im thinking my boots are going to be fine for now & as i said i got the lid and gloves i will be getting a MC jacket for sure i think my gore tex coat would shred! I also have rain gear i use for cycling to & from work that should work.
So i think MC stuff will be better then reg stuff 4 things i will be wearing to start is lid mc gloves mc jacket & boots.

Its funny cause when walking around looking at what some of the riders are wearing (some) are wearing the tank tops & flip flops! armored of course!
Wear whatever you want. I'm assuming you're an adult and capable of making grown up decisions. Just remember tho, it's it's not designed for MC use it's likely useless. Don't think for a second that jeans, hoodies, gortex etc will protect you in the slightest.
I've been on the highway in a tee shirt plenty, but I usually ride with textile jacket and overpants, leather gloves and SMX-5 boots.

You sound very sensible and seem to have everything in hand. My motto is,"I dress for the slide not the ride"

If you start out forcing yourself to wear gear, things will only get better/comfortable as you pick up better gear, or if you ditch the gear.

boots with the slider can be important once you start leaning over, your boot could scrape the ground

Just think about the traffic and road conditions, and what you would want to be wearing if someone hit you.

Here's my setup:

Commuting:
-full face helmet
-Textile armored jacket, or armored leather jacket (depending on weather)
-NO back protector as I'll have a Kriega backpack on (sometimes I still put it on anyways)
-sixsixone soft/hard knee pads (Cover sides) OR a* textile armored pants for rainy days/super cold days
-Sidi full race boots
-Handroid full gauntlets

Spirited Rides
-2 piece leather suit
-back protector
-helmet, gauntlet gloves, race boots

Short trips (eg. grocery shopping)
-helmet, gauntlets
-textile or leather jacket depending on weather
-back protector
-knee pads under pants
-Street armored high tops (TCX)

I have short gloves but I'll never wear them since getting the gauntlets.

I've had two lowsides. The first I was wearing a dress shirt, pants and converse. It all got shredded and so did my skin/joints (wasn't that bad it was slow)

The second time I was mostly geared up, didn't have knee pads or boots but got lucky. Jacket and armor saved my arm, just had a bit of soreness afterwards.

Gauntlet gloves, riding boots, helmet. Jacket if it's not too warm, or if I'm going on a hwy trip.

If you start out forcing yourself to wear gear, things will only get better/comfortable as you pick up better gear, or if you ditch the gear.

Your right going to train myself to have the 4 minimum items on no matter what thats lid mc gloves mc jacket & boots im not planing on going fast at all just keeping up with traffic on smaller roads!A little nervous!!

Your right going to train myself to have the 4 minimum items on no matter what thats lid mc gloves mc jacket & boots im not planing on going fast at all just keeping up with traffic on smaller roads!A little nervous!!

That's good, a little fear keeps you alert and paying attention.

What's really scary is how fast it disappears!

Back
Top Bottom