Thinking of getting married? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of getting married?

I once told a girl I was seeing that if I get her an engagement ring, she has to buy me a new motorcycle. It didn't go over too well...

Agree with them or not, rings hold value and can actually appreciate which makes them a decent investment. It's tangible property that has value. What never made sense to me is the $40, $50, $60K wedding. Do you know what I could do with that kind of money??? I sure as hell wouldn't be spending it on a one day party!!!!

Agree with them or not, rings hold value and can actually appreciate which makes them a decent investment. It's tangible property that has value.

Ever try selling jewelry? I've never gotten a quote for anything close to the cost. Now if you wait a LOT of decades....maybe.

Ever try selling jewelry? I've never gotten a quote for anything close to the cost. Now if you wait a LOT of decades....maybe.
I get it.....you hate jewelry. Loud and clear!
But if you know the right people it's really not that bad at all. I wouldn't ever pay retail - That **** is crazy inflated. But there are ways to pay what it's actually worth.

Exactly.
I have a ring that has never been worn, it's very unique as it's not from North America (unique but very classy).
It's valued at $7000.
Offers so far have been someone's Old laptop and a used Sirius subscription.
$500 and a sob story about how the dude is poor and can't afford a nice ring.

If the right offer comes forward it's gone... If not I'll hold on to it, but I've come to terms with the fact it will be a long wait. I'm not even being greedy.
I've gone in to a few stores, they said they could sell it on consignment, and it would sell for more than I am asking for it. But then they take 50% of what it brings in. No thanks. Essentially, I'm trying to get what I paid for it overseas... The buyer still comes ahead.

Very frustrating experience, I've sold lots of things on Kijiji and nothing has brought forward as many lowlifes, scum, SCAMS and people trying to pull one over on me... However, it's fun to mess with them.

Luckily I didn't sell anything to buy it!

Don't buy engagement rings from jewelry stores. Whatever they "appraise it " at it is maybe worth half. And if you sell it it'll net you about a quarter of the purchase price.

I love my ring but I too am a watch person. I was going to say if he got me a watch I'd be just as happy but in this day and age I think that if I want it I ought to pay for it.

What do you plan on getting? Tinfoil and a piece of broken glass?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I can't tell the difference between sterling silver and white gold, or a real diamond and a fake one. I prefer the what the ring stand for, not what it cost, so I would prefer someone not go broke to buy me a ring.

I can't tell the difference between sterling silver and white gold, or a real diamond and a fake one. I prefer the what the ring stand for, not what it cost, so I would prefer someone not go broke to buy me a ring.

Oh I agree that there is no need to be extremely extravagant. But even a basic "cheap" natural stone and either silver or gold will run more then 200.

Its not exactly what you pay within reason. Its wether you and your girl will like it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That's the point. It should be what it stands for and something you like. It shouldn't be based on 3 months salary. And hopefully $200 isn't 3 months salary for most.

When I informed my parents of my desire to ask my then GF to get married, my mother gave me her mothers engagement ring. worth well more than i can afford, but it was free, so thats cool. hehehe Should we turn this into a wedding band picture thread ?

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks!

Diamonds are such ********.

You're kidding right?

It's a crazy system totally perpetrated by a marketing campaign that we all (not just women) buy into.

I think the ad is fake though. Good sob story to get it sold.
Serious
I once told a girl I was seeing that if I get her an engagement ring, she has to buy me a new motorcycle. It didn't go over too well...

My ex said she would get me something nice. I guess she's compassionate? I believe she said a watch lol

I always joked about getting a new bike over an engagement ring.

Ended up getting the ring and I'm ever so happy that he did that. In the end I won't have a bike forever but the ring will be around. It's something I could also pass down to my children (once I have them)

It's also nice to be able to use the ring year round versus my bike lol

As for cost, I don't know nor do I care to know. I love what I have and that's all that should matter. Buy what you can as it's the thought behind the ring that counts most.

Exactly.
I have a ring that has never been worn, it's very unique as it's not from North America (unique but very classy).
It's valued at $7000.
Offers so far have been someone's Old laptop and a used Sirius subscription.
$500 and a sob story about how the dude is poor and can't afford a nice ring.

If the right offer comes forward it's gone... If not I'll hold on to it, but I've come to terms with the fact it will be a long wait. I'm not even being greedy.
I've gone in to a few stores, they said they could sell it on consignment, and it would sell for more than I am asking for it. But then they take 50% of what it brings in. No thanks. Essentially, I'm trying to get what I paid for it overseas... The buyer still comes ahead.

Very frustrating experience, I've sold lots of things on Kijiji and nothing has brought forward as many lowlifes, scum, SCAMS and people trying to pull one over on me... However, it's fun to mess with them.

Luckily I didn't sell anything to buy it!
The ring I bought is valued at 3 times what I bought it for

Following this logic, your 7k ring is really worth $2300 - Not many people are going to risk it buying a cheap ring from the classifieds or Kijiji or whatever. It also really depends on the cut (it might be a cut most people don't desire) it also depends on the color and quality.

Finding a buyer is hard but possible, but if you put a free add and wait most likely you won't be able to sell it to your average kijiji idiot (I am just speculating)

The ring I bought is valued at 3 times what I bought it for

Following this logic, your 7k ring is really worth $2300 - Not many people are going to risk it buying a cheap ring from the classifieds or Kijiji or whatever. It also really depends on the cut (it might be a cut most people don't desire) it also depends on the color and quality.

Finding a buyer is hard but possible, but if you put a free add and wait most likely you won't be able to sell it to your average kijiji idiot (I am just speculating)
I sure didn't pay $7000 for it. And I sure don't expect to get $7000 for it. However, I'm also not going to let myself get ripped off.
When you can draw a crowd with it at a jewellery store, it's definitely an eye catcher.

I have also looked at an auction house. That leads to being ripped off.
I thought about using eBay, and all that does is leaves me with the possibility of being screwed in the end. So the only safe, guaranteed way is to ensure I have complete control. If it takes time then it takes time.

Last edited:
So wife and I got talking about this, she tells me a story about some girls from work that went and had appraisals done on the rings they had been given then launched big fights with the boyfriends because " W's ring is so much better than Y's, and you told me this was worth 5k and its not!!" ......

Really people? who the hell even dates a girl that thinks like that let alone proposes to her? No wonder family courts are clogged.

My wifes family owned a jewelry store so it would have been noticed if I didn't present a decent bobble.

I never gave my partner a ring. I used the money instead for a down payment on a place. At the time her choice was she could live in an apartment for a bunch of years and a nice ring or she could have no ring but have her own house.

No it's not romantic and yes our relationship has lots of problems, but even more crushing debt isn't helpful. If you're married the spouse's debt is your debt too. So if you go all out buying a polished chunk of tetrahedral carbon you're really passing some of that debt to her. Don't count on your parents to leave you anything, you might be surprised. My dad died and didn't leave me a single penny.

Part of the whole ring thing is a historical artifact anyway. As people stopped giving dowries, if you promised to marry a woman and then slept with her whether or not a child was a result and then did not follow through on your promise to marry she could sue you for damaging her value to potential suitors as she was no longer still in the factory packaging so to speak. But after lawsuits for that also ended, the ring you gave was meant to be equal in value most of the time to the lost income/value as a compensatory tool if you did not keep your promise to marry. She could then sell the ring and retrieve money. The ring was never meant to be given back to you unless it was her who changed her mind. It was a replacement for the end of the lawsuits.

In today's world where the woman votes, has the same education and jobs as a man and lives in a society with sex that occurs outside of marriage, there is no easily measurable damaged value unless you drag her along so many years that she misses the chance to have kids but at that point you're common-law married anyway.

The ring is a historical artifact. People will approve or disapprove on whether or not you give one or what it looks like. You have to decide if you can live with the judgement of other people.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind having a blinging ring on my finger like Johnny Depp.

Hey guys I make jewellery.

Here are some facts

Typically a retail store will mark up a ring 2-3 times its cost. So if you paid 10,000 for something it costs the store 3500-5000

I manufacture and charge labour. A typical engagement ring is takes about 2-15 days to make depending how complex.

So i charge a labor charge of $100-$1500

If you want a ring made pm me and i will save you tons. I made rings for three people in this forum.

I am not a sales person either so you wont hear no BS from me. I will give everything to you straight.

Back
Top Bottom