Thinking of getting married? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of getting married?

what you spend should be representative of what you can afford. In my opinion going into debt isn't the way to start a relationship, but a nice ring isn't a bad thing. Appraised values are so silly its sad, but great for insurance claims. My thinking is if you have to sell a bike or car to purchase a ring , your not in a position to be getting married. Start out resenting a girl for "loose of fun, and being with my buddies" and see how long the marriage lasts. 6k buys a lot of hookers.

I say be glad it only cost him $3k(if he sells the ring for $3k, he's out $3k) to NOT be married. It would cost a lot more to be NOT married later on. Could cost ya your :home:

Average is supposed to be 3 months salary. Anyone that spends that amount is nuts
I spent a lot more than that. Trust me that it was a very good investment and we will leave it at that.

People can only speak for their own situation so telling someone else they are crazy is kind of pointless.

what you spend should be representative of what you can afford. In my opinion going into debt isn't the way to start a relationship, but a nice ring isn't a bad thing. Appraised values are so silly its sad, but great for insurance claims. My thinking is if you have to sell a bike or car to purchase a ring , your not in a position to be getting married. Start out resenting a girl for "loose of fun, and being with my buddies" and see how long the marriage lasts. 6k buys a lot of hookers.
100% agree with everything you said in this post

When I see things like this I often wonder about equality. Aren't women equals now? So why do we have to pony up $6000 for something we mutually want? She's marrying me because she loves me as a person right?

$6000 can sure buy a lot of BJs

I'd rather get a bike then a ring.

and who the F pays that freaking much for a ring??!?!??! that's stupid! anything over $200 is stupid

Yes, but girls like you are pretty rare... my wife doesn't ride, and doesn't have much interest in motorcycles, other than nodding her head to get me to stop talking about them. It's a shame, really, but that's alright.

6 grand for a ring. never gonna happen unless im using 20's for toilet paper.

i dont even give my bike premium gas, why would i buy the wife a 6k ring ? lol

also, any decent chick would say thats too much and bring it back anyways

I'm by nowhere near 'baller' status, but I do have 2 Citizen Ecodrive watches, each worth roughly $800 msrp, I paid less of course.... almost 50% off on each.

I only had 1 at the time, but still... how can I walk around with a watch on my arm that is worth as much as what I'm going to buy my girlfriend an engagement ring for??

My R6, which I definitely do quite enjoy to ride and to look at in my garage, is worth roughly double what I paid for my wife's ring.

Why would I want to look at some piece of crap on my wife's hand for the next 50 years knowing I could have just spent a little more?

People comment on my wife's ring all the time. If that isn't enough to make me feel good, apparently there is some kind of extra bonus percentage for picking it out yourself and surprising her with it, as opposed to her picking it out (If it is a sick ring, and all the girls love it, that is to say...) I have had multiple girls go on and on to me about what a good job I did picking it out. When I hear about people going ring shopping TOGETHER, that is lame.

Either way, this is far from the topic at hand.... I sure as hell didn't sell a bike to buy my wife's ring. In fact, shortly after we got married I upgraded to a brand new bike.

anything over $200 is stupid

What do you plan on getting? Tinfoil and a piece of broken glass?

The seller obviously didn't think it through enough. To propose to someone you should at least know they are ready for that commitment.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Overrated diamond stones all cuz of these marketing people....
Poor seller, i feel bad for him.

When I see things like this I often wonder about equality. Aren't women equals now? So why do we have to pony up $6000 for something we mutually want? She's marrying me because she loves me as a person right?

You're kidding right?

It's a crazy system totally perpetrated by a marketing campaign that we all (not just women) buy into.

I think the ad is fake though. Good sob story to get it sold.

So what's the point of an engagement ring anyways? Other than the jewelry ppl making a living and a shiny bauble that does nothing than pump up ppls egos?

edit****
found this:
In 1938, the diamond cartel De Beers began a marketing campaign that would have a major impact on engagement rings. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the price of diamonds collapsed. At the same time, market research indicated that engagement rings were going out of style with the younger generation. While the first phase of the marketing campaign consisted of market research, the advertising phase began in 1939. One of the first elements of this campaign was to educate the public about the 4 Cs (cut, carats, color, and clarity). In 1947 the slogan, "A Diamond is Forever," was introduced. Ultimately, the De Beers campaign sought to persuade the consumer that an engagement ring is indispensable, and that a diamond is the only acceptable stone for an engagement ring. The campaign was very successful. In 1939 only 10% of engagement rings had diamonds. By 1990, 80% did.

congrats sheeple!!!

Last edited:
LOL...ouch! Selling his bike to buy an engagement ring wasn't the smartest idea.

And I spent over 3 months salary on my wife's engagement ring. I don't regret it. She loves it. I definitely wouldn't have sold a motorcycle to buy one though.

There's someone on this forum that can make any ring design you want for a lot cheaper than the retail stores sell them as well as source great diamonds. We got all our rings done custom by him for a lot less than 6k and something of equivalent quality/size/style would easily be closer to 10k at a brand name store. I'm not naming him here because he prefers to be rated elsewhere and not use this forum for his business. He'll speak up if he wants to. You can pm me too.

3 months is 1/4 of a year, isn't it? Any woman who would allow that........kind of nonsense......

A friend of mine (and to many on here) received a motorcycle in lieu/as an engagement ring.

3 months is 1/4 of a year, isn't it? Any woman who would allow that........kind of nonsense......

Agreed. That's just stupid. I don't know why so many men fall for that unwritten rule.

He wayyyy overpaid for that ring if he spent $6k on it, it's not worth anywhere close to that as you can tell by the appraisal (appraisals are always a lot higher than what you should have actually paid). I spent what I wanted to spend to get a ring that my wife would like, she had no expectations on the cost of it and I have never told her, yes she probably has a rough idea. She did not want me to spend a lot and would be happy with whatever I gave her but I wanted to get her something that she would really love and was not expecting.

Back
Top Bottom