Does racism still exist? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does racism still exist?

max_power

Do you believe racism still exists in today's society? Are people still as ignorant as they were decades ago? Judging and treating people differently based on their race/creed/etc? Have you ever been a victim/witness of racism?

Discuss.

This type of topic is very close to being a societal taboo, and I am not sure of the motivation of the original poster to even broach the subject.

Do not be surprised if this thread goes away.

Definitely there and always will be. As a race, we started out as a bunch of small bands of inbreds. Everybody in your group looked like you and everybody who looked different was competition for food/shelter. That's the original source of racism, so it will always exist in some way shape or form as long as we're human, no matter how much intellectually we know there's no real basis in modern world.

Yes, absolutely.

Ironically, In North America there is very little racism compared to the rest of the world and yet we make the biggest stink about it.

Trust me, people from Europe, Asia, hell anywhere else are a lot more racist. Its just how it is. Their societies are not exposed to as many ethnicities as we are in Canada, US, etc

Even if racism somehow disappeared we'd still find ways to categorize people into groups and rip on them. Some small part will be based on legitimate observations that get skewed into stereotypes. But ultimately, we're pattern recognizing creatures that are wired to identify differences and assign some arbitrary meaning to them. For example, I hate anyone who wears a red shirt because they're stupid :p

Unless evolution somehow breeds out this characteristic (if that's even possible) I think the best we can do is to improve our ability to recognize when we're being racist and curb that behaviour. In fact, I think we're already doing this and this is why there's less perceived racism these days. IMHO of course.

Last edited:
The only way racism will disappear is if we get invaded by aliens. I'm not joking either. That's the only way we will put away our differences.

It exists and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Unfortunately we have victim groups. These groups include everybody except able bodied straight white males. If you're in a black 'hood even able bodied straight white males are a victim group. So, everybody is a victim. When somebody treats you rudely or unfairly you can choose to believe it's racism or you can choose to believe sometimes people treat other people badly just because.........

In before caboose.

downey-jr-tropic-thunder.jpg

This type of topic is very close to being a societal taboo, and I am not sure of the motivation of the original poster to even broach the subject.

Do not be surprised if this thread goes away.

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. The reason I decided to ask this question is because a situation happened at work and the person being "punished" pulled the "Im Arabic and you're prejudice because I'm a muslim" card. Even though that had nothing to do with what actually happened and his inability to do his job properly.

By today's standards, I thought this "mentality" no longer exists. Just a thought, that's all.

I was going to say you aren't a visible "minority" are you?

Always going to exist at some level and always gonna be someone that will play the racism card even though it's not the case. And there's always gonna be ppl that cry foul on racism, but do it themselves and claim they aren't....or just can't see themselves for what they really are. Division based on race, creed, colour of your shirt or the vehicle you ride will always be there.just a matter of degrees.

Hell ya, racism still exists. Even the once mighty white male is not immune from it--at least, in multi-cultural cities.

For examples of overt racism, you don't have to look much further than popular culture, television, and movies. The vast majority are of one race: white. Lead roles given to whites--even if the character being played is of another race. If there's a "visible minority", then they play secondary roles in a racial stereotyped character: think the dumb Mexican used for comic relief.

Also, take a look at online dating profiles. It's not unusual to see profiles specifically saying stuff like "no black, no asians", and that it's "just their preference". People are likely born wanting to have sex with men or women or both. However, the same can't be said for which race you prefer to sleep with. Racial preference is learned behaviour, IMO. And, it certainly doesn't help the situation when the majority of attractive people, represented in popular culture, are whites.

And, racism is also self-inflicted, too. Think: the high number of interracial unions of Japanese-CND to whites.

But, nowadays, everyone is being discriminated against--or being given unfair advantages over others: whether they be fat, short, tall, too white, too black, too asian, gay, big footed, female, blond, etc, etc. As, as inreb mentioned, you can play the role of victim. Or, take control of your life.

There's Black Bike Week in the US.
There's Black History Month.
There's the Gay Pride in Toronto
There's Latino Heritage Month.

Try to get anything for white people, and everyone instantly is up in arms and gets all excited.

Do I particularly care? No. People are people. Forget all the "I'm XXXX so I'm Special!" celebrations. Everyone should be equal and any stigma that is harped upon to make them stand out should be thrown out.

One of the worst examples (maybe not racism per say, but a social stigma) I have seen, and I couldn't believe it, was black on black...
Black guy, dates white girl, everyone is cool with it.
Black girl, dates white guy - I've witnessed comments like "why you dating a white guy? A strong black man not good enough for you or something?"

Just had to shake my head.

One crazy example of how easy it is to twist childen is here -- please watch this (and it's from the 60's).

[video=youtube;VeK759FF84s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeK759FF84s[/video]

Good vid. Really doesn't take much to start discrimination. Everyone wants to be special in whatever small way, so we jump on any thing that makes us feel better than another. Children or adults of any age.

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. The reason I decided to ask this question is because a situation happened at work and the person being "punished" pulled the "Im Arabic and you're prejudice because I'm a muslim" card. Even though that had nothing to do with what actually happened and his inability to do his job properly.

By today's standards, I thought this "mentality" no longer exists. Just a thought, that's all.

if the person you work with pulled that response, right wrong or purple doesn't matter, then you know racism exists and this thread isn't really required.

I think it's a valid thread/question. He didn't know it still existed. This educated him. Win. If you aren't exposed to something, you aren't aware of it. Now he and maybe others are aware that the "problem" still exists. Maybe not like it did in the 60s, but to some degree still.

Also, take a look at online dating profiles. It's not unusual to see profiles specifically saying stuff like "no black, no asians", and that it's "just their preference". People are likely born wanting to have sex with men or women or both. However, the same can't be said for which race you prefer to sleep with. Racial preference is learned behaviour, IMO.

Bull crap. Sexual attraction has nothing to do with race. That statement is akin to saying if someone is attracted to blondes, they are prejudice to gingers.

Yes, because people are stupid. We all evolved on this planet... I can't fathom why one person would think they're better than another because of race, where they were born, or by the colour of their skin. It's mostly really ignorant or stupid people that hang on to those beliefs, people that can't see the big picture that we're all on the same planet, which is relatively tiny in this vast openness of space.

Maybe early childhood education should include "What is raw human nature" rather than prettying everything up with fairy tales. Of course then any bright kid would soon ask "Why did you make me born"?

Back
Top Bottom