Charging system problem with DRZ400 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Charging system problem with DRZ400

dirtbag

My 2004 DRZ400 wasn't charging. My multimeter was showing the exact same reading 12.5v with the bike off as it did with it running at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle.

Before I bought the bike some spilt gas caused a minor fire that melted some of the harness but the bike still fires up and runs good. I have since found that the DC leads from the regulator/rectifer were melted enough to allow them to corrode. I pulled the R/R and soldered in new lengths of wires. Now when I fire it up and crank the throttle I see a slight increase up to 12.95v.

I think I should be seeing at least 13.5v to indicate a good charging system. Can anyone confirm that? Or offer up a suggestion for the slight increase? Can I get by with 12.95V?

Thanks in advance.

check the system from the start to finish. Stator / rectfier / harness / battery.

If you need help, PM ME. I would not thinkk 12.95 V is ideal - but you might be able to get by.

But - what would that drop to with the rad fan on?

Thanks all,

Steve I'm not sure what rpm - just a good twist of the wrist, maybe about half to 3/4 throttle. I'm trying to hold a lead on each terminal and crank the throttle at the same time so specifics are a bit sketchy.

MXS thanks for the link I'll work thru that.

I plan to redo the check with the bike just running and then again with high beam, signal, brake and horn all at once. Checking the red and black back to the battery is a good idea and also the r/r tests.

The lower voltage never gave me a trouble when using a lead acid battery, because they will recharge even if you never reach the recommended 13.5min voltage. But when I put in a Life-Po battery, I used to run it in total loss mode ... because they really need at least 13.5 to start recharging.

It's definitely better to fix it. There's also another recommended mod regarding stator. Some DRZ's were known to lose them because the mounting bolts were not properly locked with red loctite. I'd say check on that as well ... though I am not saying that this has anything to do with the other issue.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Like my wise friend Brian says it's usually something small.

I checked the alternator wires for resistance and they were good. Then I checked res from the red & black back to the battery and only one was good.

Found some wire with good sized connecters from an old dryer wiring harness (being a packrat pays off) and made new leads back to the battery. Fired it up and just watched the volts rise to about 13.5!

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom